Elephant in the city

Chiengmaijoe

A friend told me he used to see them all the time in the city but has not seen one for a couple of years after the law was passed. Was it really that bad? Were the elephants mistreated? That is an honest question. I really don't know.

A friend told me he used to see them all the time in the city but has not seen one for a couple of years after the law was passed. Was it really that bad? Were the elephants mistreated? That is an honest question. I really don't know.

Your friend is quite right, and it wasn't that long ago. Sometimes as many as 5 or 6 wandering the streets, young and old. Just walking on the hot Tarmac and having to work such long hours was mistreatment enough. There was a good article in Chiangmai City News about it. Street elephants suffer quite a bit and life-expectancy is greatly lowered.

www.chiangmainews.com/ecmn/viewfa.php?id=1975

Edited by Chiengmaijoe

Common sight in Bangkok, an elephant walking through the bar areas with a ref tail light hanging from his tail and his handler/s selling bananas at outrageous prices. Of course there are falangs breaking their necks for a photo opportunity.Frankly disgusting and an elephant does suffer damage from walking constantly on concrete and the general noise and disorientation. Of course there is the regular "crackdown" on such practices but it doesn't take long to become a regular sight again. There is a law against it but a "law" in Thailand... like no prositution and you must wear a helmet on a motorcycle.

Just another example of Man's callous inhumanity toward man and beast.

Frankly, it disgusts me.

I am sickened by it, and will not be sorry when the world sees the last this inhumane treatment, and maybe Man himself --- a failed species destined to destroy his race as a result of his own insensitivity.

Common sight in Bangkok, an elephant walking through the bar areas with a ref tail light hanging from his tail and his handler/s selling bananas at outrageous prices. Of course there are falangs breaking their necks for a photo opportunity.Frankly disgusting and an elephant does suffer damage from walking constantly on concrete and the general noise and disorientation. Of course there is the regular "crackdown" on such practices but it doesn't take long to become a regular sight again. There is a law against it but a "law" in Thailand... like no prositution and you must wear a helmet on a motorcycle.

IMO one of the main reasons that there is so much law violation is that there are just so many laws in Thailand. I think it would be so much easier for the BIB to enforce the laws if there weren't so many. One way to lower the number would possibly be to combine some of the laws ...... take 2 and make 1 law out of it.

Like in the example above. Make it a law that you must wear a helmet when <removed>......... Much easier to remember.

Edited by onthedarkside
inappropriate/offensive comment removed
  • Like 1

IMO one of the main reasons that there is so much law violation is that there are just so many laws in Thailand. I think it would be so much easier for the BIB to enforce the laws if there weren't so many. One way to lower the number would possibly be to combine some of the laws ...... take 2 and make 1 law out of it.

Like in the example above. Make it a law that you must wear a helmet when <removed>......... Much easier to remember.

In all societies, the longer a government is in power, the more rules in place to the point that they finally become strangling.

But I would wish to see more laws on the books and enforced to protect our natural environment and the creatures in it. I do not give a flying ____ about protecting billions of idiots walking upright carrying tools.

So I want to see elephants' welfare rigorously protected in Thailand!

These seem to be rather sentient beings that are able to feel even more than physical pain.

When I see their mistreatment by men,

I would not mind in the least seeing those men rot.

As well as the men who condone it, or turn a blind eye,

ROT TOO.