Thai Cabinet approves 'no alcohol drinking' campaign during Buddhist Lent

webfact

Give the muslims their due, at least they respect their religious bans.

After working in the Middle East for over 30 years I'll take that with a large pinch of salt wink.png

A very very very very large pinch of salt, indeed - I lived in Muslim countries also for a very long time !

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Give the muslims their due, at least they respect their religious bans.

After working in the Middle East for over 30 years I'll take that with a large pinch of salt wink.png

A very very very very large pinch of salt, indeed - I lived in Muslim countries also for a very long time !

I'd dearly love to see them given their due...

thumbsup.gif What is an birthday anniversary? He is getting 86 when I am not completely wrong!

Yes you are completely wrong. Try to READ to OP again.coffee1.gif

Please explain why the question is so wrong I also have a little difficulty understanding. Thanks

It's in honour of TWO people. The king is NOT the Supreme Patriach: Google or read #40

Thank you, it is, however, poorly written and could have been made much more clear.

• 5 weeks later...

But I'm not Buddhist. Politics and religion. Never a good mix.

No, but you live in a buddhist country so respect their rules

I believe Buddhism does not say no drinking, just all things in moderation. It's the fervent Sangha yahoos who want to control people, not in the name of Buddhism, but in the name of their own perverted idea of "morality". Meanwhile, look at the mess they have themselves in...almost as bad as the catholic church!

"Alcohol is a threat to the society as it leads to violence and crimes in the society; in addition, drinkers risk developing up to 60 different of diseases, added the spokesperson."

This is provably wrong. There are hundreds of medical studies proving the great benefits of alcohol consumption. You will not get any disease from alcohol consumption. Alcohol ABUSE is another story.

"He said the statistics show that 23.6 percent of all crimes have been linked to alcohol consumption."

The term 'alcohol consumption' needs to be replaced with 'alcohol abuse'. People who drink in moderation are unlikely to be motivated to commit crime IMHO. I'll bet a higher percentage of crime is caused by users of addictive drugs.

Alcohol in Thailand is taxed the opposite of any country I know of. The stronger spirits have the lowest tax and beer and wine have the highest tax. Everywhere else bases taxes on percentage of alcohol in the beverage. Higher taxes on lao khao and whisky and lower taxes on beer and wine will change people's behavior faster than government edicts and announcements.

• Like 1

But I'm not Buddhist. Politics and religion. Never a good mix.

No, but you live in a buddhist country so respect their rules

Suuuuuure!

The moment they respect their rules!

coffee1.gif

2 wrongs doesn't make it right

Ahm...bit of a flawed argument, don't you think?

If someone wants to shove some rules down, everybody's throat...shouldn't they lead by good example?

But they don't!

They don't even keep their own rules- and by "they", I don't even mean the average Thai, but the guys who put these stupid rules in place.

I have not studied Buddhism, but I guess, there are rules about...let's say...drinking alcohol, drug- use, the killing of other people...

Just think about it for a second!

Holier than thou' comes to mind!

...and by the way: if you have ever been to the "entertainment" - parts of town, you can see (not only on religious holidays) how the teachings of the Buddha are raped and kicked on a regular basis.

So please, don't give me the "Buddhist- country"- crap!

As with all religions: it is Buddhist/Christian/ Muslim...when you need it to be!

The rest of the time? ho gives a hoot about the teachings of Buddha?