What is your monthy budget ?

Billy The Kid

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am a full time pool player, six times a week in fact except on Saturday. Bought two condos in 2005 cos the Pool scene in Pattaya is fantastic, probably the best in the world. Preparing myself for retirement in either next year or 2015. I just want a feelers of Expat experience. Swimming everyday is also my other hobby. Of course the Bargirls is another choice but they are not far away from my two main hobbies. Maybe one a week will be sufficient for me.

I have to say ... I like your refreshing honesty (Maybe one a week will be sufficient for me. laugh.png )

You seem to have it well sorted ... thumbsup.gif

Enjoy the Lifestyle ...

• Like 1

I am a full time pool player, six times a week in fact except on Saturday. Bought two condos in 2005 cos the Pool scene in Pattaya is fantastic, probably the best in the world. Preparing myself for retirement in either next year or 2015. I just want a feelers of Expat experience. Swimming everyday is also my other hobby. Of course the Bargirls is another choice but they are not far away from my two main hobbies. Maybe one a week will be sufficient for me.

I have to say ... I like your refreshing honesty (Maybe one a week will be sufficient for me. laugh.png )

You seem to have it well sorted ... thumbsup.gif

Enjoy the Lifestyle ...

Thank you David, Much appreciated for your nice words.thumbsup.gif

You'll get a ton of people coming on and telling you that it's impossible to live in Thailand on 50,000B p/m and a load more saying they couldn't spend that much if they tried.

Yes it is possible. Very possible. Especially if you don't drink or pick up bar girls....but if you don't then why the dump that is Pattaya? It can't be for the beaches or culture.

All other things aside, there is no way Thailand has a better pool scene than the Philippines. I understand if you like the scene as far as pool goes in Thailand it is a good scene. But best in the world? I don't think so.

if you have no accom payments to make i'm sure 50 k will do you fine. It'll go a lot further than it would on the emerald isle. No kids to pay for, no regular travel expenses, skilled workers here still get 12 - 20 k a month and that can be family breadwinner

You'll get a ton of people coming on and telling you that it's impossible to live in Thailand on 50,000B p/m and a load more saying they couldn't spend that much if they tried.

Yes it is possible. Very possible. Especially if you don't drink or pick up bar girls....but if you don't then why the dump that is Pattaya? It can't be for the beaches or culture.

Full time pool player???? You must be very easily amused, unless of course, you are one of the best and doing it for a living.

Full time pool player???? You must be very easily amused, unless of course, you are one of the best and doing it for a living.

Doing for fun and freebies (free dinners) smile.png

Doing for fun and freebies (free dinners) smile.png

Just hope you don't come up against Pat Garrett.

I have no fixed budget but I see many people living on 50k per month easily in Bangkok. I think if you are not paying rent then you will have a good time with that. Maybe a chill morning swim/walk. Afternoon heat in the AC in your room (Mine runs 24 hours a day for about 1500 per month. But its the new energy efficient style.) Evening of pool with a few beers. Sounds like an easy retired life if you wish to do that man. Best of luck to ya.

I think you`ll do fine.

Your 2 main interests are free or minimal cost.( occasional table fee, 20 baht for pool playing ? )

I don`t play pool but do like watching sometimes.

I like live music,a few beers at a bar listening to some band playing and that`s a decent night out for me.

reading, some studying, a little walking all either free or minimal cost ( buy some books, hence the minimal cost part )

My electric bill for a month is about 1500 baht ( large studio ) and water fixed cost 360 baht, live with GF, if lived alone water cost would be 180 baht.

Happy enough with my life here

Could spend more, lucky have no great desire to do so.

Holiday when I want, eat what I want etc.

No regrets.

smile.png

We went to the Big Buddah Temple. 20 Baht for flowers, joss sticks and gold leaf and we made merit to Buddah 20 Baht each to the monk to get his blessing.

There's something wrong there.

Why?

That is the way very many Thai people do it.

Well done.

Now consider my sentence again. ;)

My income is about 40k a month. Own my house, car, m/bike, no debts. Power average 1200 baht. Water 100 baht. Internet 640. Cell about 200. iPad 400. Food - about 6-7k inc dining out (not often). Entertainment - drinks a couple of nights a week, so say about 8k. Incidentals negligible. No health costs (touch wood) as I'm in the Thai social security system. To sum up, not being a Jack-the-lad (getting too old) and just enjoying a laid back semi-retirement is not difficult to do on my income. I live several klicks inland from Jomtien, btw. Quiet, but with all services fairly close by.

• Like 1

I have no fixed budget but I see many people living on 50k per month easily in Bangkok. I think if you are not paying rent then you will have a good time with that. Maybe a chill morning swim/walk. Afternoon heat in the AC in your room (Mine runs 24 hours a day for about 1500 per month. But its the new energy efficient style.) Evening of pool with a few beers. Sounds like an easy retired life if you wish to do that man. Best of luck to ya.

1500THB per month for 24 hours a day seems incredibly low. Do you have any more info on these new "energy efficient' units, make / model / price / availabiltiy etc.

Be interested in a couple of them.

Thanks

I think you`ll do fine.

Your 2 main interests are free or minimal cost.( occasional table fee, 20 baht for pool playing ? )

I don`t play pool but do like watching sometimes.

I like live music,a few beers at a bar listening to some band playing and that`s a decent night out for me.

reading, some studying, a little walking all either free or minimal cost ( buy some books, hence the minimal cost part )

My electric bill for a month is about 1500 baht ( large studio ) and water fixed cost 360 baht, live with GF, if lived alone water cost would be 180 baht.

Happy enough with my life here

Could spend more, lucky have no great desire to do so.

Holiday when I want, eat what I want etc.

No regrets.

smile.png

I dont pay for the tables. The bar owner wanted me to play for them in the pubs league three night a week so they allow me to play for free,.. I paid for the baize repairs and new balls, i think they are happy with that, They also have two tables for customers and another table for private and pubs league night only.

No kids? Easy as.

I have three , they are now adult, time for me to retire and go out and enjoy rather than sitting in a armchair watching TV with pouring rain outside in Ireland.

50,000 baht over and above rent. Piece of cake.

I am retired and have three grown sons also. I have a little set aside for them for when I pass away.

They all three told me forget them and spend it on myself.

• Like 1

No kids? Easy as.

I have three , they are now adult, time for me to retire and go out and enjoy rather than sitting in a armchair watching TV with pouring rain outside in Ireland.

50,000 baht over and above rent. Piece of cake.

I am retired and have three grown sons also. I have a little set aside for them for when I pass away.

They all three told me forget them and spend it on myself.

Lucky man, you have a good sons, most kids in the world would be waiting and expecting the windfall.

if you had a good standerd of life/living in your home country, why would you want to live bellow that standerd?

whatever anyone spends, as long as they are happy with that, well that fine with me,

our bigest expence, in my view is oue true TV,

yes some will say you can live without that, yes i agree, but i had the full sky package in the uk so why not here,

we dont have to pay rent,

i wouldnt like to put a sum on what we spend a month as some is different to other months, shoping ect,

but i will say its not expencive, to live here, in my opinion anyway,

we shop most of the time in the local mrkt, better and fresher food,

the pork is fresh killed that morning, and the veg is beautiful,

yes we do go to big,c, for some things, again mainly stuff i want,

ok, ill give a rough sum of 20,000

shoot away,,lol

jake

I'm finding this thread interesting because I have no idea. I visit twice a year, usually for 90 days but there's no doubt I spend more than if I lived there.

I toured Isaan for the whole month of April. But I rented a car in BKK and stayed in hotels every night. I ate all meals out. The car alone cost 30,000 bht with insurance, plus gasoline. I don't even know how much I spent. My utilities, internet, etc. were all covered by the hotels, making the hotels not so bad, really. Food was various, whatever I stumbled onto from street food to a good farang food restaurant in Surin (hidden back out of the way if you know it) to meals in hotels etc.

I'm learning a lot from the thread.