When do you consider yourself to be Thai?

Chittychangchang

Everyone has a different perception of Thainess.

Around the globe many people have found themselves another country and settling there.

Some might consider themselves to be Thai when they have Thai citizenship and a Thai passport.

Others would say when you have lived here for a number of years.

On a scale of 1-10 how Thai are you.

1, Tourist

2, Spend months of the year chilling here speaking some Thai and respecting the culture and customs.

3, Working here for x amount of years

4, Have a home and family here

9, Attained citizenship, speak/read/write Thai.

10, Was born here.

What is your perception and thoughts of Thainess and can you fill in the blanks?

CCC

A Thai passport...

But see Thainess as a non issue, I'll never be Thai so it doesn't matter.

That doesn't prevent me from seeing a Thai perspective or having opinions for or against Thailand the Thai way or its Western equivalents...

So... I don't see 'a Thai way' as in Thainess or a 'Western way' as in Westernised... I just see a better way, sometimes a compromise, sometimes not.... Logic and individual merit of each situation yields an individual response neither Thai nor Western...

Thainess.... Does such a thing really exist ?

• Like 2

when you see like Thai

when you think like Thai

when you act like Thai

and, at the end of the day, I don't even ask yourself why you do it as such, then you are Thai !

or another word - when the time you don't ask why and you don't feel any cultural shock !

Many of the Thais I know are trying to be more Western. From watching American TV shows, movies and obviously social networks such as FB and others. Thainess is a fast fading attribute here. So as a Westerner living here I am already "Thai" , just waiting for the rest of the locals to catch up.

• Like 1

I'm about no.7.

Home here, family(Thai wife), dogs, car, job. Can speak and read Thai. Been here 20 years.

Pluck my nose hairs in public and some other things I'd never have thought I would do. Applying for Citizenship.

• Like 1

Anyone not born of 2 Thai parents who considers himself Thai will be alone in that opinion in the sense that no other Thai people will consider him a Thai - no matter what.

And rightfully so.

I know a Hmong woman working in Bangkok. She has a Thai passport, so she must be Thai?

Not really. She is Hmong. That's her identity and that's how Thais see her.

Anyone not born of 2 Thai parents who considers himself Thai will be alone in that opinion in the sense that no other Thai people will consider him a Thai - no matter what.

Nonsense.

My kids have one Thai parent only but are Thai. What about Thongchai P'Bird McIntyre - are you saying people don't think he is Thai? Tata Young etc.

Nonsense.

My kids have one Thai parent only but are Thai. What about Thongchai P'Bird McIntyre - are you saying people don't think he is Thai? Tata Young etc.

They will be Thai as long as they are successful. The day they stumble or make an error they will not be Thai.

I question the mental health of a successful westerner that would wish to be "Thai".

Thailand can be a wonderful place with many admirable attributes. However, a successful, accomplished, well balanced person isn't going to put becoming Thai at the top of his/her bucket list.

• Like 2

I'd probally rate a 4/5 on the scale.

Home in Thailand and U.K

Thai spouse and three wonderful Luk Krueng children.

Extended family in Thailand.

Attend Temple - We are all Buddhists as opposed to Christians.

Speak conversational Thai.

CCC

13,the villagers where my ex comes from where very surprised to see that i could eat the most spiciest version of som tam without me giving a nudge.

But thatt evening on the toilet ......luckely that thing did not explode.

Edited by Kudel