Thread Killer?

thaibebop

Are you a thread killer? :o Many times I find a thread and I respond to it, only to find that I am the last person to respond to it, and it was very active before I got there. Bad timing perhaps? :D

Okay, so I wonder what about my post, is that is what it was, killed the thread. Got me thinking, how do you kill a thread? So, for those who kill threads on purpose and those like me who do it by mistake, what are the best ways to kill a thread? :D

• Replies 336
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

At the far right are several large areas of activity in numerical linear algebra and related topics, typically, the study of individual matrices or transformations between (large-dimensional) real vector spaces. Numerical linear algebra per se (e.g. the determination of fast methods of solving thousands of simultaneous linear equations, the stability of eigenvalue calculations, applications to finite-element methods, sparse matrix techniques) are parts of 65: Numerical Analysis, particularly 65F: Numerical linear algebra. Here we include several fields of inquiry into the underlying linear systems and their applications. In this category we might include 15A06: Linear equations, 15A09: Matrix inversion and generalized inverses, 15A18: Eigenvalues and singular values, 15A23: Factorization of matrices (SVD, LU, QR, etc.), 15A12: Conditioning of matrices, as well as applications to physics (15A90), Control Theory (93) and Statistics (62) such as what is there known as Principal Component Analysis. Related topics include those of importance in 90: Operations Research (especially linear programming) such as 15A48: Positive matrices, 15A39: Linear inequalities, and 15A45: Miscellaneous matrix inequalities.

The circles in shades of red in the lower part of the graph show connections with other fields of algebra. Furthest down is 15A72: Invariant theory and tensor algebra, which crosses to the study of invariants in Group Theory (20) and in polynomial rings (13: Commutative Algebra and 14: Algebraic Geometry). Certain sets of matrices form well-known groups, particularly the Lie groups (22) and algebraic groups. Closer to the center of the picture are connections with Number Theory (10 and 11), especially 15A63: Quadratic forms. There are several connections with ring theory (16: Noncommutative Rings, 17: Nonassociative Rings, 19: Algebraic K-Theory); indeed many of the key examples of such rings involve collections of matrices, including the full matrix rings and Lie rings, and rings of matrices are used for representing groups and general rings. Related disciplines within Linear Algebra include 15A27: Commutativity, 15A30: Algebraic systems of matrices, 15A33: Matrices over special rings (including 12: Fields), 15A36: Matrices of integers, 15A75: Grassmann algebras, and 15A78: Other algebras. Tensor products in linear algebra (15A69) mirror such constructs in other algebraic categories.

Nearby are several fields in discrete mathematics, including the use of matrices for the representation of combinatorical objects such as graphs (05: Combinatorics), extremal matrices, permanents (15A15), and applications to 68:Computer Science, 94: Information Theory (e.g. linear codes), and 39: Difference equations.

In the upper left are the papers in "geometric algebra", including 15A66 (Clifford algebras), 81 (Quantum theory), 53 (Differential Geometry), and 58 (Analysis on manifolds).

In the upper right are the topics appropriate for 60: Probability and 62: Statistics, including 15A51: Stochastic matrices and 15A52: Random matrices, and applications to statistical mechanics (82) and the sciences (92).

Linear maps of geometric interest are considered in the geometry pages (51, 52). For example, rotation matrices and affine changes of coordinates come under 51F15. Sets of matrices qua sets arise geometrically as well; for example certain families of matrices form manifolds, and even topological groups (22).

Subfields

There is only one division (15A) but it is subdivided:

15A03: Vector spaces, linear dependence, rank

15A04: Linear transformations, semilinear transformations

15A06: Linear equations

15A09: Matrix inversion, generalized inverses

15A12: Conditioning of matrices, See also 65F35

15A15: Determinants, permanents, other special matrix functions, See also 19B10, 19B14

15A18: Eigenvalues, singular values, and eigenvectors

15A21: Canonical forms, reductions, classification

15A22: Matrix pencils, See also 47A56

15A23: Factorization of matrices

15A24: Matrix equations and identities

15A27: Commutativity

15A29: Inverse problems [new in 2000]

15A30: Algebraic systems of matrices, See also 16S50, 20Gxx, 20Hxx

15A33: Matrices over special rings (quaternions, finite fields, etc.)

15A36: Matrices of integers, See also 11C20

15A39: Linear inequalities

15A42: Inequalities involving eigenvalues and eigenvectors

15A45: Miscellaneous inequalities involving matrices

15A48: Positive matrices and their generalizations; cones of matrices

15A51: Stochastic matrices

15A52: Random matrices

15A54: Matrices over function rings in one or more variables

15A57: Other types of matrices (Hermitian, skew-Hermitian, etc.)

15A60: Norms of matrices, numerical range, applications of functional analysis to matrix theory, See also 65F35, 65J05

15A63: Quadratic and bilinear forms, inner products See mainly 11Exx

15A66: Clifford algebras, spinors

15A69: Multilinear algebra, tensor products

15A72: Vector and tensor algebra, theory of invariants, See Also 13A50, 14D25

15A75: Exterior algebra, Grassmann algebras

15A78: Other algebras built from modules

15A90: Applications of matrix theory to physics

15A99: Miscellaneous topics

At the far right are several large areas of activity in numerical linear ................ns of matrix theory to physics

Holy Sh1t ç.,,ç :o:D:D:D

Are you a thread killer? :D Many times I find a thread and I respond to it, only to find that I am the last person to respond to it, and it was very active before I got there. Bad timing perhaps? :D

Okay, so I wonder what about my post, is that is what it was, killed the thread. Got me thinking, how do you kill a thread? So, for those who kill threads on purpose and those like me who do it by mistake, what are the best ways to kill a thread? :D

sssssshhhhhhhh!!!!!! :o

Holy Sh1t ç.,,ç :o:D:D:D

Yup, religion puts a stop to many things - threads, rational free thought, lives, childhood innocence, ancient civilisations, good rock music, staying in bed on whatever is the sabbath, not fearing god, friendships, the attention of others, ............

If you look back, most threads that stop suddenly, rather than run out of steam naturally, are the ones where some member adds a thread that includes one or more of the following:

1. Objectivity.

2. Common sense.

3. Balanced opinion.

4. Reason.

5. Suggesting that the answer to violent crime may not be violent mob punishment.

6. At certain times of the day, sobriety.

I hate people who do that. They should be strung up and shot.

But, you know, the real mystery is those new threads that you known you saw earlier but can't find again. Where do they go?

:D

Yep, that'll work Tax. :D

Ahhhh... but it didn't in this case did it ?? :o

totster :D

But you might have done it. Darn!! :D

Might as well continue then. What's bound to keep a thread going, but not necessarily on topic? Threads that include one or more of the following:

1. Off topic remarks.

2. Personal attacks.

3. Criticism of a poster's spelling, grammar or girlfriend.

4. Comments about gut-bucket farangs.

5. Comments about old farangs.

6. Comments about bg's.

7. Questions about the best way to own land in LOS even though the law says you can't.

Yes, you don't have to kill a thread stone dead. You can torture it a bit first - provided that you fly it to a country where that's allowed.

Ahhhh... but it didn't in this case did it ?? :o

Ahhh, but if that had been posted in a thread related to that subject, it quite likely would have ended any further discussion.

I was a bit annoyed a few times when I spent a lot of time and effort to compose a well thought-out, comprehensive response to a thread, only to see that no one ever replied afterwards.

Where the points I brought up that good that no one could counter them ?

Was the post so long-winded that people gave up on it, or forgot why they were there in the first place (like tax's example above) ?

Did I just happen to add my response at the time when everyone else had already had their say, and were no longer interested in the subject ?

Maybe it has something to do with people seeing who had the last post in the subject, and not wanting to read anything that person has to say ?

Maybe a butterfly flapped it's wings in South America, at the same time as you posted your reply, and the chaos theory aspect of that action resulted in that thread being killed ?

Or maybe some "Intelligent Designer" decided that the thread was no longer pertinent and has turned everyone's attention to different matters.

Ahhhh... but it didn't in this case did it ?? :D

Ahhh, but if that had been posted in a thread related to that subject, it quite likely would have ended any further discussion.

Correct.

I was a bit annoyed a few times when I spent a lot of time and effort to compose a well thought-out, comprehensive response to a thread, only to see that no one ever replied afterwards.

Could be.

Where the points I brought up that good that no one could counter them ?

Was the post so long-winded that people gave up on it, or forgot why they were there in the first place (like tax's example above) ?

Did I just happen to add my response at the time when everyone else had already had their say, and were no longer interested in the subject ?

Some people are just one shot deals.

Maybe it has something to do with people seeing who had the last post in the subject, and not wanting to read anything that person has to say ?

:DI hope not, I though some people liked me here.

Maybe a butterfly flapped it's wings in South America, at the same time as you posted your reply, and the chaos theory aspect of that action resulted in that thread being killed ?

Is that where he is? I thought he was in France. :D

Or maybe some "Intelligent Designer" decided that the thread was no longer pertinent and has turned everyone's attention to different matters.

That's the one I would vote for. :o

Edited by thaibebop

Nah... it's really quite simple... everone was either too drunk... :D or they were just plain bored... :o

Nah... it's really quite simple... everone was either too drunk... :D or they were just plain bored... :o

Always taking the mystery out of the world Jai Dee. :D

Nah... it's really quite simple... everone was either too drunk... :D or they were just plain bored... :D

A "thread killer" perchance? :o

Actually I was trying to wind Kerry up... but it looks like he's not biting... :D

Nah... it's really quite simple... everone was either too drunk... :D or they were just plain bored... :D

A "thread killer" perchance? :o

Actually I was trying to wind Kerry up... but it looks like he's not biting... :D

I was just messing with ya.

Huh ? Did I miss something ? :D

I'd go with the bored part. Like taxexile's example above, people just can't be bothered reading the whole thing and end up moving on to something more exciting (and easier to understand).

BTW Jai Dee, the fun starts in 7 days and you haven't told me where exactly you live :o

I've got my trusty brace of 5 baht water pistols fully loaded and sitting in the fridge :D

BTW Jai Dee, the fun starts in 7 days and you haven't told me where exactly you live :o

I've got my trusty brace of 5 baht water pistols fully loaded and sitting in the fridge :D

Load those pistols up with chilled Chang and I suspect he will readily supply his address. :D

Load those pistols up with chilled Chang and I suspect he will readily supply his address. :D

Reminds me of a senior prank played on the froshmen my junior year. Seniors ran through the froshmen locker area with supersoakers filled with piss and throwing flour and eggs at the froshmen. Ugly, man, real ugly.

Yup, topics that can hold people's attention, or that go off topic in an interesting way. If a topic starts and doesn't say or ask anything - it dies, and no one mourns!

Yup, topics that can hold people's attention, or that go off topic in an interesting way. If a topic starts and doesn't say or ask anything - it dies, and no one mourns!

Not like this one though! :o

Not like this one though! :D

What did you do Suegha, kill the thread? Geesh! :o

What did you do Suegha, kill the thread? Geesh! :D

Boo, Hoo, I'm a thread murderer!!! :o:D

What did you do Suegha, kill the thread? Geesh! :D

Boo, Hoo, I'm a thread murderer!!! :o:D

Ten Hail Marys for you Boyo! :D

Just watch this space!!!! :D

If it continues it will be a first! :o

khunlungphudhu, I love your avatar, any significance?

(ps in a vain hope to re-start the thread! is this CPR for a thread?)

As previously posted, time I have anything written, the thread is usually closed.

So appropriate in the circumstances! :D