Cat trade gang apprehended in Nakhon Phanom

Lite Beer

Cat trade gang apprehended in Nakhon Phanom
By English News

NAKHON PHANOM, July 11 - Ninety cats were seized and taken into protective custody in this northeastern province this morning when local authorities arrested members of an illegal transnational cat trade gang, preparing the cats to be smuggled out to Vietnam for use as cat meat in unusual specialty cuisine.

Officers from Provincial Police Region 4 said the cats were bound for market in Vietnam as foreign customers wanted the cat meat for their feline delicacies.

Sodsai Ampawa, 26, of Buri Ram province, was arrested in Ban Phaeng district. In his pickup truck, six plastic cages were found with 90 cats inside. The suspect confessed that he had been hired by a businessman to transport the animals from Mahasarakham province to an area along Thailand's Mekong River border with Lao PDR before they are taken by boat for the river crossing with the final destination being unusual food specialty restaurants in Vietnam.

According to police, this is the first time that shipments of cats have been intercepted in Thailand trade.

The Thai Authorities will investigate further and expect to make added arrests of cat business owners and their suppliers. (MCOT online news)

tnalogo.jpg
-- TNA 2013-07-11

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

it is not the meat or the taste, it is the believe of having wild catch, including dogs and cats.

I was in China somewhere and went for a business dinner in a local place. outside the restaurants couple stacks of cages with all kinds of animals. stupid me I was not aware that they are ready-to-serve. while I was 'zooing' in front of these cages, the business host came and asked me for a choice. nooooo . . . .

they talked about extra-nutrient for specific purposes, and really it is kind of concept back to stone-age !

Tastes just like chicken...

in fact I'd be surprised if anyone can tell the difference, once 'off the bone'.

(otherwise the collar and bell gives it away).

Dont forget continued eating of cat meat may cause fur balls

• Like 2

in fact I'd be surprised if anyone can tell the difference, once 'off the bone'.

Ate barbecue dog in china for about a week, on little barbecue sticks, arroy maak, until someone pointed out that it wasnt beef or pork. Hey, it's meat. Is it even illegal to sell a cat, or catch cats, or eat them?

How come they are so proficient in catching trafficking in mute animals, but so completely useless in finding human trafficking?

People eat what they like that goes for most countries, it upsets many posters IF the cats are peoples pets-this is where the line must stop.

Surely there are enough cats to trade in and eat in the foreign county these were destined for.

Havent these catchers other occupations, or was it a dream at school to become a cat grabber.

Local people should take more care of their pets, and not allow them outside their home or risk them being stolen. (thats if they value them as pets).

As a one time butcher in the U.K. we used to sell Chinese frozen rabbits, with the skins off we could tell the difference between a cat and a rabbit as the kidneys on one are opposite-and the other diagnal. (a bit of useless info).

The other part of the heading was BUSINESSMEN. <deleted>. what sort of businessmen are they when they like go under cover to get money ??? anything that moves here---eat it. amazing.

Yes, cat meat is available in VN, but the great majority not only don't eat it, they have a saying that translates to: "Eat cat - 10 years bad luck" Oh so much worse than a broken mirror.

It may be bad luck but it's readily available in china too. I've seen cat carcasses in markets in several cities in southern China.

I don't object to farm raised animals for human consumption but the smuggling of pets, which is what often happens in Thailand, is very wrong.

• Like 2

It actually tastes like domesticated rabbit. I thought it was rabbit when I ate a hind-quarter off the grill of my friend's BBQ. After I ate it he asked if I like cat meat; that's when he showed me the skin. A little bit later, another friend showed up and ate the other hind-quarter; also thinking it was rabbit. I grew up on a farm and also hunted in the forest. My neighbors were farmers and everyone killed a variety of animals (cattle, sheep, goats, pigs, chickens, ducks, geese) for food. Why is it immoral to kill some non-human animals and not others? Since I grew up in that environment, I took it as natural so was not shocked or angry when my friend showed me that I had eaten cat. I have not eaten cat since and I stopped hunting wild game at age nineteen. I still like to eat some animal protein a few times a week.

• Like 2

Cats are vermin, the stench from filthy cats is revolting and overpowering. They are in plague proportion around our house. Having to clean up their dropping (all over the yard and on patio) and wash the place down twice a day drives you crazy.

If they want some cats they can come and knock themselves out, take as many as they want they are only decease ridden mangy looking strays.

• Like 1

It actually tastes like domesticated rabbit. I thought it was rabbit when I ate a hind-quarter off the grill of my friend's BBQ. After I ate it he asked if I like cat meat; that's when he showed me the skin. A little bit later, another friend showed up and ate the other hind-quarter; also thinking it was rabbit. I grew up on a farm and also hunted in the forest. My neighbors were farmers and everyone killed a variety of animals (cattle, sheep, goats, pigs, chickens, ducks, geese) for food. Why is it immoral to kill some non-human animals and not others? Since I grew up in that environment, I took it as natural so was not shocked or angry when my friend showed me that I had eaten cat. I have not eaten cat since and I stopped hunting wild game at age nineteen. I still like to eat some animal protein a few times a week.

People have a right to eat whatever protein they choose.

If someone wants to raise their own pigs, chickens, cats and dogs for food, that's fine.

But if my pet, or anyone else's, escapes the garden that does not give anyone the right to catch it, sell it, and transport it to another country for food.

What if it is doing it's business all over my patio and making our home stink to high heaven? Obviously the owner doesn't care less as their cat is not doing it on his and he could never understand the problem. I think the victim of these animals have every right to protect their property and remove it for good. If the owner really cared for their cat then they would keep it out of other peoples yards.

Edited by chooka

So what if people like to eat cat or dog?

People it other animals ... cows horse buffalo ... they eat all sorts of fish

I once ate a moose meat steak ... very good indeed

If they wanna eat cats let them

Not to mention lambs and rabbits, in Issan anything that flies or crawls is good eating and even here in Aus we eat camel, kangaroo and crocodile. But even the Vietnamese know that Thailand is the place for quality pussy cat.

Yeah, but in Oz you've got your local beer which kills the taste of anything!

People have a right to eat whatever protein they choose.

If someone wants to raise their own pigs, chickens, cats and dogs for food, that's fine.

But if my pet, or anyone else's, escapes the garden that does not give anyone the right to catch it, sell it, and transport it to another country for food.

It's the same with any livestock. If my neighbor's livestock escapes from its pen, no one has the right to take it. That is stealing. It is also respect for someone's property. We call the neighbor and even help him get his animals back on his property. But, if that neighbor is lazy to keep his fences repaired, he must not complain too much if he doesn't recover ALL his animals. That too is called respect.

Every pet owner has a responsibility to the neighborhood to keep his pets on his own property and not let them roam freely. If the pet owner is not careful, they have no right to complain if someone else 'fixes' the problem.

Study says parasites in cat poop pose major public health risk

http://www.examiner.com/article/study-says-parasites-cat-poop-pose-major-public-health-risk

Edited by rametindallas
  • Like 2

It's amazing really that some people think a cats life is more valuable than a chicken, horse or pig.

Either you are OK with eating animals or you are not.

Yes it is insulting to the chicken.