reliable place to upgrade my tablet OS

THAILIBAN

can anyone recommend a reliable and affordable ( reads: no FARANG-RIP-OFF prices) place where can I get my Samsung 7.7 upgraded from 3.2 to the latest version 4.0 ? 4.1 ? 4.2 ? that is available for this device ?

About how much will that cost me ? And can I actually WAIT while the person is running the upgrade ? I don't like to leave it with somebody I don't know, as a lot of private data is stored on it..... thank you

EDIT: I am looking for a place in Bangkok, forgot to mention this

Edited by THAILIBAN

thanks for our input, but if I wanted to do it by myself, I would not have posted this here. I am a Dummie and have no clue what KIES exactly is and how to use it. And I am not interested in "experimenting" in any way and accidentally change settings or lose data. that's why I rather prefer to have someone doing it for me and pay an acceptable amount for his/her service

If you had any sense you would back your data up to your SD card before you even think of this .. then if the cheapo installer you insist on deletes the firmware which they will to do the upgrade at least you have the data to restore later ..

If you had any sense you would back your data up to your SD card before you even think of this .. then if the cheapo installer you insist on deletes the firmware which they will to do the upgrade at least you have the data to restore later ..

sorry.gif I didn't insist on anything! I just gave three options for the OP to do it himself, If you read the link on the third option, it mentions to do a backup. Quit trolling!

thanks for our input, but if I wanted to do it by myself, I would not have posted this here. I am a Dummie and have no clue what KIES exactly is and how to use it. And I am not interested in "experimenting" in any way and accidentally change settings or lose data. that's why I rather prefer to have someone doing it for me and pay an acceptable amount for his/her service

An acceptable amount would be about 300 baht. But a Samsung Service Center or offical Samsung store might do it free. Should take about 5-10 minutes.

• Like 1

Have you tried plugging it in going to settings and looking for the about tab then search for software update? When I had a Samsung a while back it was all automatic, you find the update and it installs. Just make sure your unit is plugged in so the battery doesn't die while updating.

• Like 1

Samsung Service Center Phuket town. Go shopping/breakfast and come back. Nice and free... MAKE BACKUP of data. The Apps you get back via playstore, cause the store knows what you have used before...

AACHEN (Herzogenrath?), the APPs will be lost when making an update ? That would be weird and I probably would rather not update it then..... I have more than 70 Apps..... unfortunately, I have no clue how to backup my data on a mobile device or even how to move things to an SD card. As I said, I am a Dummie, but if anyone wanna teach me, welcome...... I may be a Dummie, but I am able to learn if someone actually SHOWS me how to do.....

(1) Download GO Backup and run a Batch backup of everything (on the last screen afters it's backed everything up, it asks you to confirm that you want to Save the backup).

(2) Follow Lazygourment's instructions above.

If it has wiped your apps (it doesn't normally), download Go Backup again and run Batch restore.

It won't save your apps settings, that only happens if you're device is rooted (which I'm guessing it isn't), but it will save you reinstalling your apps.

It's not brain surgery.

AACHEN (Herzogenrath?), the APPs will be lost when making an update ? That would be weird and I probably would rather not update it then..... I have more than 70 Apps..... unfortunately, I have no clue how to backup my data on a mobile device or even how to move things to an SD card. As I said, I am a Dummie, but if anyone wanna teach me, welcome...... I may be a Dummie, but I am able to learn if someone actually SHOWS me how to do.....

The backup and reinstalling of apps are only necessary if something goes wrong! If you have a charged battery, there is little chance of something going wrong.

Earlier, you mentioned you didn't know what Samsung KIES is. Samsung KIES is an application that runs on a PC. It's designed for dummies to transfer data (pics, music, videos, and etc...) between the mobile device and a computer. It also allows dummies to easily backup, restore and update the device. You apparently didn't RTFM that came with the tablet. The user manual mentions OTA update {Over The Air update as mentioned above, or as Samsung calls it: FOTA (Firmware Over The Air) update} and tells you how to get Kies. KIES requires a USB data cable (which came with the device) to connect the device to the computer (the data cable is more reliable for transfering data, backup and restore, or updating).

It's always recommened to do backups with any computing device in case anything happens (failure, loss, or f*uck-ups). If the data is so important to you, you should be doing backups already! You should start by installing and using KIES regularly! It will also advise you when new firmware updates become available and allow you to update automatically.

There are dozens of videos on YouTube about updating various Samsung moblile devices! They all work basically the same. Do yourself a favor and watch some. As Chicog mentioned, "It's not brain surgery". If you know how to turn the device on, you can do it. Learn something new!

Edited by BB1950
  • Like 1

Since Samsung in Thailand is in Thai, this link will help you:

Samsung Kies in English

You can download Kies for Windows or Mac and watch very simple videos for dummies on how to do various tasks in English.

If your native language is not English, then you can change to a site that supports you native language (Bottom left side of the page).

Edited by BB1950

Amazing that you need Kies to do this. On the Asus Transformer you just update from the menu and if there is a file there, it will download and install it. And it doesn't wipe any apps or data.

You don't need Kies, but it helps for dummies to use Kies for transfering data, backup and restore, or updating the firmware. The option you mentioned to update via OTA is also available from the device and it also doesn't wipe apps or data, but you could have a problem if the battery is low and dies while updating (WiFi uses more power, whereas the data cable supplies power) .

It's also more difficult to transfer data, backup and restore for dummies without Kies. Many backup apps for Android require the device to be rooted. All Samsung devices come unrooted and rooting requires some technical hacking and invalidates the warranty. Kies is integrated in the firmware of the device, so you can be assured of a successful backup and restore without hacking.

Edited by BB1950