Insurance for Higher Valued Checked in Baggage

Bmouthboyo

Hi Guys,

I will be moving to Thailand with work for the next 2 years at least and so am in the process of planning the move.

Now my wife and I do not really have a great deal we need / want to take so are inclined to use BA's extra checked luggage option to take a total of 5 suitcases instead of paying for sea shipping which takes a good while and often seems to have issues with customs.

Our issue really is that out cases will have a few more valuable items. Mainly one which is a special flight case containing my iMac, and a suitcase we will use for electronics such as PS3, Games, HTPC (small net top) and various bits and pieces of small value.

Can anyone recommend an insurance solution for this? We are mainly concerned about possible theft once the luggage is checked in. We understand damage is of high risk too but will ensure everything is well packed.

Also on a side note will I be OK if the customs pulls me over once we land? Obviously none of the items are brand new however I know if we used sea shipping we would need to provide our work permit etc to be free of import duty and so am a little concerned that upon arrival by plane we will not have this yet and so collard for it.

Thanks in advanced

I would never put a computer in the hold. Either it gets stolen, or bounced around so that it will arrive in bits and pieces.

What I would do is put everything that is possible to detach (cords, keyboard, mouse, stands, PS3 controllers - all cheap and easy to replace) in the hold bag, and take the iMac and the PS3 central units with you into the cabin.

Only put items that you can live without in the hold. Airlines often remind about this with a note "your luggage may travel a longer journey than you."

We have been doing the same thing over the past few years. Bringing over a lot of stuff on the plane vs. shipping.

I highly recommend taking your valuable items with you as carry on luggage. Do not check it. You can carry on quite a bit of stuff. We would have a carry on suitcase along AND large backpack each. That takes care of a lot of stuff.

We've never had a problem with all the other stuff we checked in. That included silverware, crystal, etc. Maybe we were just lucky???

I would never put a computer in the hold. Either it gets stolen, or bounced around so that it will arrive in bits and pieces.

What I would do is put everything that is possible to detach (cords, keyboard, mouse, stands, PS3 controllers - all cheap and easy to replace) in the hold bag, and take the iMac and the PS3 central units with you into the cabin.

Only put items that you can live without in the hold. Airlines often remind about this with a note "your luggage may travel a longer journey than you."

I agree the cabin is best bet but not an option with a 21.5 inch imac I need for work. I cant risk depending in it being allowed in the cabin as hand luggage so have invested in an industrial flight case for it. not ideal but I do not have many options unfortunately.

I am just hoping I can get a good insurance cover for the baggage when checked in, most seem to be however focused upon arrival to destination. I basically want checked baggage insurance but cannot find any anywhere :(

I believe insurers don't provide coverage because the carries under the Warsaw Convention offer a vey very basic policy based on kilos and value up to a certain amount. Perhaps ring the carrier directly and query their offering for high value goods.

It used to be the case that, when a Thai national had been living overseas for more than a year, they were allowed one import-duty-free sea-container plus one air-shipment free. Details of my wife's sea-shipment, from her in the UK to her at our new address in Thailand, were entered in her passport during clearance.

But I later managed to blag a couple of extra hold-luggage bags through customs, at my local airport, by saying that it was our free air-shipment.

This might help with clearing the valuable air-freight through Thai-customs, on the other hand they usually find some way, to take a 'service charge' from you. Mai pen rai, if so ! rolleyes.gif

I have sometimes seen "special hand luggage" which is normally musical instruments (even a classic bass - huge!) brought to the cabin. You can ask for special treatment of luggage which is valuable and/or easily broken. I believe you would be allowed to fly with the 21,5in iMac, only they might want ito stow it away in the locker where they keep busness class coats or such.

Ask your airline.

In any case, as noted above, you cannot get hold luggage insured separately, nor is anyone willing to pay for your loss, because the risk of it going missing is just too big. The other viable but rather costly option is that you send the iMac over via courier (DHL works fine in Thailand). Courier transport is always fully insured.