webfact

GOVT - MILITARY TIES
PM, brass put on show of solidarity

Jeerapong Prasertpolkrung,
Panya Thiosangwan,
Tanatpong Kongsai
The Nation

30210228-01_big.jpg
Prime Minister Yingluck Shinawatra, who serves concurrently as defence minister, takes part in a ceremony yesterday at the ministry compound that officially welcomed her to the post. A group of nationalists opposed to the government attempted to interrupt

300 people stopped from blocking Yingluck at Defence Ministry

BANGKOK: -- Prime Minister Yingluck Shinawatra said yesterday she had never been suspicious of the military and would not interfere in the military reshuffle.

The prime minister held a meeting with the Supreme Commander and the chiefs of the three armed forces, as well as Deputy Defence Minister Yuthasak Sasiprapha, before holding a press conference with them standing behind her.

She said she had come up with policies for them to implement aimed at solving the insurgency in the three southernmost provinces and to prepare the country for the 2015 launch of the ASEAN Economic Community. She also promised to support the military in carrying out its mission.

Asked if she would ask Yuthasak to step down after the leaking of an audio clip that was suspected to feature a conversation between the deputy minister and former prime minister Thaksin Shinawatra, Yingluck said, "How can you ask this question? Don't you have any consideration for him? He [Yuthasak] is standing here."

Yuthasak smiled reluctantly at the prime minister's comment.

Earlier yesterday, anti-government protesters unsuccessfully attempted to block Yingluck from entering the ministry as she began her first day of work there.

Police temporarily closed roads near the ministry to traffic to allow the PM's van to enter.

Yingluck's motorcade entered through the ministry's front gate. Yuthasak led the armed forces chiefs and high-ranking military officials in welcoming her.

Yingluck paid respect to the ministry's spirit houses. Reporters and cameramen were banned from getting too close to her.

Rallying against the clip

Around 300 anti-government protesters tried to block the entrance to the ministry in a show of opposition related to the content of a controversial audio clip recently posted online, but police prevented them from getting close.

Police arrested Army Captain Songklod Chuenchupol, aka Captain Pookem, after he lay down on the road in front of the ministry.

The prime minister earlier cancelled her plan to worship at the City Pillar Shrine.

The controversial audio clip features a conversation between two men, one of whom has been identified as former prime minister Thaksin by his son, Panthongtae. On the tape, they discuss a wide range of politically sensitive issues including a plot to get military support to bring Thaksin back home. Thaksin lives in self-exile abroad after fleeing a corruption conviction.

The protesters were led by Chaiwat Sinsuwong, Admiral Banawit Kengrian, General Preecha Iamsuwan, Admiral Chai Suwannapap and Dr Tul Sitthisomwong, leader of the multicoloured group.

They said they wanted to block Yingluck and Yuthasak from being welcomed into the ministry by a parade of the three Armed Forces' guards of honour.

Nine companies of soldiers and police led by Bangkok Police chief Pol Lt-General Kamronwit Thoopkrachang have been stationed at the ministry to maintain security.

Tul said his group disapproved of the fact that Yingluck doubled as defence minister because the move is seen as interference in the military, especially the annual military reshuffle at the end of the year.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=Hn3EwRNFlCA

They also objected to the discussion heard in the controversial clip.

He said the military top brass must show that they are not dominated or influenced by politicians. "You must choose either to be the military of the King, or that of politicians.

"People would be upset if the military top brass allowed themselves to become the tools of politicians.''

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2013-07-12

I would have thought answering the question of her deputy stepping down in a supportive way would have shown even more solidarity.

From what I've seen and heard medals are like confetti here.

A young neighbour of mine when I was in Pattaya became a uniformed official employed by City Hall, he bought a second hand uniform which was covered in ribbons but he made no attempt to remove them as he couldn't afford to risk damaging the tunic.

No I haven't gone crazy, no more than usual, but when I answered Big Bamboo it was about all the medals on display.

Apologies for that. I thought I'd cleared it in time.

You do wonder how they get so many medals and what they're for.

• Like 1

No I haven't gone crazy, no more than usual, but when I answered Big Bamboo it was about all the medals on display.

Apologies for that. I thought I'd cleared it in time.

You do wonder how they get so many medals and what they're for.

One week long service medal, two weeks long service medal, three weeks.............

• Like 2

Asked if she would ask Yuthasak to step down after the leaking of an audio clip that was suspected to feature a conversation between the deputy minister and former prime minister Thaksin Shinawatra, Yingluck said, "How can you ask this question? Don't you have any consideration for him? He [Yuthasak] is standing here."

Yuthasak is the guy who (most probably) is paid to get Thaksin back to Thailand. He is making deals with the army on Thaksin's behalf. Of course Yingluck is going to support him.

Be ready for a turn of events. Thaksin lovers should be happy because it seems that Thaksin has the army in his pocket. Thaksin has so much stolen wealth that he is able to offer very large sums.

With all the money Thaksin has stolen and is still stealing, he can buy (almost) EVERYBODY in Thailand.

• Like 1

Maybe the deal is -'army, we'll leave you alone, never mind about Ratchraprasong, we'll just use the DSI to go after Apisit and Suthep.' But I remember Army Chief Prayud saying he would never desert those who had had served with( ie Apisit and the government).Can he still say the same thing today?

The red shirts? Irrelevant now.

What's old Yuthasak so interested in - has the general got a bit excited over being so close to Yingluk?

Without his fungus there is no excitement.

I meant the general alongside Yuthasak, whose crotch Yuthasak seems to have developed a strange interest in.

• Like 1

No wonder, the 2hand cardealers are complaining about bad business at the moment, seems like all the good traders ended up as armygenerals! rolleyes.gif

Looking at the picture, would you trust any of those guys with a 10 baht loan ? whistling.gif

What a crock of shit. She and her family had no qualms whatsoever in using the common folk of Isan in open political revolution so they would have not the slighest reserve in using the military to the same ends.

Difference is the military are not as guillible as Isan farmers and the Shiniwatra's fear them. Her job as Defence minister is simply to evaluate ,divide and conquer within the ranks of the thai military on behalf of her sycophantic brother.

• Like 2

Yuthasak is the guy who (most probably) is paid to get Thaksin back to Thailand. He is making deals with the army on Thaksin's

What a crock of shit. She and her family had no qualms whatsoever in using the common folk of Isan in open political revolution so they would have not the slighest reserve in using the military to the same ends.

Difference is the military are not as guillible as Isan farmers and the Shiniwatra's fear them. Her job as Defence minister is simply to evaluate ,divide and conquer within the ranks of the thai military on behalf of her sycophantic brother.

Very subtle!! Your beautiful turn of phrase (sic) is an emotional and an insult to every thinking Thai.

behalf. Of course Yingluck is going to support him.

Be ready for a turn of events. Thaksin lovers should be happy because it seems that Thaksin has the army in his pocket. Thaksin has so much stolen wealth that he is able to offer very large sums.

With all the money Thaksin has stolen and is still stealing, he can buy (almost) EVERYBODY in Thailand.

Edited by indyuk