It's a pity the practice of Buddhism doesn't recommend song.

rockyysdt

so there is either pleasure remembering it....or suffering when it becomes annoying and I want it to stop.

The Buddha said the greatest pleasure is true peace....when the pendulum stops in the middle...no longer swinging between suffering and pleasure.

When I discuss this the people around me say: "To practice until you are left without emotion, isn't this dangerous brain washing".

I don't know how l should respond!

An interesting question is: Why is it seen as wrong to clean up the mind, when most of us agree on the benefits of hygiene related to our bodies and houses. I would guess this stems from the idea that a cluttered up mind is normal and even desirable because it is 'natural'. Also, from a fear of change, the thought that people actually can fundamentally change their behaviour for the better, because if we acknowledge this to be a possibility, we become responsible for our actions in a more direct way. Thoughts? (Silence? :))

If you listen to people who are likely to be past stream entry and higher, like the Dalai Lama or Mathieu Ricard, they do not say they have no emotions, they just say that the emotions that arise do not cause them suffering.

• Like 2

True. I sang and played in a band. One of the hardest things I ever did was give that up.

Ouch real non attachment then.

In memoriam.

Cool. Never heard that before. If you see Van tell him that the sound of one hand clapping is the same as the other one.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

True. I sang and played in a band. One of the hardest things I ever did was give that up.

Ouch real non attachment then.

In memoriam.

Again I say,

"It's a pity the practice of Buddhism doesn't recommend song".

Not only a vehicle for poetry, human thought, & expression, but one of the few pleasures of life.

I equate good music on a par with chanting.

Edited by rockyysdt
  • Like 1

And what is the self in self expression, one might ask?

At this point I think we have moved full circle with this topic, from the initial OP to the rebuttals and now the OP's opinion again, which we value and will leave it at that.