Thai University Tuition

nietzche

I recently met a young Dutch guy who told me that he was studying for his MBA at Chulangkorn University.

I took a quick look at the website and noticed that MBA tuition is a whopping $52,000 (that's USD!!)

Their international PHD program is......wait for it......a meagre $98,000 (again, that's USD).

I did my masters degree at New York University, and although this was around 6 years ago I paid around $35,000 in tuition, and this itself is high for the U.S.

I'm guessing the starting salary for an MBA in Thailand is probably somewhere around 12-15k per year.

Is this simply an excersize in reverse psychology?

Surely people don't actually pay this?

For the record, this university does not even rank in the top 50 in Asia.

wow . . . interesting to know ! OP ( nietzche ), can you help to attach the university links ?

in International post-grad, course fee per different field of studies. but what study could bring up to this number ?

Is that a one off up front payment or is that per term or per year?

My wife is taking English course at a local University and have just paid 22900 bts, I have no idea if its per term or per year that will unfurl with the fullness of time.

The tuition seems to me to be just photo-copies from someones else's book for them to work on. No assesment of the students grasp of English before the course, seems like "this is the course, fit in and get on with it!" Even the photo-copies are not checked for alignment, so to me Thai Education follows its course and even though its being taught by non Thai "teachers"( I use the word advisedly) the standards are not up to much from what I can see.

The fees you quote earlier, well, I am sure they can be afforded, money is no problem to a non Thai, but, as you say with paying all that out and then being able to get work at 12k to 30k does not seem a good return does it?

wow . . . interesting to know ! OP ( nietzche ), can you help to attach the university links ?

in International post-grad, course fee per different field of studies. but what study could bring up to this number ?

I have posted the link to their website below (I apologize in advance if links are not permitted in the forums).

http://www.sasin.edu/programs/phd/tuition-scholarships.html

I have no idea what could be driving the tuition so high. It certainly isn't as a result of professor salaries or research facilities, as this university produced almost 0 tier 1 research.

Their tuition fees are in line with those of Yale, Harvard, NYU, etc.

I can only assume that they believe that if they charge tuition fees in line with the world leading universities, then people will perceive them as being such.

They have some impressive faculty members listed in this program (from places like U Penn, Northeastern, etc.), however, if you did a bit deeper you will see that these people are listed as visiting faculty only. How often they visit is anyone's guess.

I really just can't see anyone in their right mind dropping $100k to study at a university located in a country that has a notoriously poor educational system.

To put this into perspective, the leading universities in Asia (University of Hong Kong, HKUST, etc.) charge around 75% less for the same degree program.

Cambridge University charges around 40% less.

What am I missing?

Since we are at it: As far as I understand, private and state Thai-Universities are a different ball of wax as far as tuition fees are concerned.

Thai-State universities are basically "free" if the student is "talented" and passes entry exam. Only cost: Educational material (books, pencils, etc.)

Please correct me if I am wrong !

Thanks & cheers.

I have posted the link to their website below (I apologize in advance if links are not permitted in the forums).

What am I missing?

thanks for the link, and you just highlight one magic word - SASIN !! from an outsider perspective, it means absolutely nothing; from a Thai perspective, it is the premium brand of postgrad business administration programmes in the country. the tutorial fee is not for the knowledge there, but for connecting you to the very thick layers of business network in the country. well, check the alumni list, are all the big names in the Thai business today. ( I am not saying they are good in knowledge, or not )

years ago I prepared a recommendation letter for a Thai friend of mine, she graduated from Chula, then a MSc in IIT, USA and worked <3 years. she need 3 letters just for the interview. well, Sasin up-selling her into the Executive MBA programme ( pay more :- ).

classes are co-hosted by Thai 'professors' and FLY-IN academics. students learn hard and do hard, and finish super compact study module in 48 hours, for example Marco Economy in 2 weekends ( that supposed to be a semester in undergrad ).

mind you, Sasin is a very successful BUSINESS UNIT in Chulalongkorn University.

okay, I stop here, otherwise I would invite too many noise. I don't want to be 'grilled' in Thai way :- )

You're confusing the unconnected with MBA's and the wealthy and connected with MBA's starting salaries.

If you didn't get in the circle with a Thai society school then this is simply your last chance or 30 -150k baht/ month max for the rest of your life.

Thai-State universities are basically "free" if the student is "talented" and passes entry exam. Only cost: Educational material (books, pencils, etc.)

The only time you might consider it 'free' is when a student has a scholarship.

Examples at KKU

Business 8k a term. Chemistry 10k a term. That is tuition only.

Not expensive, but not free, either.

The cost of an International Program at KKU is much higher.

Tuition fees-wise, Sasin MBA is indeed grossly over-expensive.

The National University of Singapore MBA is cheaper, and it's been consistently ranked amongst the top 10 b-schools in Asia Pacific.

It strikes me that and visiting academic could mistakenly appear on the list of tutors and who would spot it? I begin to think its a licence to print money in much the same as speed cameras and parking CCTV cameras are used in the UK although, like the UK no one ever admits it.

Like other Universities courses can be paid for by credit, like it is in the UK, student loans, I have no idea of the term of the loan or the interest rate charged but it has to be paid back one day, in one way or another.

Edited by nong38

Examples at KKU

Thanks Terry. That is very useful information as I may have to face this in a few years. If you have any other details of related costs ie...accomodation...books etc could you please pm them to me.

Chula International Program B.A. degrees are a lot cheaper than expected.

From around 60k per semester.

http://www.inter.chula.ac.th/inter/internationalstudents/frame.htm

Consider that RAM IP, the lowest of the low are around 30k per semester for their cheapest one.

Just clicked on an M.A. and it's 115k p/s.

http://www.arts.chula.ac.th/international/thai/02_08_fees.htm

The B.A. at 60k p/s ($4,000 p/a) is very affordable for the most prestigious uni in Thailand.

Edited by Salapoo

I have no idea what could be driving the tuition so high. It certainly isn't as a result of professor salaries or research facilities, as this university produced almost 0 tier 1 research.

I can only assume that they believe that if they charge tuition fees in line with the world leading universities, then people will perceive them as being such.

They have some impressive faculty members listed in this program (from places like U Penn, Northeastern, etc.), however, if you did a bit deeper you will see that these people are listed as visiting faculty only. How often they visit is anyone's guess.

I really just can't see anyone in their right mind dropping $100k to study at a university located in a country that has a notoriously poor educational system.

To put this into perspective, the leading universities in Asia (University of Hong Kong, HKUST, etc.) charge around 75% less for the same degree program.

What am I missing?

you're missing what's needed to enrol in these courses. The price is not based on international prestige compared with other universities, it's based on laws of supply and demand.

If they priced it too high, then they wouldn't have any students.

Edited by Time Traveller

What am I missing?

you're missing what's needed to enrol in these courses. The price is not based on international prestige compared with other universities, it's based on laws of supply and demand.

If they priced it too high, then they wouldn't have any students.

The definition of a student is someone who studies. Are you sure they have any?

Examples at KKU

Thanks Terry. That is very useful information as I may have to face this in a few years. If you have any other details of related costs ie...accomodation...books etc could you please pm them to me.

My wife spent about 4000bts on requirements for the course, books, uniform etc. She is learning English so we have been and bought extra books as well on top of that, tutors are teaching Grammar with photo copies of lessons from some other teacher's tutorial ( often with the edges missing ) but the basic grammar tution is of a scatter gun format. Bear this in mind with your course, if you want it to be a success ( whatever success means locally) you might need to supply extras that only become obvious when then things are underway.

we miss a point - this is a very exclusive 'branded' MBA study in Thailand, not a school just for anyone out there. yes, extreme numbers in the fee, but almost no one would pay their own fee out of their own pocket. every year new applications are about 5 to 8 times over quota.

please search Sasin Alumni then you know who were there - all presidents, CEOs of big property developers, telecom providers, retails and marketing groups . . . the power of network !

this is the 'top gun CLUB', but not the 'top gun school' and they don't need to go through the 5G test.

we miss a point - this is a very exclusive 'branded' MBA study in Thailand, not a school just for anyone out there. yes, extreme numbers in the fee, but almost no one would pay their own fee out of their own pocket. every year new applications are about 5 to 8 times over quota.

please search Sasin Alumni then you know who were there - all presidents, CEOs of big property developers, telecom providers, retails and marketing groups . . . the power of network !

this is the 'top gun CLUB', but not the 'top gun school' and they don't need to go through the 5G test.

Yes, the power of the network. This is why many pay up to $180,000 to do an MBA at Harvard or Yale.

The website lists the student population as being 15% non-Thai. For a non-Thai what is the benefit here as non-Thai's would never be given a job that a Thai could do.

If they decided to go back to their home country their degree would be worthless.

I have a friend who studied at HKUST (top 30 university in the world). Even they had a distinct disadvantage to US graduates in terms of landing top jobs.

Chula is not ranked by most university ranking ogranizations

Yes, the power of the network. This is why many pay up to $180,000 to do an MBA at Harvard or Yale.

The website lists the student population as being 15% non-Thai. For a non-Thai what is the benefit here as non-Thai's would never be given a job that a Thai could do.

If they decided to go back to their home country their degree would be worthless.

I have a friend who studied at HKUST (top 30 university in the world). Even they had a distinct disadvantage to US graduates in terms of landing top jobs.

This then is all about getting into the system in this country, they (students) are unlikely to look for a profession outside of Thailand, it will be to cushy at home and would soon be found wanting out of the country.

Looks like a down payment to the club, getting into the swim of things, the things that make the country go round, into the top networks.

Education might be the name but its not the game its just a convenient hoop to jump through.

Looks like a down payment to the club, getting into the swim of things, the things that make the country go round, into the top networks.

Education might be the name but its not the game its just a convenient hoop to jump through.

it is the power of network ( not the power of knowledge 'for everyone' ). some participants there already own postgrad degrees from well-established overseas studies.

the alumni list already suggested who do what WHERE; don't think a property developer CEO would move the business to NYC, don't think a telecom president will start over in Amsterdam. this is their cosy home, that's why they enjoy being the members in the club at home.

Maybe they think they can get in the inner circle.

Maybe they are like many farangs here that think they will be noticed important because they are farang and speak English.

Maybe they are looking for a rich Thai wife/husband.

Maybe they couldn't get in somewhere else similar in their own country.

Maybe they like Thailand and want to work here.

There will be good jobs out there in Thailand for farangs once they have the right connections.

Maybe they plan to start a business here and want to make connections with people than can help advance that.

Maybe they already have a girlfriend or wife here rich or otherwise and want to improve their employment prospects here.

Who knows.

There is dual pricing in Thai universities..Thai and foreign. Believe me, I know. I've been shelling out for this for 5 years and counting (my niece). Even in the "internastional "colleges/programs, Thais pay a different rate.

And yes, the rates for foreigners are high. Though I haven't encountered as high as what you quote for Chula. Are you sure this is tuition only and not inclusive of estimated living costs?

There is dual pricing in Thai universities..Thai and foreign. Believe me, I know. I've been shelling out for this for 5 years and counting (my niece). Even in the "internastional "colleges/programs, Thais pay a different rate.

And yes, the rates for foreigners are high. Though I haven't encountered as high as what you quote for Chula. Are you sure this is tuition only and not inclusive of estimated living costs?

Yes, this is for tuition and fees only (including books). It does not include housing and other expenses.

The website states that students should budget for an additional 60,000 baht per month in living expenses (which is funny, because I have friends who are teachers and they are told that 30k per month is a good salary and enough to live on in BKK :))

Actually, it is. Ill wait while you check...