Danish kids in Ubon selling corn and asking for money

Michael Hare

So Swissie, how did your call to the Danish Embassy go?

Best be handled by someone living in the area. I live in the opposite corner of Thailand.

By reading the last few posts, action has been taken. Good news.

Cheers.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

OP: Similar to those who have expressed concern regarding the two children, so do I. I have just called the Danish Embassy & was put through to the Consul. With her permission I can advise that:

Consular staff have been aware of the circumstances for quite a while & have been in regular contact with the school and the family, as have Danish social welfare; to quote "it's a difficult case". A decision was made that for the moment it is in the children's best interest to remain in Thailand.

I suggest anyone who has pertinent information, beyond what has been posted, as they are aware of this topic on Thai Visa, make direct contact with the Consul.

EDIT: The Consul passed on her thanks for all those who have expressed concern or passed on information and added the family all have current visas for staying in Thailand.

Guess it’s mostly in their father’s best interest not to have posts on forums like this one.

How can the Danish embassy be in regular contact with their school(s), if they don’t attend school?

Could the Danish embassy provide them with visas? I pretty much doubt it. Even selling peanuts is considered work here. Guess they do have a work permit for their activities.

And of course a driver’s license, accident insurance etc., all “provided” by the Danish welfare.

The only thing I believe in your post is that “it’s a difficult case.” -wai2.gif

OP: Similar to those who have expressed concern regarding the two children, so do I. I have just called the Danish Embassy & was put through to the Consul. With her permission I can advise that:

Consular staff have been aware of the circumstances for quite a while & have been in regular contact with the school and the family, as have Danish social welfare; to quote "it's a difficult case". A decision was made that for the moment it is in the children's best interest to remain in Thailand.

I suggest anyone who has pertinent information, beyond what has been posted, as they are aware of this topic on Thai Visa, make direct contact with the Consul.

EDIT: The Consul passed on her thanks for all those who have expressed concern or passed on information and added the family all have current visas for staying in Thailand.

Guess it’s mostly in their father’s best interest not to have posts on forums like this one.

How can the Danish embassy be in regular contact with their school(s), if they don’t attend school?

Could the Danish embassy provide them with visas? I pretty much doubt it. Even selling peanuts is considered work here. Guess they do have a work permit for their activities.

And of course a driver’s license, accident insurance etc., all “provided” by the Danish welfare.

The only thing I believe in your post is that “it’s a difficult case.” -wai2.gif

Why are you arguing with me? Don't know how the Danish Embassy could provide their nationals with a visa to reside in Thailand, Thai driving licence etc

As I said if you have anything germane to contribute regarding the children's welfare, the Consul has requested contact her directly. Over to you to take constructive action rather than nit picking on TV

Edited by simple1
  • Like 1

If they are Danish citizens , born in Denmark, the Danish goverment has a responsibility to protect them and bring them home if necessary.

Especially if their parents can not help them .

If they are Danish citizens , born in Denmark, the Danish goverment has a responsibility to protect them and bring them home if necessary.

They are Danish citizens who'd lost their mom a few years ago. The truth is that the kids have to "support" their father.

How should anybody believe Simple1's post that the Danish welfare/ embassy are aware and all of them, ( father and the two kids) have proper visas?

The Danish embassy can't provide them with visas!

Wouldn't they have some financial support as Danish citizens if the Danish "welfare" is aware and helping them?

I've given them money before, saw them with serious injuries, the girl had an infection through a wound from a motorbike accident and so on...\

Now it's all about to get them back to Europe for a better life.

Shame on the guy who's their father.

Looks like they don't know how to help themselves. What would their future look like? Hooked up on drugs? Selling their bodies?

• Like 1

Drop the personal attacks, He isn't saying the Danish Embassy provides their visas he is saying the Embassy says that they have them.

Rather than make this personal and call into question another member's information without any real information yourself I would suggest you contact the Danish embassy and determine it for yourself.

Drop the personal attacks, He isn't saying the Danish Embassy provides their visas he is saying the Embassy says that they have them.

Rather than make this personal and call into question another member's information without any real information yourself I would suggest you contact the Danish embassy and determine it for yourself.

I suggest some of the posters on here get out and you will see these kid's are ok. I was in Ubon during November and December last year saw the girl in town selling some stuff and the boy I saw around near the lake riding a motorbike with some Thai kid's. Also around the lake area there is a European boxing camp that has a lot of ladies and guys training so he can mix with his own kind. Also if you have kid's what are they doing now?

• Like 1

I learned something from your post.

The Danish embassy obviously is required to offer more assistance to its citizens than that of the USA.

As a US citizen i realize I'm mostly on my own in a foreign country and can only expect the embassy will attempt to insure I receive at least the same level of justice as local citizens. I fully accept that and understand the embassy has neither the mission nor funds to tend individually to each expat citizen.

I look at something such as the "Outreach Program" as an icing on the cake.

• Like 1

As above. These kids are ok and get help from Thai people.

Still , they are Danish citizens and with the family history this is not a good situation for them .

I am sure if someone tip one of the Danish newspapers about this something will happen .

Both the kids and their father will get financial support from Denmark if they are in trouble.

Still , they are Danish citizens and with the family history this is not a good situation for them .

I am sure if someone tip one of the Danish newspapers about this something will happen .

Both the kids and their father will get financial support from Denmark if they are in trouble.

I'm not trying to get into a sh.t fest with you balo but I gather you read what the Danish embassy has already said about this situation.

Are you now thinking that lighting a fire under the embassy by contacting the Danish newspapers will help get assistance to these children?

I think that may be an excellent idea. I so fully support the freedom of the press in the USA and everywhere on the planet that I sometimes get concerned about how it may evolve with the internet making the print media obsolete.

If they were born to Danish parents while living in Thailand--That could be a big problem. If born here does that give them Thai citizenship?

No, it doesn't.

A child born in Thailand to two non-Thai parents does not get any Thai citizenship or nationality. They are aliens and not Thai in every legal sense.

Are you for real. Why can't people sometimes mind there own business. Let me know your name and address and I will ask your embassy to check to make sure you have paid your taxes and are receiving your proper benefit's.

That of course explains a lot (not everything). But never mind.

Why is it that small time criminals still see Thailand as the ultimate place to hide? Haven't they heard about Cambodia?

As long as they prefer Thailand as their hiding place, the rest of us (non fugitives) will have to face increasingly demanding Long-Term Visa Requirements. (Wait and see!)

Cheers.

• Like 1

Harsh reality the kids have to face...

I bet their future is a lot better than 95%+ of the average Ubon young adolescent. wink.png

And that would be without any help from any Danish nationals or embassy.

Edited by Salapoo

excuse me i happen to know these people very well and as the matter of fact, these 2 kids do go to school and also tomorrow you may see them on TV or a the candle festival with his school on the parade.

and also to those who know nothing of them please don't talk about others that you don't know

P.S mind your own business thank you.

Best first post ever.

• Like 1

excuse me i happen to know these people very well and as the matter of fact, these 2 kids do go to school and also tomorrow you may see them on TV or a the candle festival with his school on the parade.

and also to those who know nothing of them please don't talk about others that you don't know

I haven't posted on this subject because in truth I half agree with you....however, having said that I feel compelled to answer your post.

Firstly if they are attending school then I am sure we will all agree that is a good thing, but

I notice that you only mention the schooling and yet don't cover any of the many negative aspects.

When these children break all these laws like speeding around doing wheelies on a motorbike that they are not old enough to ride with no insurance or not wearing crash helmets etc, working selling farm produce without work permits and also begging for money, then don't you think that they are drawing attention to themselves and also making it everyone's business by risking damaging public property to say nothing of the publics lives with their speeding motorcycle.

May I suggest my friend that if you know the family so well (your words) then you talk to them about their behaviour and if they don't want themselves being talked about then they should keep their business within their own four walls. Thank you.

HL

• Like 2

Just one extra thought to add to my post above.....if everybody always "minded their own business" when children are not acting normally then many cases of child abuse would not be brought into the open and their suffering would continue.

HL

• Like 1

I haven't posted on this subject because in truth I half agree with you....however, having said that I feel compelled to answer your post.

Firstly if they are attending school then I am sure we will all agree that is a good thing, but

I notice that you only mention the schooling and yet don't cover any of the many negative aspects.

When these children break all these laws like speeding around doing wheelies on a motorbike that they are not old enough to ride with no insurance or not wearing crash helmets etc, working selling farm produce without work permits and also begging for money, then don't you think that they are drawing attention to themselves and also making it everyone's business by risking damaging public property to say nothing of the publics lives with their speeding motorcycle.

May I suggest my friend that if you know the family so well (your words) then you talk to them about their behaviour and if they don't want themselves being talked about then they should keep their business within their own four walls. Thank you.

HL

And you might mention it's not polite to flip people off. ESpecially those who have been kind or generous.

Just one extra thought to add to my post above.....if everybody always "minded their own business" when children are not acting normally then many cases of child abuse would not be brought into the open and their suffering would continue.

HL

+1