Danish kids in Ubon selling corn and asking for money

Michael Hare

Yesterday morning I went into the old central part of Ubon, to buy cloth to take to my tailor to make a pair of trousers. The Indian cloth shop owner, whom I have known for over 20 years (we talk about cricket), was telling me about these two young Danish children (brother and sister). He said they drive a motorbike into the city and sell corn.

However, they also go around shops asking for money. The first time they asked him he was taken by surprise and gave them 200 baht. They said that their parents didnt give them enough money for school, hence they had to ask for handouts. A few days later they came back and he gave them 100 baht. The next time they came, the sister came into the shop while the brother sat on his motorbike. The Indian shop owner told them he didnt believe they went to school because that day was a school day and they were in his shop. He gave them nothing. The sister walked back to brother on the motorbike, spoke to him and the brother gave the Indian shop owner the big finger.

The Indian shop owner was surprised I had never seen these children. He said that they are in town all the time. Blond Caucasian kids on a motorbike selling corn are very conspicuous. I confessed I had never heard of them, let alone seen them.

Who are these children? Where do they come from? Have they got parents? I guess they must but why are they riding around on a motorbike and selling corn? How do they get visas to live in Thailand? I guess their parents must get visas and they are with their parents. Perhaps they are being home-schooled? And asking for money from shop owners!

I was mystified by all of this.

Does anyone out there know these children? Perhaps the local Danish expats know who they are?

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

When I go to the flea market near Pathume Pit high school, I've seen both the boy and girl there.

The girl came knocking at my house to sell corn and she can speak English. I've seen the boy and girl and they also speak Thai.

I've have seen the father ( he was selling watermelons at the market). A couple of months ago, it was reported in newspapers and Thaivisa that he was deported back to his home country on criminal charges.

Now the hearsay part which I don't know if it is true.

The children had a Danish mother, but she passed away. The father remarried to a Thai woman and moved the family to Ubon. He is back in Denmark and step mother is raising the kids.

The two kids have been into my shop on occasion selling corn and and fruit. They speak fluent Thai and Issan as they have spent along time here. Their Father is around as I saw him not so long ago. They live out way behind Hua Wang Nong and are usually quite dirty and poorly mannered. The time I took these pics he was on his phone, bike loaded up with laundry and the girl had to tap him on the shoulder as he was about to ride into the back of a parked pickup. Their riding skills are the same as most other kids around here....none!

I pretty sure they don't go to school as I have seen them many times throughout the day. I was at a mates wedding about 2 months ago and they even had the balls to come into the wedding hawking their wares. I wonder what their visa status is!!

Edited by sbk
photos removed, invasive of personal privacy

Thank you all for the information. Appears that they are living poorly and have to sell their farm produce to make ends meet. Another shop owner in Ubon told me today that these childrn also sell homemade cookies. I would worry about their future as they grow older. I certainly hope they don't get into drug dealing which is ever so easy to do in the border provinces of northeast Thailand. I doubt very much they are getting much guidance in their lives. Makes one wonder what sort of Father the father is.

Hi Michael,

I'm surprised you have not come across these kids before now. There has been a few threads on Thai Visa as well as other forums before this one. Photos and some very informative comments can be found here if you are interested.

Regards

MM

Edited by sbk
llink removed-these are children people. give them some privacy

Hi Michael,

I'm surprised you have not come across these kids before now. There has been a few threads on Thai Visa as well as other forums before this one. Photos and some very informative comments can be found here if you are interested.

Regards

MM

Thank you MM. No, I have never seen or heard of these children before and nor have the locals around where I live. I guess they must frequent the areas on the other side of Ubon and venture into town to the market areas. I pray that they will turn out ok. It is amazing that they can live here for so long and not get checked on for visas. That is probably why they don't go to schooll. No ID, no visa and probably no birth certificates. It seems that they must sell produce every day just to survive. If they were back in Denmark they would get welfare payments if the father was unemployed but as one post said, he must have a past over there and doesn't want to go back.

So is anybody in Ubon going to contact the police and/or the Embassy?????

Yes why not. Only remedy to clarify this situation as I mentioned above.

Today they are selling corn and bananas. What will they be selling tomorrow? (Drugs?).

- Fair haired children, with no Thai-Family guidance and "protection" and no schooling, are condemned to live a live comparable to a street dog. (Outcasts forever).

I am confident, that some Farangs, familiar with the situation, will take action soon.

Cheers.

There were some stories about them many moons ago.

Their father is/was an alcoholic ( not my statement, coming from Thais) and out of visa as they are for a long long time.

Their biological mother passed away a long time and it seems that nobody really cares.

It's just a matter of time until they'll sell their bodies, some locals seem to enjoy that some white "kids" are selling peanuts and other stuff at restaurants.

They say they go to school, but they don't. The tourist police don't seem to be interested, as almost all people from Ubon know them.

They have had many accidents and several injuries. Just wondering why nobody cares. If somebody dislikes seeing them around inform the immigration, or call 1155. Your first friend. The tourist police, which is aware.-wai2.gif

Edited by sirchai

These kids need help. I'm sure Danish social services would be interested. There is no support structure for them here in Thailand. They need help. Their parents need help.

I am aware of the fact, that unless it concerns family members, Thai's tend to follow a policy of "non-involvement". Fine, this is the unwritten law of the land and Farangs embedded in this environment are also part of it.

But still:

- These kids will go down the drain under these circumstances, it's only a matter of time. Remedies like involving the local police and the tourist police (good heavens) is probably an exercise in futility.

A report to the Danish-Embassy might get the ball rolling (=no guarantee!)

A long time ago, a guy named John F. Kennedy wrote a book named "Civil-Courage". But in those "modern-times", who reads stuff like this?

Cheers.

If there's anybody out there who's really concerned, please feel free to contact the Immigration in Phiboonmangsahan.

They'll have to do something, I'd guess. Here's the contact number.

. I've already tried to solve this problem a while ago and nothing happened.

If there's anybody out there trying to save their lives, before a 16 wheeler get's them riding on their always speeding scooter, please contact those who've got to do something.

Forget the brown boys and "Your First Friend."

Wouldn't be good to read something about them after having an accident on this forum.

Honestly, I do not give a flying skull about the deportation of their father. Can't be a good one roughly speaking.

I'd never say that the tourist cops, or better said one of them had already tried to get some beer, aeeh tea money. Never ever.-wai2.gif .

Phiboonmangsahan Imm 0-4544-1108, 0-4544-1988 Fax 0-1648-8952

Edited by sirchai

So this was probably the young skinny blond punk on a souped up old scooter that was revving up at the lights and then took off with a loud wheelie in front of everyone, pure dek wan style, while I was passing through.

A blond Danish badboy fluent in Thai and Isaan, I'm sure he'll do okay.

Will probably have a host of Thai female sponsors as he grows older. Some probably spending their salary from their old man farang husband on him. :D

If he's as street as people say then he'll probably take them all to the bank and be very well off indeed.

• Like 2

A blond Danish badboy fluent in Thai and Isaan, I'm sure he'll do okay.

Will probably have a host of Thai female sponsors as he grows older. Some probably spending their salary from their old man farang husband on him. biggrin.png

If he's as street as people say then he'll probably take them all to the bank and be very well off indeed.

If he doesn't get clobbered by that 18-wheeler first. And if he survives the traffic, his attitude will ensure that he ends up with a bullet in the head sooner or later. And what about the girl?