Fatal crash in Koh Phangan

This morning, around 1 AM, just in front of the new Big C close to Thong Sala, a small van collided with a 'samlor', a 3 wheels bike.

The driver of the bike, a foreigner, still unknown to me, died on the spot.

The driver of the van was taken to the hospital.

Not yet clear how the crash happened.

May the victim rest in peace.

post-58494-0-94753800-1373799115_thumb.j

post-58494-0-23473100-1373799147_thumb.j

• Like 1

The update is that the foreigner did not die, but the Thai driving the motorcycle side cart did. First post knew the driver of the bike died but was mistaken as to the identity. hope that clears things up

Sorry for the contraddictions in the news. Not so easy to find a reliable source here in KPG.

Now the latest news are that the second person on the samlor died too. Both the victims were English. The secon died in Koh Samui.

The van driver is an English too.

Sorry for the innacuracies.

Sent from my GT-I9500

• Like 1

Off topic post deleted. No need to nitpick.

It's not about nitpicking but a day after this accident and still no accurate information. Please read the post from the Op and then his last. I thought when information was posted there has to be a reliable link.

• Like 1

My gf heard about this accident a couple of days ago from a friend. Apparently the van reversed into the samoir killing 2 foreigners. She was told that the van driver did a runner.

Don't believe what a Gf would tell you, look at the picture from the op if she don't know the front of a vehicle to the rear god help you.

• Like 1

Koh Phangan is a small island, there is not any Gazette, Days, Wan like other more touristic localities.

The questionable custom of the volunteers to take pictures and videos of the accidents is not yet arrived here.

Barely there is a volunteer emergency service.

Only one radio station (Thai Language), Police and Local Government are usually not so happy to disclose information about accidents, fatalities, etc.

Facebook too in KPG is not so efficient to spread the local news.

So, sometimes, the news are not accurate as should be but, better late than never.

I'm sorry if I hurt somebody's sensibility. Posted ImagePosted Image

There is no gazette in Samui any more either just FYI

It's funny isn't it, there was I telling my gf a couple of weeks ago not to listen to all the crap she heard from her friends and there I go repeating it. Anyway, that's the last time I repeat it too! What I do know is that the road between Thong Sala and Bantai is extremely dangerous and at times resembles a racetrack, it's a shame that the local police's idea of traffic control is collecting 200 baht from motorcyclists not wearing crash helmets between 11am and 1pm.

It's funny isn't it, there was I telling my gf a couple of weeks ago not to listen to all the crap she heard from her friends and there I go repeating it. Anyway, that's the last time I repeat it too! What I do know is that the road between Thong Sala and Bantai is extremely dangerous and at times resembles a racetrack, it's a shame that the local police's idea of traffic control is collecting 200 baht from motorcyclists not wearing crash helmets between 11am and 1pm.

it is political thats all i can say on that!

Saw this today at 1pm, between Had Salat & Mae Haad on KPG. Right above your old place, Jimmy!

Wang Sai cook said this happened this morning and his cousin was involved and no one was injured. His explanation didn't make much sense, but they were possibly pulling a heavy trailer. I saw no traces of blood and the car's in good shape apart from the roof. I can't imagine how they pulled that off, unless they tried to climb up the side of the road, which would make zero sense.

Car.jpg

Edited by AngThong

Saw this today at 1pm, between Had Salat & Mae Haad on KPG. Right above your old place, Jimmy!

Wang Sai cook said this happened this morning and his cousin was involved and no one was injured. His explanation didn't make much sense, but they were possibly pulling a heavy trailer. I saw no traces of blood and the car's in good shape apart from the roof. I can't imagine how they pulled that off, unless they tried to climb up the side of the road, which would make zero sense.

Car.jpg

Heavy trailer can easily push car upside down when going downhill. Definitely the unbraked crappy ones they tend to use in Thailand.

Example; http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=3d3_1341677560

Yep right round the corner from the old house! Hard to imagine how that would happen, cannot see any skid marks either!

Several months ago, I saw a truck up side down like that, south of Si Thanu, on the straight stretch near the bent coconut tree! .....The mind boggles how they manage to do it... No doubt too much alcohol involved.... blink.png sad.png

BTW if there was a trailer, it had been removed by the time I drove by. The car "only" blocks half the road so I guess they are in no hurry to remove it... At least the visibility is good there so it's unlikely this will cause further accidents. Something for tourists to oggle at & film now it's cloudy & grey almost every day...

Several months ago, I saw a truck up side down like that, south of Si Thanu, on the straight stretch near the bent coconut tree! .....The mind boggles how they manage to do it... No doubt too much alcohol involved.... xblink.png.pagespeed.ic.AQgCnSOpp_.png sad.png

That stretch of the road gets some really weird winds though. Almost knocked me over once or twice, when there wasn't much of a wind before or after it. I'm not sure why, it's obviously exposed to the sea but you wouldn't think the difference would be that huge, however this time of the year, you get some really strong and weird wind gusts there, like they come out of nowhere and hit you really hard. Wouldn't knock over a truck, but if they were doing something stupid when the wind hits... maybe.

Edited by AngThong