Who's confused? Me, or immigration?

KarenBravo

Stop making a fool of yourself phuketjock.

Here is some more proof from a Thai immigration website listing the 43 nationalities that can enter Thailand WITHOUT a visa.

The first Thai word is essential (see translation here under).

That they decided not to create a separate stamp to indicate how long you may stay WITHOUT a visa but instead just use the same one for all visa types AND for the visa exempt visitors is a fact but not important.

attachicon.gifVisa exempt.PNG

attachicon.gifTranslate.PNG

As far as making a fool of myself, as they say in Thailand " up to me "

The info that " they " decided to use the same stamp for all came from where or did you just invent it???

If this is true how does anyone know if they have a visa exempt stamp or a valid visa stamp??

Here is a copy of one of my passpost pages now are these stamps visas or visa exempt stamps?

attachicon.gif2556-07-16 13-20-04_0002.jpg

I obtained them free of charge on entering Thailand.

What does the "NON RE" entry in the "VISACLASS" mean ? All mine have something indecipherable scribbled in there.....

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here is some more proof from a Thai immigration website listing the 43 nationalities that can enter Thailand WITHOUT a visa.

That they decided not to create a separate stamp to indicate how long you may stay WITHOUT a visa but instead just use the same one for all visa types AND for the visa exempt visitors is a fact but not important.

The info that " they " decided to use the same stamp for all came from where or did you just invent it???

If this is true how does anyone know if they have a visa exempt stamp or a valid visa stamp??

Here is a copy of one of my passpost pages now are these stamps visas or visa exempt stamps?

What does the "NON RE" entry in the "VISACLASS" mean ? All mine have something indecipherable scribbled in there.....

I presume non immigrant re-entry, in other words: he has a non-immigrant visa and a re-entry permit.

• Like 1

That they (= Thai Immigration) use the same stamp is based on personal experience as I visited Thailand numerous times both with and WITHOUT visa.

A person might remember whether he applied for a visa at a Thai consulate or embassy prior to his visit, or that he did not as he qualifies for a stay WITHOUT a visa. From the stamp alone you cannot tell.

The stamps in your passport are visa stamps nor visa exempt stamps. They only indicate how long you can stay in Thailand.

A visa is a sticker.

Looking at your stamps you seem to be (or were) on a non-immigrant B visa and also obtained a re-entry permit stamp so you were able to leave Thailand without your visa becoming void.

So you just made it up by assumption then.

I am in Thailand, and have been for some years, on a retirement extension based on a non-immigrant 90 day temporary

visa which is in fact a stamp and not a sticker.

If the stamps are neither visa or visa exempt stamps why is there a line stating "visa class" ? which immigration have entered

non-re, which if I had to guess could possibly mean non-resident maybe???

Edited by phuketjock

I would plump for non-resident jpinx but it's just a guess, most of mine are scribbles also these 2 just happen to be legible.

Edited by phuketjock

"Went to immigration this morning to check what I need for a retirement visa.

I also asked if I could get the retirement visa when entering with a visa exempt stamp.

They said I could upgrade from a 30 day visa on entry.

I told them that a visa on entry was not the same as visa exempt. They said that the 30 day stamp on arrival is called a visa on arrival.

Tried to explain that a visa on arrival was fro countries not covered by visa exempt and that there was a special desk at the airport for this.

They said that a visa on arrival is the 30 day entry and all the English info paperwork that they give refers to it as that.

Am I wrong, or, are the Immigration helpers that uninformed?"

Well number 1 and i would say the most important is - never try to them you know their law. It doesn't work and in some cases they will not try to help to much.

Looking back at the topic title - 'Who's confused?' and for sure many of the above posts are making me confused. And I have been dealing with Phuket Immigration for 16 years. Mind you Immigration also make me confused as they 'interpret' the rules on the mood of the day. Had to laugh today, into phuket for 90 day reporting, printed the completed form on my printer. Officer look at my passport and informed me I did not need to report as I entered 20 May, I politely pointed out that was in 2011, and guided him to my old 90 day slip clearly marked next report 16 July 2013. He went very quite and processed the paperwork without any further comment.

I would plump for non-resident jpinx but it's just a guess, most of mine are scribbles also these 2 just happen to be legible.

ok - but someone arriving with an "eligible passport" and no pre-arranged visa will get a stamp at the airport which has a "VISACLASS" entry - mine are all illegible. The point being that the stamp *is* a visa. cool.png

Edited by jpinx

ok - but someone arriving with an "eligible passport" and no pre-arranged visa will get a stamp at the airport which has a "VISACLASS" entry - mine are all illegible. The point being that the stamp *is* a visa.

That, jpinx, has been my contention all along and I still say that any stamp in my passport, put there

by an immigration officer from any country, which states "visa class' on it is a VISA.

Edited by phuketjock

Try sorting out the types of visa's or permissions you need to stay in somewhere like Peru and I can tell you from personal experience that the entry in your passport is what the immigration officer looking at it tells you it is. wink.png

Try translating the fine difference between "you are exempt from the need for a visa" and "you need a visa exemption" into Thai. I was working in Spanish over there and my Spanish is/was pretty good, but they were doing the same thing -- running round in circles trying to "define" (in their language) what was meant. Beaurocrats are the same everywhere -- a bunch of anally-retentive ego-maniacs - but it's best to just smile and agree ;)

Edited by jpinx
  • Like 1

I am in Thailand, and have been for some years, on a retirement extension based on a non-immigrant 90 day temporary

If the stamps are neither visa or visa exempt stamps why is there a line stating "visa class" ? which immigration have entered

It is not an assumption. It is a fact that Thai Immigration uses the same stamp that shows how long you are permitted to stay whether you have a visa or not.

Visas are stickers. Extensions are stamps. I stand corrected if there are Thai consulates or embassies that issue visas in stamp form. Never had one or seen any.

The line stating visa class is to write the visa class. Like in your case non-immigrant. Or if no visa required they stamp or write 30 if I remember correctly. Maybe it would become all clear for you if instead they wrote visa class NO VISA or NONE or something like that.

In an old post on TV well respected member and visa expert lopburi3 replies to the question what non-re might mean as follows:

"I would guess non immigrant visa class with re entry permit?".

I go with him.

ok - but someone arriving with an "eligible passport" and no pre-arranged visa will get a stamp at the airport which has a "VISACLASS" entry - mine are all illegible. The point being that the stamp *is* a visa.

That, jpinx, has been my contention all along and I still say that any stamp in my passport, put there

by an immigration officer from any country, which states "visa class' on it is a VISA.

You are, or were, obviously here on an extension of stay with re-entry permit. So your stamps point to that.

But your stamps are not visa, and a visa exempt entry stamp is not a visa.

You are, or were, obviously here on an extension of stay with re-entry permit. So your stamps point to that.

But your stamps are not visa, and a visa exempt entry stamp is not a visa.

MAYBE all Thai visas are stickers, but not all countries use stickers for VIsas -- as anyone who has been around the world a bit will affirm.

The question of the status of the extension has come up in another thread about the need for airlines to check your visa status. I think that took a check-in supervisor to sort it out, but the extension is not a visa, the visa is the stamp you get at the airport on arrival.

The stamp you get at the airport is the entry permission, not the visa. The visa is given out either at the airport by immigration for the countries eligable for visa on arrival (so not for the western countries) or by Thai embassy/consulate. At the airport the passport is stamped to give permission to enter based on visa or based on visa exempt status.

• Like 1

It is not an assumption. It is a fact that Thai Immigration uses the same stamp that shows how long you are permitted to stay whether you have a visa or not.

Visas are stickers. Extensions are stamps. I stand corrected if there are Thai consulates or embassies that issue visas in stamp form. Never had one or seen any.

The line stating visa class is to write the visa class. Like in your case non-immigrant. Or if no visa required they stamp or write 30 if I remember correctly. Maybe it would become all clear for you if instead they wrote visa class NO VISA or NONE or something like that.

In an old post on TV well respected member and visa expert lopburi3 replies to the question what non-re might mean as follows:

I go with him.

Please note this is a visa STAMP not an extension stamp. It is NOT a STICKER.

post-145612-0-49925700-1373967942_thumb.

Issued at a Thai immigration office IN Thailand!

Edited by phuketjock

The stamp you are referring to is neither a visa nor a "visa exempt" stamp but simply a permission to stay. Everyone arriving in Thailand get the same permission to stay stamp in their passport, which is why the stamp has room for the immigration officer to write what your permission to stay is based on.

If arriving from one of the countries allowed visa exempt entry you permission to stay will be based on the immigration act allowing visa exempt entry. Visa exempt entry is exactly what it says on the tin, you get a permission to stay in Thailand without having a visa. Of course, people from the visa exempt countries can apply for a visa before flying to Thailand, in that case they will receive a separate visa stamp/sticker in their passport and that visa will "override" their visa exempt option, and their permission to stay will be granted on the visa instead giving them a longer stay and a different immigration status. Asking people to post examples of "visa exempt stamps" is pointless as no such stamp exists, people arriving visa-exempt only receive the permission to stay stamp.

Visa on arrival is only granted to citizens from a short list of countries. People from these countries do not have to have a visa applied for in their home country, but can apply for a visa when they arrive in Thailand. The visa will be stamped in their passport, and their permission to stay will be based on that visa. So they will get two stamps in their passport, a visa and a permission to stay.

You on the other hand are here in Thailand on an extension of your original permission to stay, which was granted a long time ago on the basis of a Non immigrant visa. To protect that permission to stay you have bought a re-entry permit, which allows you to leave and re-enter Thailand without losing your current permission to stay and immigration status. When you arrive in Thailand you get the same permission to stay stamp as everyone else, but based on your re-entry permit that protects your current permission to stay. That is why the immigration officer writes "Non RE", meaning that you are here in Thailand on a NON Immigrant visa extension protected by a Re-Entry permit. What you have/receive has nothing to do with visa exemption or visa on arrival (visa on entry is not a correct term to use with regards to Thai immigration matters).

Sophon

Cool explanation :)

Out of curiosity, is the "Visa-on-Arrival" that some passport holders buy at the airport a stamp or a sticker ?

I go with him.

Please note this is a visa STAMP not an extension stamp. It is NOT a STICKER.

attachicon.gif2556-07-16 16-44-19_0003.jpg

I'd have to agree - based on the stamp saying "NON-IMMIGRANT VISA" ;)

That is why I said I stand corrected if some embassies use visa stamps instead of stickers. Actually now I see this stamp I am pretty sure I have these in older no longer valid passports. I assume (yes assume) that stickers replaced the stamps some time after 2007. My last three visas are all stickers obtained respectively in Vientiane, Kuala Lumphur and Hong Kong.

The stamp you are referring to is neither a visa nor a "visa exempt" stamp but simply a permission to stay. Everyone arriving in Thailand get the same permission to stay stamp in their passport, which is why the stamp has room for the immigration officer to write what your permission to stay is based on.

If arriving from one of the countries allowed visa exempt entry you permission to stay will be based on the immigration act allowing visa exempt entry. Visa exempt entry is exactly what it says on the tin, you get a permission to stay in Thailand without having a visa. Of course, people from the visa exempt countries can apply for a visa before flying to Thailand, in that case they will receive a separate visa stamp/sticker in their passport and that visa will "override" their visa exempt option, and their permission to stay will be granted on the visa instead giving them a longer stay and a different immigration status. Asking people to post examples of "visa exempt stamps" is pointless as no such stamp exists, people arriving visa-exempt only receive the permission to stay stamp.

Visa on arrival is only granted to citizens from a short list of countries. People from these countries do not have to have a visa applied for in their home country, but can apply for a visa when they arrive in Thailand. The visa will be stamped in their passport, and their permission to stay will be based on that visa. So they will get two stamps in their passport, a visa and a permission to stay.

You on the other hand are here in Thailand on an extension of your original permission to stay, which was granted a long time ago on the basis of a Non immigrant visa. To protect that permission to stay you have bought a re-entry permit, which allows you to leave and re-enter Thailand without losing your current permission to stay and immigration status. When you arrive in Thailand you get the same permission to stay stamp as everyone else, but based on your re-entry permit that protects your current permission to stay. That is why the immigration officer writes "Non RE", meaning that you are here in Thailand on a NON Immigrant visa extension protected by a Re-Entry permit. What you have/receive has nothing to do with visa exemption or visa on arrival (visa on entry is not a correct term to use with regards to Thai immigration matters).

Sophon

Sophon I have no idea whatsoever if what you say is actually factual or not but I have to admit that it makes a lot more sense

than most of the garbage, including mine, that has been posted throughout this thread.

Well done man. clap2.gifclap2.gifclap2.gifwai.gifwai.gif oops or woman.

Edited by phuketjock

Sophon

Sophon I have no idea whatsoever if what you say is actually factual or not but I have to admit that it makes a lot more sense

than most of the garbage, including mine, that has been posted throughout this thread.

Glad to hear you think Sophon makes sense, because he is saying exactly what I have been saying all along.

Sophon

Glad to hear you think Sophon makes sense, because he is saying exactly what I have been saying all along.

Is that the part where you were telling me about " visa exempt stamps " ? cheesy.gif

Karen Bravo - In answer to your original post (and I did read the entire discussion) the Immigration helpers are 100% wrong.

This exact scenario just happened to me a couple of months ago. I was leaving Thailand with an almost expired retirement visa and short on time at the airport so I did not stop off at re-entry permit desk in the airport immigration hall for fear that I would miss my flight. I thought that I could simply re-apply for a new retirement visa when I returned to Thailand the following week. What a mistake that was!!!

I found out the "hard way" that an entry stamp is not a visa. I was told by the official Immigration staff at Chaeng Wattana that they could not convert my entry stamp into a 90 day non-immigrant O (the first step toward the year long extension) because I HAD NO VISA TO CONVERT.

So, as it turns out, making a wasted trip to Chaeng Wattana was the least of it. I had to leave Thailand and go to a Thai embassy to get a 60 day tourist visa in order to start the process with a proper VISA. As luck would have it I had a short trip planned just before my 30 day VISA EXEMPT STAMP expired.

If anyone thinks that they can get a retirement visa with an entry stamp only, please go to your local Immigration office and then let us know how you did it because it is not a visa so it cannot be done.

Sophon

Cool explanation smile.png

Out of curiosity, is the "Visa-on-Arrival" that some passport holders buy at the airport a stamp or a sticker ?

It's a stamp. See post No. 45.

I had to leave Thailand and go to a Thai embassy to get a 60 day tourist visa in order to start the process with a proper VISA. As luck would have it I had a short trip planned just before my 30 day VISA EXEMPT STAMP expired.

In stead of applying for a tourist visa you could of course also have applied for a retirement visa.

I had to leave Thailand and go to a Thai embassy to get a 60 day tourist visa in order to start the process with a proper VISA. As luck would have it I had a short trip planned just before my 30 day VISA EXEMPT STAMP expired.

In stead of applying for a tourist visa you could of course also have applied for a retirement visa.

Why not practice as you so often preach to others on here and read the post properly..the reason for J99 's actions is all there.

Why not practice as you so often preach to others on here and read the post properly..the reason for J99 's actions is all there.

Yes, he mentions the reason, and yes, I had read that post. But no, his information is not correct. He could have applied for a retirement in stead of 'the first step is a tourist visa'. That's why I said what I said.

Edited by stevenl

Karen Bravo - In answer to your original post (and I did read the entire discussion) the Immigration helpers are 100% wrong.

This exact scenario just happened to me a couple of months ago. I was leaving Thailand with an almost expired retirement visa and short on time at the airport so I did not stop off at re-entry permit desk in the airport immigration hall for fear that I would miss my flight. I thought that I could simply re-apply for a new retirement visa when I returned to Thailand the following week. What a mistake that was!!!

I found out the "hard way" that an entry stamp is not a visa. I was told by the official Immigration staff at Chaeng Wattana that they could not convert my entry stamp into a 90 day non-immigrant O (the first step toward the year long extension) because I HAD NO VISA TO CONVERT.

So, as it turns out, making a wasted trip to Chaeng Wattana was the least of it. I had to leave Thailand and go to a Thai embassy to get a 60 day tourist visa in order to start the process with a proper VISA. As luck would have it I had a short trip planned just before my 30 day VISA EXEMPT STAMP expired.

If anyone thinks that they can get a retirement visa with an entry stamp only, please go to your local Immigration office and then let us know how you did it because it is not a visa so it cannot be done.

Johnny I think you may be a victim of different strokes for different immigration offices as I obtained my non o visa on the

strength of my entry stamp combined with a retirement extension application, albiet some time ago, at Phuket office, no

need to leave the country.

I did at one time look at changing my retirement extension to a marriage extension but immigration informed me then that

I would need to get a non o from an external Thai embassy/consulate as I could not use my existing non o for a marriage

extension, I tried to find out why this anomaly but the immigration officer I was dealing with was less than happy to explain

because, I suspect, she didn't know herself. Anyway the upshot was I just continued renewing my retirement ext.