Chulalongkorn Fine and Applied Arts Faculty dean apologizes for Hitler graduation mural

webfact

• Replies 300
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I suggest that this Uni should organise some field trips to a museum in Kanchanaburi.

That was the Japanese. Did you not know that?

Of course I knew that.

My Father was stationed in Burma during that war and very nearly ended up working on that bridge, so I am unlikely not to know it.

The whole point of taking the students (and probably most of the staff) to the Dearth Museum would be it illustrates the conditions of life that some had to endure, and how many didn't live through it.

Once they have witnessed that, it can then be explained that without the bloke with the raised arm and moustache, it would probably have never happened.

Well actually it was the Koreans who ran the POW camps in the building of the railroad. You can read all about it on a plaque in one of the cemeteries. They talk about after the railroad was built the Korean guards turned it all over to the Japanese and their standard of living went up. The museum at the bridge was more like a store house. The one at Hells Fire Pass was in my opinion much better. The Australians have done a masterful job of maintaining the cemeteries They are well worth a visit.

The movie The Bridge over the river Kwah was shot in India. The air force had no problems bombing that bridge wide open for air flights.

A trip to Hells Fire Pass will really give you an idea of what the POWs went through. Australia has built an excellent set of stairways and ramps to get down to it. One can only imagine the trip with out them.

what creeps me out even more, is the fact that no matter how often others try to tell and explain, they'll give a f*** and do it again, as if nothing happened. Not because they'd think they're right, but simply because admitting to have been wrong is not a commonly advertised trait.

• Like 2

I would prefer her to rip open her shirt like Superman.

I do like a fresh graduate, only can`t afford them these days.

I thought she may have done a twirl and transformed into Wonder Women..

Supakorn revealed that the main message behind the mural was that there were both good and bad superheroes. Since when has Hitler been considered a Super Hero, good or bad? Is it a bird, is it a plane, no it`s Super Adolf.

Seeing that girl doing a Nazi salute and apparently representing that University, it makes me wonder what sort of education the students are receiving there?

The only way to make these idiots see the errors of their ways is to hit them in the pocket, fine the University for inappropriate behavior not befitting such a so-called professional institution. But I doubt if anything will happen.

post-110219-0-01716100-1373881738_thumb.

Try and tell a Thai why it is inappropriate and wrong... and they will just tell you that foreigners have no right to tell them what to do because they were never colonised... their general benightedness knows no bounds...

If they are that enlightened how come they don't know the Chinese have been colonising Thailand for a couple of hundred years or more. Or asian colonisation is ok?

Are you trying to tell me that all the English mostly mil;atary who moved to Indiaa became colonists were no longer English citizens?

I am outraged and disgusted that a faculty of fine art can produce such a rubbish mural.

Hulk looks more like Gromit, Capt America looks like Cartman and who on Earth is the fat thing with the yellow star? Supercommie??

Behind the picture of Superman at 70 appears to be a snowman with lipstick - what's that all about?

The student in front could have just been asked "Where is that really tall building?" and she is replying "Over there and its this tall"

It reflects terribly on the university itself and proves that there are an awful lot of supposedly learned people, who know very very little about the world around them whatsoever running around in this country.

That's the key issue, anything that's not Thai is Farang. Farang food, Farang language and so on, they just don't know, that's all don't blame them. I got pupils wearing t-shirts with a swastika on it, well not a real Swastika, the nazi one, I had to explain them, they were not aware at all!

On the other hand, we should turn the page. Not forget, but stop using it as a propaganda that justifies all what is going on in Palestine.

I am a Jew and the few Thais I do tell I am Jewish do not even know what a Jew is. I could not believe the first one I told I thought they were joking. I bet all the nationalities on here know what a Jew is, except if you are Thai. The Thai education is generally an insult to the people, keeping them uneducated to not take on in adult life the Thai elite. As many of my friends say Thais are only one step out of the jungle. But with internet access in most cities it is surprising they still don't know what a Jew is.

I really don't see what the problem is, why would the Thai's know about Hitler, he never invaded Thailand, the European theatre of war never came to Thailand, but the Pacific theatre of war did came to Thailand and the Japanese army with it.

Whilst Hitler is an evil figure for us in the western world, it's not same in the Asian world, it's why we like Thailand and live there, it's different to our home countries!

We've been around and around that on other threads for weeks. We can put a certain amount of it down to base ignorance. However, when you plaster it on the wall at your supposed highest quality university, not ONE person even notices that it could possibly be offensive, and then to cap it all off the students actually pose, with arm raised in front of it, it really does beg a question about the level of knowledge of ANYONE within the university.

This is not a cheap burger joint looking for some marketing, this is not a bunch of 12 year olds in a school in Chiangmai. This is supposedly one of the better minds in the country glorifying Hitler. Now of course there is context, and maybe she though it might be a hoot, but I don't see her striking a superman pose either.

Its glorious ignorance, and there is nothing more dangerous in the world than ignorance. It is actually what allowed the whole Nazi thing to happen in the first place. I can understand some people being extremely offended by this. I however find it extremely pitiful that ANYONE in the world can be THAT IGNORANT about something like this, let alone someone supposedly with a "superior" education. If it was a neo-nazi Thai striking a pose on the basis of their views I would have more respect for it than some ditzy student not realising what they are doing. I can handle people with abominable views, I despair when I meet ignorance.

It reflects terribly on the university itself and proves that there are an awful lot of supposedly learned people, who know very very little about the world around them whatsoever running around in this country.

Ironically, if someone had put up a poster of Thaksin, it would probably have been ripped down in a minute.

Most 12 year old's in the UK probably don't know or even care who Hitler was, the second world war ended 68 years ago and will pass from living memory just as the first world war has done so. The this whole Hitler thing in Thailand does not offend me and also it's none of our business how schools are run in Thailand!

If we reverse the situation I think we all what the reaction would be if a figure that Thais reviled was to be depicted like this somewhere else in the world

Well go on then name an example and il make up a great photo shop photo, but Thai's have none only Heros wai.gif

That's the key issue, anything that's not Thai is Farang. Farang food, Farang language and so on, they just don't know, that's all don't blame them. I got pupils wearing t-shirts with a swastika on it, well not a real Swastika, the nazi one, I had to explain them, they were not aware at all!

On the other hand, we should turn the page. Not forget, but stop using it as a propaganda that justifies all what is going on in Palestine.

I don't expect them to know every tiny detail about Hitler and the holocaust. God knows, I myself could go and read more about it to inform myself better.

This is simply a case of, if you don't know anything about something, say and do nothing at all. Do they realise, that they would have been dragged themselves into the chambers as being of lesser race? Do they realise how ignorant that makes one look? Celebrating something, you understand nothing about, when in reality, the person you celebrate would have killed you?

As I said, this is supposedly being carried out by someone with education, and I would dearly love to meet this stupid girl to ask, "why did you do that?". No intellect, no hinterland, no historical perspective, but, no doubt very full of themselves as being superior to those others in Thai society. In reality, no more intellectually capable than the farmers, the educated look down on as being buffaloes. I would genuinely laugh in the face of anyone in Thailand who took that pose, and pity their lack of worldly knowledge.

• Like 1

I am a Jew and the few Thais I do tell I am Jewish do not even know what a Jew is. I could not believe the first one I told I thought they were joking. I bet all the nationalities on here know what a Jew is, except if you are Thai. The Thai education is generally an insult to the people, keeping them uneducated to not take on in adult life the Thai elite. As many of my friends say Thais are only one step out of the jungle. But with internet access in most cities it is surprising they still don't know what a Jew is.

Why would they? It isn't as if there is a significant Jewish community in Thailand. Most people only have a fairly loose grip on what Christianity or Islam is despite a reasonable representation of those religions here.

Edited by samran

I really don't see what the problem is, why would the Thai's know about Hitler, he never invaded Thailand, the European theatre of war never came to Thailand, but the Pacific theatre of war did came to Thailand and the Japanese army with it.

Whilst Hitler is an evil figure for us in the western world, it's not same in the Asian world, it's why we like Thailand and live there, it's different to our home countries!

We've been around and around that on other threads for weeks. We can put a certain amount of it down to base ignorance. However, when you plaster it on the wall at your supposed highest quality university, not ONE person even notices that it could possibly be offensive, and then to cap it all off the students actually pose, with arm raised in front of it, it really does beg a question about the level of knowledge of ANYONE within the university.

This is not a cheap burger joint looking for some marketing, this is not a bunch of 12 year olds in a school in Chiangmai. This is supposedly one of the better minds in the country glorifying Hitler. Now of course there is context, and maybe she though it might be a hoot, but I don't see her striking a superman pose either.

Its glorious ignorance, and there is nothing more dangerous in the world than ignorance. It is actually what allowed the whole Nazi thing to happen in the first place. I can understand some people being extremely offended by this. I however find it extremely pitiful that ANYONE in the world can be THAT IGNORANT about something like this, let alone someone supposedly with a "superior" education. If it was a neo-nazi Thai striking a pose on the basis of their views I would have more respect for it than some ditzy student not realising what they are doing. I can handle people with abominable views, I despair when I meet ignorance.

Ironically, if someone had put up a poster of Thaksin, it would probably have been ripped down in a minute.

Most 12 year old's in the UK probably don't know or even care who Hitler was, the second world war ended 68 years ago and will pass from living memory just as the first world war has done so. The this whole Hitler thing in Thailand does not offend me and also it's none of our business how schools are run in Thailand!

This is not a 12 year old. This is a university graduate. My kids are Thai and they are in the Thai curriculum, and I do have a vested interest in the education system here. As I said, it doesn't offend me, it makes me pity them. The supposedly intelligent are being treated like mushrooms and fed s**t. You don't see the sad irony of the upper class educated claiming that farmers are ignorant, when patently, they are as barely less worldly.

• Like 1

Just because the internet is only to play games. On the other hand, knowing other religions is part of their High School curriculum. Well, pure theory in the occurrence I'm afraid...

Why would they? It isn't as if there is a significant Jewish community in Thailand. Most people only have a fairly loose grip on what Christianity or Islam is despite a reasonable representation of those religions here.

OK but isn't that what an education system is for, to enlighten us to things, concepts that we may not have had first hand experience with?

Growing up in the USA, there were no elephants in my community; however, I knew they existed in far off lands because I learned that at school and with independent self education at public libraries.

• Like 2

Several posts refer to blonde hair and blue eyes. If that was the case Hitler and his inner circle would certainly have been excluded from the 'master race' he sought to create.

My grandfather died in Belsen (he fell out of a watchtower) but, seriously, I don't think there was any intended offence in the mural. If one deliberately sets out to hurt someone with ones actions that is a different thing. Better to keep things in perspective

Some people would find a mural depicting George Bush and Tony Bliar repugnant

• Like 2

Many complaining about this may remember Price Harry of the UK Parading around at a Uni party in Nazi regalia.

I presume he knew what he was doing!

totally agreed on that , unacceptable from Prince Harry ...

You mean THE Prince Harry?

SURELY NOT !

Hes one of us ... well educated ( in a 'collage' no less 555) and sensitive to others feelings like all us TV posters. To suggest he saw anything possibly humorous in Hitlers strange posturing , instead of sobbing daily into his handkerchief as The Wiesenthal Centre mandates ( while conveniently ignoring the continuing persecution of minorities by todays Israeli-Jews), would be a travesty indeed....

I do hope none of the 'outraged' here have never fancy dressed as Attila the Hun or Napolean or a cowboy .... all represent genocide for some ethnic group or other after all..

• Like 1

Don't get out much do you.

Tell it to a Cambodian a Laotian a Burmese a Viet Namise a China man.

You are not in Kansas any more Toto.

They know about as much of the Jewish people as you knew of the Hill Tribes before moving here.

• Like 1

Many complaining about this may remember Price Harry of the UK Parading around at a Uni party in Nazi regalia.

I presume he knew what he was doing!

totally agreed on that , unacceptable from Prince Harry ...

You mean THE Prince Harry?

SURELY NOT !

Hes one of us ... well educated ( in a 'collage' no less 555) and sensitive to others feelings like all us TV posters. To suggest he saw anything possibly humorous in Hitlers strange posturing , instead of sobbing daily into his handkerchief as The Wiesenthal Centre mandates ( while conveniently ignoring the continuing persecution of minorities by todays Israeli-Jews), would be a travesty indeed....

I do hope none of the 'outraged' here have never fancy dressed as Attila the Hun or Napolean or a cowboy .... all represent genocide for some ethnic group or other after all..

Whoever said that Prince Harry was an intelligent, culturally sensitive bloke?

"What we forget we are doomed to repeat"

Someone for got to tell them, Hitler was also anti Asian. Blonde hair and blue eyes only.

I think this would be the best way to explain the Thai people, that it was a person who would have wiped them out if he had had the chance.

• Like 1

Several posts refer to blonde hair and blue eyes. If that was the case Hitler and his inner circle would certainly have been excluded from the 'master race' he sought to create.

My grandfather died in Belsen (he fell out of a watchtower) but, seriously, I don't think there was any intended offence in the mural. If one deliberately sets out to hurt someone with ones actions that is a different thing. Better to keep things in perspective

Some people would find a mural depicting George Bush and Tony Bliar repugnant

The stereotypical blonde haired, blue eyed look was the Aryan physical ideal promoted by Nazi propaganda. That doesn't mean that other white "real" Germans (non-Jews, non-blacks, non-Slavik etc.) were not considered as German. Another thing about blonde hair in humans, sometimes young people are blonde and mature as not blonde. This is actually common in my fully Jewish family and that detail I think might have saved my grandmother's life at one point.

Interesting story about your grandfather. w00t.gif

Edited by Jingthing

"What we forget we are doomed to repeat"

ooooh, but the stupid poor are ignorant and have been manipulated. If only they would stay way down there, and let us the intelligent, educated one's control everything, wouldn't the world be a wonderful place.