My first Thai wedding experience.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree with you Todd,but it was at short notice and I have never owned a suit, lesson learned.[/quot

Apologies if I judged too quickly.

I once attended a training seminar in America and they said "business casual" not researching it properly I bought over 300 pounds of denim jeans only to find I was the only one in jeans.

Live and learn

• Like 1

Don't worry plenty of people wear jeans to weddings when everyone else is more formal.

Obviously they didn't mind and know differnet people have different circumstances and you are a farang with no need for trousers in Thailand. Same as many Thais who don't use them for work.

• Like 1

The only one I have ever been to was when a friend married a girl from a village in Issan. They didn't have any TVs there not a satellite dish in the whole village. It was a two day affair and the whole village partook of the festivities they just closed the main road through town down and set it up for the reception complete with a flat bed trailer across the road from which the band set their equipment up on. They even invited the next village. Dress was casual except for the Bride and Groom along with a few others.

There was about 30 of us from Chiang Mai we had chartered a bus up and back. It was an experience I will never forget. The actual wedding was a bit of a mystery to me as there was not room to see every thing. I remember part of it involved pouring water on a tree and another part where the couple knelt on the ground as a parade of every one there came through and congratulated them.

It was truly a memory to treasure.

• Like 1

Goes to show you the Thais are some of the most gracious people in the world.

Maybe save a few baht and buy a pair of proper trousers for the next event and you'll have many more memories to treasure, but denim at a formal function seriously ?[/quote

Why would you have more memories if you wear trousers?

Ridiculous comment.

• Like 1

I agree with you Todd,but it was at short notice and I have never owned a suit, lesson learned.[/quot

I once attended a training seminar in America and they said "business casual" not researching it properly I bought over 300 pounds of denim jeans only to find I was the only one in jeans.

Live and learn

You ever see Steve Jobs at a presentation or roll out, jeans was the order of the day.

I have never seen or known a Thai who possessed a suit (other than a recently arrived manager of some description)

If you had your envelope and the fact that you were there was enough.

Edited by johnlandy
  • Like 1

For my wedding, I rode on the back of my fiance's motorbike to the office, wearing my usual shorts, T shirt and flip flops, signed the documents, paid and gave my camera to the official to take a photo, LOL.

That was a great joke you nearley had me

Maybe save a few baht and buy a pair of proper trousers for the next event and you'll have many more memories to treasure, but denim at a formal function seriously ?

Why not I've worn jeans to both my Thai weddings facepalm.gif

Maybe thats why the first one left me cheesy.gif

Maybe save a few baht and buy a pair of proper trousers for the next event and you'll have many more memories to treasure, but denim at a formal function seriously ?

Nothing wrong with wearing denim at weddings and funerals in Thailand. I have always dressed like that on those occasions.

• Like 1

Same social etiquette as everywhere else. Depends on the social standing of the couple and their families, the place where the wedding and reception are being held etc.

I went to one wedding at a 5 star hotel. My wife insistied I wear expensive jeans and an even more expensive shirt for the morning ceremony and luncheon. Evening "bash" was a suit and tie for a sit down meal. Both bride and groom were Thai and the groom from a very wealthy family.

At another wedding, and American with a Thai-Chinese lady it was smart business casual. At one up country, strictly jeans and casual.

Try to find out what the dress code and norm will be before going. Being over dressed is as bad as feeling underdressed.

• Like 1

Don't worry plenty of people wear jeans to weddings when everyone else is more formal.

Obviously they didn't mind and know differnet people have different circumstances and you are a farang with no need for trousers in Thailand. Same as many Thais who don't use them for work.

There is a need for trousers, it would certainly be disrespectful to wear shorts at weddings. If anyone disagrees with me, and that is their privilege, that's fine. Thai girls on the whole do not like men wearing shorts apart from on the beach, playing sports etc. Try turning up for a first date with a Thai girl wearing shorts, you that is, and see what happens.

• Like 2

Live and learn

You ever see Steve Jobs at a presentation or roll out, jeans was the order of the day.

I have never seen or known a Thai who possessed a suit (other than a recently arrived manager of some description)

If you had your envelope and the fact that you were there was enough.

Suit? Trousers and long sleeve button down dress shirt is pretty standard around Thailand, no?

Personally I don't care what someone else decides to wear anywhere.

• Like 1

I have come to this reception wearing only jeans and a casual shirt and polished shoes.(I have never needed to wear more than shorts,sandals and a casual shirt in Thailand).

Looking at the newly married couple I felt embarrased at my dress code....

Embarrassed ? You should feel ashamed of yourself !

People do notice what you wear and how you behave, as you describe the situation I would expect that your wife is not too pleased at the disrespect that you shown to the couple getting married. But ask her and she will say "It's not important" or "Doesn't matter", each of which you should know are face deferral expressions to avoid making a bad situation worst.

Do you not have a closet of clothes to choose from?

Or are you one of the farangs that consider wearing shorts and a Singha T-shirt to the immigration office is normal?

I can not understand how wearing jeans to a wedding in our respective native countries would be considered good manners, so why might it be OK in Thailand. Never seen wedding pictures before?

Go shopping, buy clothes suitable for a formal occasion with suitable light and dark shirts for weddings and funerals. A few ties wouldn't hurt.

I know I probably have more clothes than I will ever need to wear again, but I can change into appropriate clothing after a shower depending if we are going to dinner, a house warming, wedding or funeral.

Show some respect for yourself.

Edited by Cuban
  • Like 1

I've been to 3 weddings, not counting my own. 2 at homes and 1 at a huge restaurant. All 3 times I wore slacks, button down shirt, and had no problems. But on 2 ocassions, I had some major problems.

My wife works for a large insurance company, and every 3 months they have an awards dinner at a major hotel. First time we are getting ready, I ask her what should I wear. She says nice slacks and shirt. Ok, fine. We show up, and I'm the only man NOT wearing suit and tie. I shrugged it off. 3 months later, another party. I go with custom made 3 piece suit. Wife is dressed nice, but carrying a bag with some other things, that I really didn't notice. As soon as we get to the hotel, and the proper floor, she bolts into the bath room, while I go into the main room, where I find everyone wearing some sort of silly, assanine costume! I turn around and see wife emerging from bathroom wearing an outfit that made her look like a 1920's era Flapper Girl. I smiled and told her she could get one of her friends to bring her home, and walked out.

When she came home she immediately started apologizing for not telling me what kind of party it was. I smile and told her that it didn't matter, because I would never go to anything like that with her again. Now, every 3 months she goes alone, having learned that asking and begging me to go with her is completely pointless. And I won't allow her to take the car. One of her friends/co-workers has to come pick her up.

• Like 2

For my wedding, I rode on the back of my fiance's motorbike to the office, wearing my usual shorts, T shirt and flip flops, signed the documents, paid and gave my camera to the official to take a photo, LOL.

Thats the official wedding and not the Thai wedding no.....

I had to wait 4 hours for signed the paper, take picture to.

Thai wedding take more time.

I have come to this reception wearing only jeans and a casual shirt and polished shoes.(I have never needed to wear more than shorts,sandals and a casual shirt in Thailand).

Looking at the newly married couple I felt embarrased at my dress code....

Embarrassed ? You should feel ashamed of yourself !

People do notice what you wear and how you behave, as you describe the situation I would expect that your wife is not too pleased at the disrespect that you shown to the couple getting married. But ask her and she will say "It's not important" or "Doesn't matter", each of which you should know are face deferral expressions to avoid making a bad situation worst.

Do you not have a closet of clothes to choose from?

Or are you one of the farangs that consider wearing shorts and a Singha T-shirt to the immigration office is normal?

I can not understand how wearing jeans to a wedding in our respective native countries would be considered good manners, so why might it be OK in Thailand. Never seen wedding pictures before?

Go shopping, buy clothes suitable for a formal occasion with suitable light and dark shirts for weddings and funerals. A few ties wouldn't hurt.

I know I probably have more clothes than I will ever need to wear again, but I can change into appropriate clothing after a shower depending if we are going to dinner, a house warming, wedding or funeral.

Show some respect for yourself.

wow the fashion police,or working class snob,who are you to dictate what he should wear,,,,,house warming,,,,hahahahaha....coffee1.gif

There is a need for trousers, it would certainly be disrespectful to wear shorts at weddings. If anyone disagrees with me, and that is their privilege, that's fine. Thai girls on the whole do not like men wearing shorts apart from on the beach, playing sports etc. Try turning up for a first date with a Thai girl wearing shorts, you that is, and see what happens.

Not only Thai girls.

Shorts are for farmers and such. The lowest of the lowest. Maybe children. A farang with shorts, not only at weddings, is just a clown or tourist. And that applies to other Asian countries as well.

• Like 1

yes i had a sandman way back in 75 , green one it was always rockin

Long shot here kevvy .....in Sydney? Possibly Holsworthy?

Oh, and on topic ..last wedding I attended was jean shorts, leather sandals and a Buriram supporters t-shirt. I cant remember anyone looking at me twice smile.png

Edited by Thai Chi
  • Like 1