"Pattaya" is bad for the reputation

Gone

Pattaya isn't an address. Your written Address, as you would use at Immigration fro 90 day etc should be something like:

123/45 Moo 10

Nongprue

Banglamung

Chonburi 20150

THAILAND

Edit: I use Pattaya when talking. If anybody (I talk to) has a fixation with that and implies any impropriety with living here, I give them an educated gobfull and get them on the back foot so fast that they fall over themselves apologising. As to the Pattaya bashers on TV......don't really care what they think, Tossers are allowed opinions too. coffee1.gif

I have never seen a legal address that includes "Pattaya" in it.

The OP is right that it carries negative connotations. I always mention Jomtien in conversations and use the legal address in writing.

It is a case of "a bit of knowledge is a dangerous thing" and "ignorance is very daring" combined by those who put anything around the Pattaya area in the

same old sexpat cliche.

• Replies 197
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Teh fug, I aint old. Male and dirty yes but old............ them's fightin words.

*****.......... All my mail goes to my work address which is also the address for my 90 day reporting............ my existance in Pattaya (actually Nongprue) is purely physical.

Edited by Spoonman

Pattaya isn't an address. Your written Address, as you would use at Immigration fro 90 day etc should be something like:

123/45 Moo 10

Nongprue

Banglamung

Chonburi 20150

THAILAND

Edit: I use Pattaya when talking. If anybody (I talk to) has a fixation with that and implies any impropriety with living here, I give them an educated gobfull and get them on the back foot so fast that they fall over themselves apologising. As to the Pattaya bashers on TV......don't really care what they think, Tossers are allowed opinions too. coffee1.gif

To tell the truth I never knew that you did not have to include Pattaya in your address. I have been here quite some time and didn't realize this so thank you. I actually use the identical example that you gave except mine would be:

123/45 Moo 10

Nongprue

Banglamung, Pattaya

Chonburi 20150

THAILAND

For sure you would still receive mail etc. without using the "Pattaya" word?

As far as the date sites go I just wanted to be honest because most of the "good girls" are in Bkk etc. and wanted to let them know that I live here and don't intend to move. Anyways those sites are amusement in themselves. Well at least if you live in Pattaya they are. lol

And plenty of those BKK females come to Pattaya for the weekend. Some come to work freelance too.

Two sides to every face ;)

Screw the narrow minded hypocrites and stop hiding your light under a bushel!

Tell 'em you live on Soi 6 and stop being a wimp <deleted>.

Exactly. You don't have to defend yourself to strangers on the net about where you choose to reside....they are probably jealous anyway that you live in glorious Pattaya and they probably live in a shack in Nakhon Nowhere or bkk where they would love to get out of.

Hey, it's not just Pattaya. It's the whole country. I've stopped telling some colleagues in Singapore that I'm going 'up to Thailand' because I often get a smirk in return. Simply visiting (or living) in Thailand as a single male creates 'associations' in people's minds. And, of course, say you have a Thai girlfriend and they'll automatically assume that she's an ex-bar-girl who is only with you for your money. Wait... a lot of people around here also make that assumption! smile.png

You are right, it goes for the whole of Thailand, its bad for an international CV, I bet your email is a hotmail one as well because that will really stand you up for being a looser.

If you are in an international work situation why would you not make your address Switzeralnd or New York or similar.

I still reference a London address and still have London bank accounts and I have been here 30 years!!! "works for me, no raising of eybrows here".wai.gif

Generally in agreement with you, but nowhere did I use the word "normal" - that was your word. Of the "normal" folk you know, do you count yourself as one of "them" when you say "but I also know why they originally came here"? Before you ask - I would. coffee1.gif

Having used normal in parentheses, it is open to interpretation....

I didn't really want to make this a discussion about my own personal reasons for being here, but yes, I could be considered among the "normal". Perhaps even more "normal" than most as I came here with my partner and have lived in a monogamous relationship for the whole time I've been here.

...but, I don't get upset if people think otherwise. I'm aware what most people are thinking and don't blame them for thinking it.

"Perhaps even more "normal" than most as I came here with my partner and have lived in a monogamous relationship for the whole time I've been here."?

Then, you certainly are not "normal" in my book! tongue.png

http://magazine.foxnews.com/love/cheating-statistics-do-men-cheat-more-women

http://articles.washingtonpost.com/2012-02-13/opinions/35442797_1_current-partner-wealthy-men-text-messages

With the dating sites, it's not where u live. It's the size of your wallet.

I meet loads of ladies and my location given is Pattaya.

My ID is "Fat-Wallet" cheesy.gif

MMMM Wonder why I dont get any replies at all, maybe also something with my username? Its "Flat Wallet"....whistling.gif

You are right, it goes for the whole of Thailand, its bad for an international CV, I bet your email is a hotmail one as well because that will really stand you up for being a looser.

If you are in an international work situation why would you not make your address Switzeralnd or New York or similar.

I still reference a London address and still have London bank accounts and I have been here 30 years!!! "works for me, no raising of eybrows here".wai.gif

"stand you up for being a looser."

Sort of shot yourself in the foot with this one. Certainly some people in Pattaya are a little looser than is good for them, but I'm pretty sure you were speaking of "losers."

Remember, Pattaya is not a traditionally grown Thai town. Pattaya consisted of a few fishermen's huts in 1964 when the US Army started to send their GI's here for RR - 'recreation' and 'rest'. Every educated Thai knows Pattaya was built for foreigners use and is still under the siege of foreigners. They don't regard it as being a purely 'Thai' town. The remarks you get for living in Pattaya all point into this direction, into what the town is known for . . 'roll on, roll off' business.

Not quite correct. It was a really nice place in 1963 before the GI's came Most of the embassies had bungalows down there as did many expats and Thais. We had a thriving diving club and sailing club and I went every week end and holiday. It was crowded with nice Thais and expats . But no bars or prostitutes the water was clean and clear and the beachs spotless. It really was a paradise.

I think the remarks you mentioned are true to a certain extent. I can't think that anyone would live in Pattaya except old ugly men who could never find a decent looking girl in their own country. You can see them every where in Pattaya

• Like 2

I think the remarks you mentioned are true to a certain extent. I can't think that anyone would live in Pattaya except old ugly men who could never find a decent looking girl in their own country. You can see them every where in Pattaya

So true, as all the handsome men are in Udon Thani.....

• Like 2

123/45 Moo 10

Nongprue

Banglamung

Chonburi 20150

THAILAND

To tell the truth I never knew that you did not have to include Pattaya in your address. I have been here quite some time and didn't realize this so thank you. I actually use the identical example that you gave except mine would be:

123/45 Moo 10

Nongprue

Banglamung, Pattaya

Chonburi 20150

THAILAND

Yes my mail arrives Ok. The 123/45 Moo 10 is what gets it here. I think it generally describes the street/suburb (in our terms) of the greater Banglamung area.

I hope that's not your real address, or you could get some TV posters knocking at your door wanting you to join them for a drink, unless that was your idea in the first place.

Theres a great deal of confusion and misinformation when it comes to addresses in Pattaya area; Jomtien, Nakluea, Muang Banglamung (Banglamung City), Nongprue, Nong Pla Lai, Huai Yai, Na Jomtien, and Bangsaray. Part of the misunderstanding comes from foreigners who dont understand Thai administrative districts (Changwats, Amphurs, and Tambons), people who dont know that Pattaya is a special administrative district, and those who want to associate or disassociate themselves from Pattaya.

I hope this information will help correct all the misunderstandings and confusion.

Chonburi is a Changwat (Province) of Thailand. It includes the Amphur (District) of Banglamung) in the southern part of Chonburi Province, and Amphur (District) Sattahip located at the southern tip of Chonburi Province.

Pattaya City is a self-governing municipal area in the southern part of Amphur (District) Banglamung, which covers the whole of Tambons (Local Districts) Nongprue and Nakluea and parts of Huai Yai and Nong Pla Lai. It uses the postal code of 20150. Some like to include parts of Tambons Na Jomtien and Bangsaray which is in Ampur (District) Sattahip to attract visitors to think that they are part of Pattaya.

Jomtien Beach is a community area within Tambon (Local District) of Nongprue, and includes whole of Moo 12 and part of Moo 10. Since theres a post office dedicated to Jomtien, it uses the postal code of 20160.

Every address in Thailand has a blue housebook assoicated with it. Addresses in Thailand start with the smallest entity of the address going to a larger entity of the address for example:

999/999[1] Moo 99[2]

Village, Hotel, or Condo name[3] Room 9999[4]

Soi name or number[5]/ Road name[6]

City (Muang)[7]

Tambon[8], Amphur[9]

Changwat[10], 99999[11]

Thailand[12]

• (Required) 999/999 - House number. The house number is assigned by the Tesaban (City Hall or local administrative authority issuing the house book(s)) and is part the official address in the house book. If there are more than one housebook associated with the address, it usually is in the form of 999/999-999 where the first housebook subnumber is after the / and the last house subnumber is after the -. You usually see this with business addresses.
  • (Required) Moo 99 Mooban number (community number) or Moo (shortened) and is part of the official address in the house book. Each local district is divided up into Moobans (communities). Nongprue is divided into 12 Moos.
  • (Optional) Village, Hotel, or Condo name. These names are given by the project developers. Some like to include it to clarify the address more or show that they reside in an exclusive area or building.
  • (Optional) Room number. Again these are assigned by the developer and used to clarify the address more. Since they arent used as part the official address, the placement of room numbers isnt important, just as long as its before the Tambon in the address.
  • (Optional) A Soi name or number that branches off a road. The Sois are numbered from one end to the other end of a road. For example, there are there are several Soi 4s in Pattaya.
  • (Optional) Sometimes a road (Thanon or Sai) it also can be called a Soi (example Soi Khao Noi)
  • (Optional) City, such as; Pattaya, Pattaya City, Muang Pattaya, Jomtien, Jomtien Beach, etc
  • (Required) Tambon (Local District) and is part of the official address in the house book. Usually one of the following Tambons; Nongprue, Nakluea, Huai Yai, Nong Pla Lai. Some may use Tambon Na Jomtien or Bangsaray with a postal code of 20250). Theres a post office in Na Jomtien.
  • (Required) Amphur (District) and is part of the official address in the house book.
  • (Required) Changwat (Province) and is part of the official address in the house book.
  • (Required for mail delivery only) 99999 Postal code. Its not part of the official address in the house book. Its the number assigned to the post office that provides mail delivery. Without it mail can still be delivered, but it might take longer. All mail without a postal code goes to the Amphurs main post office first. Then to the letter carrier that services that Moo within the Tambon. Most of the Pattaya area is 20150. Jomtien is 20160. Na Jomtien and Bangsaray use 20250.
  • (Required for International mail coming into Thailand) Mail delivered within Thailand usually doesnt have the name or abreviation of the country.
Please tell me that you c&p that and didn't type it all out?

Oh dear... the 'my bushel is bigger than your bushel' taunts have started.

I honestly do not know what OP is talking about.

I am in mid-late thrity's, been on dating sites for years and NOT once had any girl tell me "only dirty old farang live there", possibly though a 50 year old is trying to chat up a 20 year old he might get that response

Secondly, why would big international company reply with something like what OP has claimed?

After reading the CV, you either short listed or not. If not shortlisted, you get a standard copy/paste response and if short listed you get a phone call or email to attend the interview.

For some reason, me thinks OP wants some attention or something to make up these story's, but happy to be proven wrong, OP just needs to post some evidence.

Perhaps one of those responses along with email header(for authenticity)wai.gif

Edited by lemoncake

Sorry to be contrary to most of the posts, but I think Pattaya deserves its reputation in general. There are plenty of really nice places for a farang to live in Thailand - why choose the cesspit that Pattaya has become? Read all the other forums where those living there are constantly complaining about the place!

My sincere apologies to those who do lead a normal & enjoyment life there, but I think you are becoming fewer and further apart.

• Like 2

Sorry to be contrary to most of the posts, but I think Pattaya deserves its reputation in general. There are plenty of really nice places for a farang to live in Thailand - why choose the cesspit that Pattaya has become? Read all the other forums where those living there are constantly complaining about the place!

My sincere apologies to those who do lead a normal & enjoyment life there, but I think you are becoming fewer and further apart.

Please name those nice places, which offer a number of english speaking newspapers, tv channels, variety of foods, centrally located, beaches, does not get flooded,reliable internet, some sort of international community, close to international airport etc??????????

• Like 2

123/45 Moo 10

Nongprue

Banglamung

Chonburi 20150

THAILAND

123/45 Moo 10

Nongprue

Banglamung, Pattaya

Chonburi 20150

THAILAND

Yes my mail arrives Ok. The 123/45 Moo 10 is what gets it here. I think it generally describes the street/suburb (in our terms) of the greater Banglamung area.

I hope that's not your real address, or you could get some TV posters knocking at your door wanting you to join them for a drink, unless that was your idea in the first place.

Nope, the 123/45 is just made up, but it will be somebody's address. Even if it was mine, the chances of anybody (even a Thai) finding it are about as remote as winning the lottery. Only the post office can find an address like that in Thailand. It's meaningless for all practical purposes - TIT. coffee1.gif

"stand you up for being a looser."

Sort of shot yourself in the foot with this one. Certainly some people in Pattaya are a little looser than is good for them, but I'm pretty sure you were speaking of "losers."

Yes I stand corrected! I was never a any good at spelin.

Oh dear... the 'my bushel is bigger than your bushel' taunts have started.

giggle.gif 555 cheesy.gif