Disliking everyone you meet in Thailand...

MrWorldwide

there are few people i trust in this world in any country, most of those people have the same last name as me although i dont trust everyone that shares my last name. i trust people here both Thai and farang no more or less than I trust people back in the USA.

p.s. i do enjoy the company of many people i would not trust with anything significant.

I guess I agree with this - trust is a sliding scale. I trust some people enough to leave my bag or drink with them while I visit the toilet, I trust others with my money and my very existence - strangers I trust with neither, but do not overtly so. It is human to weigh up risk, sometimes we get it wrong (and I'd better there is not a person here, or anywhere over 20, that has not been burned in some way for trusting the wrong person) - and this teaches us to be more vigilant about who we trust with what.

This of course does not mean we should generalise and/or state publically (as fact in many cases) that one race or group is less trust worthy than another - the case should always be, only trust those that have earned it with that which matters most, and trust anyone with that which matters not at all.

We are lucky to come from Common Law and civil law jurisdictions, where the state allows the law to flourish, and the law allows trust to flourish, and avenges it where it is betrayed.

Many in Asia and elsewhere are not so lucky, but we should remember that here, we are not in the land of the thus-fortunate

SC

• Replies 297
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

there are few people i trust in this world in any country, most of those people have the same last name as me although i dont trust everyone that shares my last name. i trust people here both Thai and farang no more or less than I trust people back in the USA.

p.s. i do enjoy the company of many people i would not trust with anything significant.

I guess I agree with this - trust is a sliding scale. I trust some people enough to leave my bag or drink with them while I visit the toilet, I trust others with my money and my very existence - strangers I trust with neither, but do not overtly so. It is human to weigh up risk, sometimes we get it wrong (and I'd better there is not a person here, or anywhere over 20, that has not been burned in some way for trusting the wrong person) - and this teaches us to be more vigilant about who we trust with what.

This of course does not mean we should generalise and/or state publically (as fact in many cases) that one race or group is less trust worthy than another - the case should always be, only trust those that have earned it with that which matters most, and trust anyone with that which matters not at all.

We are lucky to come from Common Law and civil law jurisdictions, where the state allows the law to flourish, and the law allows trust to flourish, and avenges it where it is betrayed.

Many in Asia and elsewhere are not so lucky, but we should remember that here, we are not in the land of the thus-fortunate

SC

The judiciary system here is quite good and fair - however, just like in the west, most people can not afford to avail themselves of it. Fraud and theft, trust crimes, are at least as bad in the wealthy western countries as here I would suggest. There are just good people and bad people - people that will be tempted for whatever reason and those that cannot. A mother of a father of a starving family will take what they need to feed their kin - that is as true here as anywhere else. Indeed in the UK if I dropped my wallet there is a chance someone will run after me with it to hand back, and a chance that I'll never see it again - here the same, but in my experience at least, Thais seem more apt to do the former (i.e. return it) than my fellow countrymen - just an observation based on a tiny pool of one, of course.

In the UK I was robbed (burglary) twice (once when I was renovating and all they stole was second hand plug sockets and switches - cheap plastic ones I had removed! - and a cheap chipboard fireplace surround - second time they were caught by my pregnant Thai wife and made a runner with nought) and pick pocketed twice (in London both times - lost wallet first time and PDA second time). I have never been pick picketed here, and bugled only once (they entered an unlocked door while we were upstairs and stole laptop/ipad/Blackberry all left downstairs by my daughter) - so more a crime of opportunity (they were visible through glass patio doors direct to street) - I also know who it was, some motorcycle loan shark collectors (teens), but cannot prove it of course. The door now stays resolutely locked if we are in or not - trust level down one notch!

Edited by wolf5370

You will never have a life anywhere@ what a waste of flesh you are.Get a balcony as soon as and do a leap! I have met happier better ajusted people in the gutter..

Tell him what you really think will ya..

• Like 1