Lawyer necessary for condo purchase?

I have been told that a lawyer is not necessary for a real estate transaction in Thailand. either purchase or sale. I am considering buying a condo and need to know if a title search and transfer of deed is the normal way of doing business in completing the purchase.

A lawyer isn't needed if the buyer has the knowledge to carry out the purchase

and the seller is trustworthy and also doesn't require a lawyer.

If both, the buyer and seller use lawyers then the process can take longer due to

all the red tape they seem to introduce.

Sometimes, both the buyer and seller use the same lawyer to share the cost

and simplify the transaction.

I have just bought condos Both the seller and I went to the land office to transfer the deeds to my name and handed over the chanotes then I signed the back of the cashiers check to the seller and it took about 3 hours tops.I have to go back to get my yellow book they wanted my passport and birth certificate translated into Thai before issuing the Yellow book.

I recently purchased a condo with the help of a lawyer, who also did the Thai translations as part of the fee. They drafted the Sale and Purchase Agreement and everything went smoothly. The lawyer attended the Land Office and we were in and out within 2 hours. Their help was invaluable and worth the 30,000 fee, a small sum to pay for a 2,300,000 piece of real estate..

I recently purchased a condo with the help of a lawyer, who also did the Thai translations as part of the fee. They drafted the Sale and Purchase Agreement and everything went smoothly. The lawyer attended the Land Office and we were in and out within 2 hours. Their help was invaluable and worth the 30,000 fee, a small sum to pay for a 2,300,000 piece of real estate..

Do you need to have a birth certificate on top of your passport?? Is this in any land office or only enforced in some particular offices? Any other document that can replace a birth certificate in the absence thereof?

Hi Sotsira, when you say "if the buyer has knowledge", what did you mean? Yhanks!

I mean knowing the procedure and requirements of buying a condo.

EG:

To buy in foreign name requires an FET (Tor Tor Sam) from your bank in Thailand.

Seller needs to provide a Debt clearance certificate.

Writing out a sale/purchase contract without prejudice to either buyer or seller.

Understanding the wording of the title deed and square meterage of the property.

Negotiate who will pay the land office Taxes and knowing the approx amount.

Knowing how much of the sale price to declare to the land office.

Making the payments of deposits and sale price without risks.

Do you need to have a birth certificate on top of your passport?? Is this in any land office or only enforced in some particular offices? Any other document that can replace a birth certificate in the absence thereof?

I've never been asked to provide a birth certificate when buying a condo.