Thunderer Tyre (Thai brand)

"A lot of narrow minded people used to say this exact thing about Kumho tires" But Kumho are made in Korea, are they not?

I've only had one set of Kumho tyres, fitted as original equipment to a Daewoo I bought for my now ex-girlfriend some years ago in Oz. All was good till we took the car up country one summers day. Whilst passing a 'B' double at 120kph the left front blew out. Scary experience. But I guided it on the wrong side of the road till speed dropped then pulled onto the verge. The tyres had less than 20k on them.

Despite claims of tyre makers it's always good to bear in mind you only get what you pay for. And even if Bridgestone. Continental, Dunlop, Goodyear, Michelin or Pirelli make tyres in China you can be dam_n sure the quality is as good as the ones they used to make in Europe or U.S.A.

So how many kerbs did the ex hit prior to this.

The tyre looked alright when I washed the car. It was my work ute that got a little bit of punishment from time to time. smile.png

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"A lot of narrow minded people used to say this exact thing about Kumho tires" But Kumho are made in Korea, are they not?

I've only had one set of Kumho tyres, fitted as original equipment to a Daewoo I bought for my now ex-girlfriend some years ago in Oz. All was good till we took the car up country one summers day. Whilst passing a 'B' double at 120kph the left front blew out. Scary experience. But I guided it on the wrong side of the road till speed dropped then pulled onto the verge. The tyres had less than 20k on them.

Despite claims of tyre makers it's always good to bear in mind you only get what you pay for. And even if Bridgestone. Continental, Dunlop, Goodyear, Michelin or Pirelli make tyres in China you can be dam_n sure the quality is as good as the ones they used to make in Europe or U.S.A.

Sometimes you get more than you pay for (if you're a tuned in consumer) or less then you pay for as well, it's not black and white. I can tell you I have had tire failures on nearly EVERY single major brand of tire manufacturer but that's across the board and not how I judge a whole brand of any given tire (or product necessarily) on a single failure that may or may not be a fluke.. It's just not that simple.. In my previous example I bashed the dog snot out of one of mine and while the rim required replacing, the tire sidewall held up nicely..

FYI before anyone goes there, I know Kumho is not Chinese they're Korean I was just using them as an upstart example into the stateside market and the comparable negative attitude to something new, previously unknown and it's origins..

Edited by WarpSpeed

All this burning rubber brings back Memories.A Cooper S was improperly dressed without a set of Herringbone Dunlop SP41.Bently and Rolls had Avon.Michlin had to be X,"Yer Tyres Flat" drove me mad. Fords had Firestone or Goodyear.Italian Rot Boxes like Fiat used Pirelli,that lasted longer than the Body. We all have our Favourite.Mines Hakka for Sport,and Mich/Pirelli for everyday. What happened to R.Q.s they were not remoulds,just small cosmetic blemishes,sold off cheap in English Newspaper Motoring News.I loved that Paper too.!!thumbsup.gif .

"Sometimes you get more than you pay for (if you're a tuned in consumer) or less then you pay for as well, it's not black and white."

That's possible....but works best for flat pack furniture, or jewellery you bought on ebay, or a bottle of wine you bought cheap. For stuff like big screen TV's, tyres and rims I think I will pay more.

Kumho must have improved their tyres a great deal. I haven't seem any news articles bout DOT closing them down!

I'm currently using Thunderer Tires on my Mazda3. I drive at 120km/h....sometimes 140km/p. I've put 65,000km on the tires and will be replacing it when I hit 70,000. The tires are now 18 months old. with a decent amount of tread left and I've never had a problem. I use BQuick free balancing/rotation every 10,000km.

Overall the tires are quiet with very little road noise feed back. I will buy Thunderer again when the time comes.

I'm currently using Thunderer Tires on my Mazda3. I drive at 120km/h....sometimes 140km/p. I've put 65,000km on the tires and will be replacing it when I hit 70,000. The tires are now 18 months old. with a decent amount of tread left and I've never had a problem. I use BQuick free balancing/rotation every 10,000km.

Overall the tires are quiet with very little road noise feed back. I will buy Thunderer again when the time comes.

Hmm why didn't you buy the 6000b per corner Bridgestones or Nitto's or something similarly expensive I wonder?? whistling.gif Surely saving that much money you must feel uncertain & unsafe while you're driving at such speeds? rolleyes.gifcoffee1.gif

What was the specific model of tire you bought?

thank you. Finally a man with experience.

Hmm why didn't you buy the 6000b per corner Bridgestones or Nitto's or something similarly expensive I wonder?? whistling.gif Surely saving that much money you must feel uncertain & unsafe while you're driving at such speeds? rolleyes.gifcoffee1.gif

What was the specific model of thunderers being used?

As it is, I don't see much difference in what tires are being used when driving on the street - most will be hardened by the heat by two years old, become noisy and lose grip.

As it is, I don't see much difference in what tires are being used when driving on the street - most will be hardened by the heat by two years old, become noisy and lose grip.

Edited by culicine

Some posts are worth repeating!

70k from a set of tyres is almost unbelievable for me! I praise the god of rubber if I get 50k!

Of course driving style is a big factor in tyre life.

Some posts are worth repeating!

70k from a set of tyres is almost unbelievable for me! I praise the god of rubber if I get 50k!

Of course driving style is a big factor in tyre life.

For 70K the rubber must be very hard to last that long. 50K seems to be about the limit in tropical conditions. I have close to 40K on yokohamas and they are still pretty good. Not sure I'd get to 70K on them though.

I've had a couple of sets of Toyo tyres. But I am thinking I've had a couple of sets of all the major brands.....except Hoosiers. Another one back home was Sumitomo which provided a good range of tyres.

Ehh?? crazy.gif.pagespeed.ce.dzDUUqYcHZ.gif

Edited by WarpSpeed

Se Toyo Tires are running Ads on Thai T.V... Never heard of them.

Never heard of Toyo's?? I was racing on them 25 years ago here in the states when they first came into the market like the Kumhos did some 10 years later, another tire that came out and was a hard sell at first, then they got into racing, proved their worth and took off, very popular now.

Edited by WarpSpeed

Mach III R701

I've had a couple of sets of Toyo tyres. But I am thinking I've had a couple of sets of all the major brands.....except Hoosiers. Another one back home was Sumitomo which provided a good range of tyres.

Raced on Hoosiers for many years and set quite a few track records on them that still stand..Great dry, but no real rains or intermediates have to use their dirt track tire for rain and if it dries out you're screwed as they're way too soft.

Depends a lot where you have lived.Theres many Brands i've never heard about.I know of Barum, Mabor,Viking and Semprit,but my pals never heard of them.coffee1.gif

Have you heard of Continental tyres ?

Edited by Spoonman