Nok Air Shuttle Bus From Service From Udon Thani To Ventiane Is A Waste Of Time....

theblether

And for us Lucky Canadian the visa fee is 42 USD.

I Wonder what Canada did to Laos in the past to get the higher visa price ?

i think it was something about allowing too many laos citizens to live there. was ages ago when canada was very easy to get into .for everyone.

Thanks for this info; I think it is a good explanation.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

WeTssvX.jpgEnXe5vM.jpg47QbRaD.jpgimages taken end of april 2013

Everyone always talks about the excellent, cheap van service from Udon Thani to Vientiane. But nobody talks about the return service going back to the Udon airport. This is where I've always had problems. Going to Friendship bridge from Udon I paid 200 baht per person. However, going back I was forced to pay 1,500 baht for a different van service, since I never could find the same van service I came to Friendship bridge with. How do you find the same van service for the return trip?

there are big buses that go direct from the bus station near morning market to udon bus station. to use the buses going in the reverse direction thai to loas, farang absolutely need to have a pre-issued from laos embassy visa.

Edited by requiredinfo
  • Like 1

Going to Vientiane from Udon is a waist of time. The flights operated by low cost airlines are schedule in the middle of the day. If I can't afford a direct flight BKK/VTE I use night train...

There are 12 return flights a day Bangkok/Udon/Bangkok, with the first leaving Bangkok at 0700, and the last leaving Udon Thani at 2000.

Surely you know that it is always more expensive for Canadians everywhere. Even in Canada. If Walmart for example sells a product for $10.00 in the U.S. it becomes $15.00 in Canada. Its not duty either that increases the price as its basically free trade between the two countries. Not foreign exchange either as the two currencies trade very close to each other these days. Its just the pleasure of being from the frozen north.

The Laos Visa prices vary for about 46 differdnt countries. Swiss citizens geg 15 free days, US pay $30, some countries pay 35,15,40 and 42 $USD. The exchangd rate that Laos imigration uses was 35/1 (bagh to dollar). So no"scam" reallly it has always been better to pay in US dollars. Officially you are required to have 2 passport photos, however they usually only ask for one (or you may pay $1usd in lieu of,but no guarantee). Also the "overtime fee is paid on saturday, sunday, all thai/laos holidays and if crossing before 8am or after 4pm (subject to change)

At the moment as of Monday things are going as normal. No signs of things tightening up for tourist Visas.

Post removed - no need to lecture members.

Thanks very much. wai.gif

The OP is aimed at those within the CM community that are considering using the Nok Air shuttle service as described. Many members will not have made the trip before, therefore I have added a layer of detail that may be helpful to them.

Out with the detail about the bus trip, I'm interested to see if anyone has presented US Dollars as payment recently. It's a fair sting to be charged 1500 baht instead of $35.00.

Yes, it's US$35 for passport holders from most countries. I am a French national, and for us, it's US$30 and I always pay using this currency (if you don't have US dollars, you may still pay in Thai Baht, but their exchange rate is much worse for you than what you can get at any local bank). It's better to buy at any local bank the needed amount in US dollars beforehand.

Once at the Laos border, you can pop over to the little collection of shops and there are a couple of exchange places that will change your baht into dollars at a reasonable rate - saves you about 350-400 baht, and worth the five minutes' effort, if only on principle. The odd thing is I have told many people while at the border they can pop over and do it, and most of them choose not to take the advice. Those who did thanked me afterwards.

I crossed on sunday afternoon---was 36 USD as i had a 50 and got 14 in change--was the quickest

ive had done in years--same said for my thai visa in laos--seems they have some students helping..

The OP is aimed at those within the CM community that are considering using the Nok Air shuttle service as described. Many members will not have made the trip before, therefore I have added a layer of detail that may be helpful to them.

Out with the detail about the bus trip, I'm interested to see if anyone has presented US Dollars as payment recently. It's a fair sting to be charged 1500 baht instead of $35.00.

Yes, it's US$35 for passport holders from most countries. I am a French national, and for us, it's US$30 and I always pay using this currency (if you don't have US dollars, you may still pay in Thai Baht, but their exchange rate is much worse for you than what you can get at any local bank). It's better to buy at any local bank the needed amount in US dollars beforehand.

I think just luck, or maybe just a mistake on the officers part. I'm not going back to give him the other 200 baht though, just in case you were wondering whistling.gif

No I wasn't wondering that.

what I was wondering about was the lady standing at the right.

Looked more like she was standing at a phone booth than a window. I see they are not to busy there.

the airport shuttle to Nong Khai and Friendship bridge is available to every flight at Udon not just Nok Air, and I agree that going back you get stung for at least 800 baht to get from the friendship bridge to Udon, add up the cab costs and flight costs and its hard to beat Lao Central direct flight to VTE from BKK airport for $92, and way less hassle getting thru immigration at VTE airport both ways

i think it was something about allowing too many laos citizens to live there. was ages ago when canada was very easy to get into .for everyone.

Lao and Canada have no relations and no embassy so the steeper price for visa

I think just luck, or maybe just a mistake on the officers part. I'm not going back to give him the other 200 baht though, just in case you were wondering whistling.gif

No I wasn't wondering that.

what I was wondering about was the lady standing at the right.

Looked more like she was standing at a phone booth than a window. I see they are not to busy there.

It wasn't that busy but maybe that's just luck. Donno.

If I see that lady again I'll ask her to explain herself. It's outrageous to hang about pretending to use a phone booth and confusing TV members. Terrible.

I wonder who I should complain to. coffee1.gif

The guy I was with that paid the 1500 baht was British, he got charged 1500 and I was charged 1300 ( I'm a British passport holder too ), weird eh? blink.png

Yes, that's weird indeed. Again if I am not mistaken, the regular visa fee for UK nationals is US$35. I have been told that passport holders from Canada have to pay a US$42 visa fee. Are you sure that the other guy showed a UK passport and not one from another country (he might have a dual citizenship, for instance)?

Or maybe you have been lucky if at the border that day, with their particular exchange rate, you should have actually paid 1500 baht for the equivalent of US$35.

At B1500 for $35, the rate would be 48 to 1, really a padded rate

The Vientiane Garden hotel then had me transported by Tuk Tuk to the Ventiane Star Hotel. This place is basic but clean, I'm in a three sleeper room with en suite fan and AC, flat screen TV, wifi and a decent breakfast for 400 baht per night.

My concern is that you're reduced to slumming it in 400 baht B&Bs, mate. Good luck.

The Vientiane Garden hotel then had me transported by Tuk Tuk to the Ventiane Star Hotel. This place is basic but clean, I'm in a three sleeper room with en suite fan and AC, flat screen TV, wifi and a decent breakfast for 400 baht per night.

My concern is that you're reduced to slumming it in 400 baht B&Bs, mate. Good luck.

Actually I made a mistake, it's 800 baht a night to sleep three, thanks for reminding me to correct that. wai.gif

For the real cheapskate at heart you can clear Lao immigration and take the local bus number 14. All newly donated by the loving Japanese Air con even. You walk out of immigration and head to the right. 6,000 Kip(about 25 Baht) and it will take you to the morning market. A great way to avoid the pushy jumbo drivers.

Oh, Lao visas are better paid in US dollars. 35 bucks for Americans. one dollar extra during overtime.

Take the 6:00AM flight from BKK and in Nongkai you rush to immigration, no ques at all smile.png In Vientiane I was the only passenger in the Nok Air affiliated minivan and I asked the driver to drop me off at my hotel, no problem for him. He was clearly happy with his 100b tip.

Great service from Nok Air.

Check also the 30% cheaper tickets from the new Lao Central Airlines.

Edited by rubberduck
  • Like 1

The cheap and relatively easy way to get from Vientiane City to Udon Thani Airport.

Thai Consulate Vientiane-->Vientiane Bus Station = 15,000 Kip (Tuk Tuk 10 minutes)

Vientiane Bus Station-->Udon Thani Bus Station = 22,000 Kip (Bus 2 hours)

Udon Thani Bus Station-->Udon Thani Airport = 100 Baht (Motorcycle Taxi 10 minutes).

FYI 100 Baht = 25,000 Kip approx.

• Like 1

The cheap and relatively easy way to get from Vientiane City to Udon Thani Airport.

Thai Consulate Vientiane-->Vientiane Bus Station = 15,000 Kip (Tuk Tuk 10 minutes)

Udon Thani Bus Station-->Udon Thani Airport = 100 Baht (Motorcycle Taxi 10 minutes).

I've got the double entry visa, if I go through the border on a local service bus what do I have to do? Disembark and go to immigration? Or does someone board the bus to check the passports?

I'm going on a wander through Isaan, I hear Nong Khai is decent, then I'm heading for Udon Thani and Khon Khaen. I'll be moving relatively quickly as I want to be in Ubon Ratchathani for the candle festival on Monday.

I don't mind the local buses but I think I'd prefer the Green Bus VIP service, does anyone know is it available down here?

I've got the double entry visa, if I go through the border on a local service bus what do I have to do? Disembark and go to immigration? Or does someone board the bus to check the passports?

Yes you disembark at immigration (with everyone else) which is right where the bus parks. The same bus will stay with you all the way and ensure that you are not left behind!

• Like 1

Took the bus today, 22,000 kip from Vientiane Bus Station to Udon Thani. All as described above, the bus waits on you and makes sure you are all back on board before moving.

10,000 kip required to exit the country. Or 45 baht, I gave 100 baht and got kip as change. sad.png Oh well, it was straightforward anyway.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

We've been through in March and May using US$. We drive to Nong Khai from Mahasarakham and park at the bus station. It's $35 for me as a Brit but I know it depends on nationality. I think it's $40 for US nationals and a bit less for some Europeans. I've never paid baht here as I got caught out a couple of years back going through Chong Mek to Pakse. It's not well organised there, or at least it wasn't then. It was 1500 baht then another 100 baht to get your passport back and I seem to remember the 100 baht was both ways.

Pakse is quite nice but the bus from Ubon to Pakse when we went was freezing. It's weird to see people with hats, coats and scarves in the Thai heat. Even the guy in front of me was well wrapped up and he was from Alaska.

hey guys thanks for the update. i didnt knew there are direct flights right now, im pretty sure they didnt have it about a year back

will be heading this monday, and see how it goes! im have yet book my return flight as im not certain in the returning date, my first time in laos. any idea if they accept baht for food and hotel over there? or should i just change to kips?

• Like 1