Getting over pneumonia

pinfold

Carried it for over a week,was in the USA when I contracted it,knew something was wrong ,but those US emergency room charges are astronomic,but could not get penicillin for love or money from pharmacy.

Got rid of it now but overall weakness still with me,was losing over 1Kg of weight a day at one stage,wanted to get shut of weight ,but not that way,just was eating anything to slow weight loss at the time.

This damned weakness just will not go away,is there anything to help?

As a matter of interest how do you know you are suffering from or have had "pneumonia" ?

Also "penicillin" would not be a first line choice of antibiotic to treat "pneumonia"

Perhaps you should consult a Doctor.

If you are in Thailand the cost will be very small compared to what is charged in the States

As a matter of interest how do you know you are suffering from or have had "pneumonia" ?

Also "penicillin" would not be a first line choice of antibiotic to treat "pneumonia"

Perhaps you should consult a Doctor.

If you are in Thailand the cost will be very small compared to what is charged in the States

Thanks for reply. Went to a Pattaya hospital initially after a couple of visits to GPs,then given heart attack on admittance fees for hospital here,flew to India next day,

All I know is on hospital admission there after x rays is long plastic tubes being taken out of sealed paper wraps and falling asleep for four hours,waking up to be told the initial drip I was placed on did not suffice at getting rid of type of pneumonia,and long syringe with a timer included into the drip.

Been for a blood test this morning,awaiting results.

Can only think of one thing that gave me whatever it was and those geysers in Yellowstone,they belch steam at certain times and getting more of a lungful of whatever nasties lay therein

Pleased to know your seeking medical advise !

Best wishes

....what would be the first drug used if suspected pneumonia?. Was told years ago I was a good host for chest infections,whether it was because swimming was my sport as a youth and developing expanded lungs or whatever,never smoked

Amoxcil, just read it on comp,have to get a supply in for emergencies

Edited by pinfold

It depends entirely on the type of pneumonia. It can be viral (in which case antibiotics won't help), bacterial (in which case the choice of antibiotic varies with the particular bacteria responsible), even fungal.

It is not something you can self treat, even if living where antibiotics are sold OTC.

Zinc supplementation has been shown helpful in preventing respiratory infections/reducing their severity. In Thailand there are a couple of preparations sold with zinc, one is Redoxan (Vitamin C + zinc), another is Berroca C, I think the Redoxan is a little cheaper. Might help as a preventive but if you again develop pneumonia or anything remotely like it see a doctor early on for proper treatment. If you are still in the Pattaya area, there are less expensive alternatives to the private hospitals there, e.g. Queen Sirikit Naval Hospital in Sattahip, or Phyathai Hosp in Sri Racha.

As for your current weakness, how long has it been since the pneumonia? While your description is a bit unclear it sounds like you may have been critically ill in which case it is to be expected that it will take time to get your strength back. Proper nutrition and enough rest are the best measures.

If there is any possibility you might have HIV, get tested. As untreated it can weaken the immune system and leave you vulnerable to severe infections. (The infection could have been acquired anytime over a period of years).

It depends entirely on the type of pneumonia. It can be viral (in which case antibiotics won't help), bacterial (in which case the choice of antibiotic varies with the particular bacteria responsible), even fungal.

It is not something you can self treat, even if living where antibiotics are sold OTC.

Zinc supplementation has been shown helpful in preventing respiratory infections/reducing their severity. In Thailand there are a couple of preparations sold with zinc, one is Redoxan (Vitamin C + zinc), another is Berroca C, I think the Redoxan is a little cheaper. Might help as a preventive but if you again develop pneumonia or anything remotely like it see a doctor early on for proper treatment. If you are still in the Pattaya area, there are less expensive alternatives to the private hospitals there, e.g. Queen Sirikit Naval Hospital in Sattahip, or Phyathai Hosp in Sri Racha.

As for your current weakness, how long has it been since the pneumonia? While your description is a bit unclear it sounds like you may have been critically ill in which case it is to be expected that it will take time to get your strength back. Proper nutrition and enough rest are the best measures.

If there is any possibility you might have HIV, get tested. As untreated it can weaken the immune system and leave you vulnerable to severe infections. (The infection could have been acquired anytime over a period of years).

Thanks Sheryl, No ,no HIV which is a wonder, got blood results back this afternoon,nothing amiss. Pneumonia,caught it 5 or 6 weeks ago I guess ,. Yes was ill,was fit for nothing at the end,virtually unconscious, high fever,fainting too,just remember all I wanted was sleep,dragging myself around,should have got myself on a direct 'plane back to the UK.

Yes take plenty of bed rest,I'm exhausted come early evening ,just want previous energy levels back,somebody mentioned a steroid injection,what you think?

Thanks Sheryl, No ,no HIV which is a wonder, got blood results back this afternoon,nothing amiss. Pneumonia,caught it 5 or 6 weeks ago I guess ,. Yes was ill,was fit for nothing at the end,virtually unconscious, high fever,fainting too,just remember all I wanted was sleep,dragging myself around,should have got myself on a direct 'plane back to the UK.

Yes take plenty of bed rest,I'm exhausted come early evening ,just want previous energy levels back,somebody mentioned a steroid injection,what you think?

Definitely not,will further suppress your immune system. No reputable doctor would administer this in such a situation.

Have you had a recent blood count? Not knowing what type of pneumonia you had nor what drugs were given makes it very hard to say but there are some medications which can suppress the bone marrow (causing among other things anemia) . The same can happen as a sequel to septicemia and for all we know your pneumonia may have proceeded to that by the time it was treated. So do get a complete blood count if you have not recently had one.

If that comes back normal -- and IF there are no signs of a continuing lung infection -- then tincture of time along with a healthy diet and lots of csleep are your best allies.

Definitely not,will further suppress your immune system. No reputable doctor would administer this in such a situation.

Have you had a recent blood count? Not knowing what type of pneumonia you had nor what drugs were given makes it very hard to say but there are some medications which can suppress the bone marrow (causing among other things anemia) . The same can happen as a sequel to septicemia and for all we know your pneumonia may have proceeded to that by the time it was treated. So do get a complete blood count if you have not recently had one.

If that comes back normal -- and IF there are no signs of a continuing lung infection -- then tincture of time along with a healthy diet and lots of csleep are your best allies.

Its just getting someone to sleep with me now Sheryl

• 2 weeks later...

Then you must be feeling better!!

One step forward,two steps back,still feeling the effects though. Spoke to foreign doctor recently ,he did state it will take around six or so weeks to make recovery.

Why the two GP's I initially visited did not take sample from back of throat to get it analysed to determine the type of pneumonia?,it would have saved unnecessary suffering for sure.

Better armed, if and when I get another bout