Rangsit University apologises for 'naked' beachside hazing

webfact

I will stop complaining about this and stop finding it "strange" ( to say the least), the moment someone can tell me, what ridiculing and humiliation has to do with life at a university and why freshman- students have "obey" senior- students with rituals like thin and much, much worse ones!

There's actually a lot of research that shows that difficult entry to an organisation enhances later attachment to that organisation as well as bonds among those who have shared that difficult experience. It's partially why boot camps, police academies, and initiation rites (etc etc) are not designed to be a 'walk in a park' ... once people have made it past the challenging entry requirements, there's greater internal social cohesion and a deeper feeling of membership. So fraternities, faculties, and university residences are merely drawing on this long known effect. I experienced a severe week-long hazing in my university residence (that was run much like a fraternity) more than 30 years ago, and some of my closest friends today are the people I first 'suffered' with during that week ... we're spread all over but still keep in weekly contact by email.

Thailand's finest.

You keep doing it lads, and in 10 years scratch your heads trying to figure why Thailand is at the bottom of the ASEAN ladder.

cheesy.gif You must have lived a sheltered life. Never heard of university hazings. Or high school hazings for that matter. Didn't make it that far?cheesy.gif

I will stop complaining about this and stop finding it "strange" ( to say the least), the moment someone can tell me, what ridiculing and humiliation has to do with life at a university and why freshman- students have "obey" senior- students with rituals like thin and much, much worse ones!

There's actually a lot of research that shows that difficult entry to an organisation enhances later attachment to that organisation as well as bonds among those who have shared that difficult experience. It's partially why boot camps, police academies, and initiation rites (etc etc) are not designed to be a 'walk in a park' ... once people have made it past the challenging entry requirements, there's greater internal social cohesion and a deeper feeling of membership. So fraternities, faculties, and university residences are merely drawing on this long known effect. I experienced a severe week-long hazing in my university residence (that was run much like a fraternity) more than 30 years ago, and some of my closest friends today are the people I first 'suffered' with during that week ... we're spread all over but still keep in weekly contact by email.

I think that refers to difficult academic qualifications for entry.....

Thailand's finest.

You keep doing it lads, and in 10 years scratch your heads trying to figure why Thailand is at the bottom of the ASEAN ladder.

cheesy.gif You must have lived a sheltered life. Never heard of university hazings. Or high school hazings for that matter. Didn't make it that far?cheesy.gif

I didn't make it that far, but went on to better things later. singer--class 1 football referee--taxi business--government officer--retired early 32 years Thai experience --lived here 15 years. so is uni that important ????. I did know of the so called rituals when first entering uni----but who cares --- I personally feel this ROMP on the beach is fine--for a laugh as no one is hurt.

As for comments about disgusting and mens bodies are revolting ---get a life-

• Like 1

This is a pic all HR Managers in Thailand should download and keep. Could come in handy in the next few years when applications start to drop in. Could be used as a real "ice breaker" if the conversations goes stale.

Thailand's finest.

Isn't this silliness an AMERICAN import? Doesn't seem to have affected their um, standing in the entire world whistling.gif

Throw the book at them. Nothing more disgusting than the sight of a naked man especially in public. Don't they have any females they could use please.

They're certainly more aesthetically pleasing than the majority of flabby white examples of farang men littering my local beach.

You realize, that you are talking about "going to the same school" and not an expedition to conquer Mt. Everest, just in your underwear, don't you?! These people don't need to rely on each other, because they LEARN together and don't go to war!

• Like 1

Typical behaviour of engineering students. Although, I'm impressed as there is no alcohol in the picture, and none of them are vomiting. It's a fact. that civil engineering students drink a lot and have the highest vomit per student production on campus. They also have the worst skin, and are sexually frustrated for their entire time of undergraduate studies. Mechanical and chemical engineers are usually cool. They also can do amazing pranks. They have good skin and do not vomit as frequently as the civvies.

Science faculty freshies never engaged in such activity. There was the ultimate Frisbee drinking challenge to compete in. whistling.gif

Anyway, what's the biggie? A bunch of adolescents engaged in homoerotic activity. It happens.

Wow - someone whose carried out detailed research on the antics of different faculty student's behaviour! Was this an international study or just Thailand? How many Unis and faculties? Has your research been peer reviewed or published? Did you collect qualitative or quantitative data and via which methodology?

Or there again, is it just your opinion based on no particular facts?

family of the senior girl in the picture so proud of her.....me daughter go to university and do this...

Well done that man. Perhaps you could sit down with your daughter at some stage in practice on your English.

Perhaps you could read the forum rules. The part about not correcting the English of non native Engish speaker might be interesting.

"in practice on your English". Well, you obviously practice what you preach.whistling.gif

Ah..absolute garbage. University is supposed to be a place where you have entered the adult world and you grow up. Such ritual hazings may make sense in high school where you are always around the same people all day long, every day, but once at university everything, and everyone changes. When I entered university I had to talk to people around me in order to make connections, although nobody gave a crap about anyone who preferred not to engage with their fellow students. Everyone studies in different classes, there are no uniforms (except at Thai universities!) and you have to take responsibility for your own actions. Also, when do junior students ever make contact with senior students? When I was at university, my best intentions for meeting senior students were in vain, they studied in different classes to me and for the most part I didn't even know them, because I never saw them! The only senior students I ever met were two guys who ran our labs, but it turns out that those guys weren't senior students studying Bachelor's but Master's students.

Maybe Thai universities are only an extension of high school with this babyish behavior, but back home, once we go to uni we grow up! And BTW, I continue to have numerous good friends from university, who I haven't seen for a while. None of us went through these rituals and we're all decent people.

• Like 1

family of the senior girl in the picture so proud of her.....me daughter go to university and do this...

Well done that man. Perhaps you could sit down with your daughter at some stage in practice on your English.

Perhaps you could read the forum rules. The part about not correcting the English of non native Engish speaker might be interesting.

"in practice on your English". Well, you obviously practice what you preach.whistling.gif

I agree, "Considered Opinion" is wrong, Farangdam is a native English Speaker writing perfect English, albeit Jamaican English as you can see: "me daughter go to university and do this..." If you look on your computer there are many choices in Microsoft Word for the English Language spoken by various countries apart from US English and British English.

Surely they need only one hand to cover their privates?

Even if you only need one hand, you should use two.

HAVE SOME PRIDE! whistling.gif

PS

This type of thing happens at every university, every year from the beginning of time. (yes, i am that old!blink.png )

The difference now days is Facebook.

+1

Even if you only need one hand, you should use two.

HAVE SOME PRIDE! whistling.gif

PS

This type of thing happens at every university, every year from the beginning of time. (yes, i am that old!blink.png )

The difference now days is Facebook.

Burger King (Known as "Hungry Jacks" in Australia used to have a slogan, "it takes TWO hands to handle a WHOPPER."

• Like 1

Much ado about nothing. If the university feels the need to apologize, it should be to the boys who were pranked for hazing, not for them being naked at the beach. I saw much worse / better when I was at university. It's a normal part of being young and stupid.

"forcing the freshmen into series of humiliating activities"

So why are they all smiling? cheesy.gif

Most people would see this as being a non event. (hardly worthy of a hazing activity)

I am sure in other Unis around the world they get up to some nasty stuff, then that might be an issue.

See this for "REAL" hazing stories: http://www.complex.com/city-guide/2012/04/10-horrible-tales-of-college-hazing

facepalm.gif.pagespeed.ce.EuN79TyYk_.gif

Blurred Picture.

When I was running the News Department of a TV Network in Australia, we frequently had to "blurr" faces and other parts for Legal reasons and to avoid offending some viewers. However, if you SQUINT (look at the picture with half-closed eyes) you can sometimes make out the features a little better. The Picture posted with this story has been very well blurred but squint at it and you'll get the general idea.

Aside from that, whilst I would discourage my daughter from taking part in this kind of activity, I have to admit that what these kids did is not exactly the "Crime of The Year" and if you look at some of the stupid things that are reported out of American instututions, we should be very glad we live in Thailand.

I guess you missed the topic where thais are growing them bigger these days (52mm)smile.png

Because they are counting all of the half-farangs.

Edited by KuhnPaen