Driving To Mae Sai

Maejo Man

I will be driving to Mai Sai on sunday morning and returning sunday evening. Is there anybody that needs do a visa run, and would like a free trip? I have to pick up some stuff in Mae Sai before Songkhran sets in.

PM me if interested...MM

• 5 months later...

what's the procedure if you want to cross over to myanmar and you have a single entry non-imm B?

i've heard talk of leaving your passport with the immigration officers at the border, but am thinking it might be a better decision go to the immigration office at the airport and pay 1000 baht for an exit/enter stamp. any insight/experience would be helpful.

btw, IYO is mae sai 'worth it'? some people i know rave about it, but all i can gather is that it's a huge market.

quote"

btw, IYO is mae sai 'worth it'? some people i know rave about it, but all i can gather is that it's a huge market.

It is true that there are many stalls...also many duplications.ie different stall, same stuff...there are bargains to be found there................but a word of warning.....NEVER buy cigarettes from the folk who carry them on a little tray hanging from their neck....the ciggies are almost unsmokeable....

what's the procedure if you want to cross over to myanmar and you have a single entry non-imm B?

i've heard talk of leaving your passport with the immigration officers at the border, but am thinking it might be a better decision go to the immigration office at the airport and pay 1000 baht for an exit/enter stamp. any insight/experience would be helpful.

Not a problem UCS. You would only have to leave your passport at Myanmar immigration if you intend going into Tatchilek to do shopping or look around. On your return, you just present your receipt and they hand you your passport.

You could of course just turn straight round after getting your passport stamped, and re enter Thailand, as a lot do.

I doubt very much if Chiangmai will give you an exit/entry stamp as you are not leaving the country. All you can do is pay 1900 baht for an extension, and it's very doubtful if they will give you a 90 day extension which you would get from actually leaving the kingdom.

Personally I like Mae Sai

quote"

It is true that there are many stalls...also many duplications.ie different stall, same stuff...there are bargains to be found there................but a word of warning.....NEVER buy cigarettes from the folk who carry them on a little tray hanging from their neck....the ciggies are almost unsmokeable....

That is certainly correct. Even though they have Marlboro etc., on the outside of the carton they are certainly not that brand or any other recognised brand either. :o

Edited by john b good