webfact

• Replies 176
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Prejudices block to see what is what.

Bangkok is a wonderful city, if you know where to go and know where not to go.

As farang (Expats included) you need an instructed guide to have a homeplay to discover the

multitude of good places where you forget to be in Bangkok.

Foreign correspondents of international newspapers confirm this.

Excellent shopping, restaurants, infrastructure (subway/skytrain), airport, CBD, it's all there and much of it is very good quality.

You can harp on about the skytrain and mrt as much as you like but the fact remains that the cities roads grind to a gridlocked halt at least two times daily.

a bit like any other city in the World then...

No, not really. Bangkok is notorious for its horrific traffic problems and with the exception of Jakarta, Manila and Sao Paulo far worse than the majority of cities I have been too.

• Like 1

The Us have a mania for (manipulated and many times nonsense) superlatives and comparisons - the biggest, the smallest, the highest, the nicest, the funniest, the fastest, the quickest, the best .... you name it. This includes things, modi, events ... you cannot compare objectively.

From there it is spreading all over the world and favoured by the "high quality" press to fill the pages in its newspapers.

BTW, terror mania, but this belongs to another thread.

Edited by puck2
  • Like 1

I think Pyongyang is number 2.

Seriously, I love Bangkok - the food, the nightlife, the shopping [not very cheap anymore]. the atmosphere and so many interesting things to do and see. BUT it is by no means the best city. The pollution, the traffic jams, the rubbish and filth everywhere, the price of entry to some places 10 times that for the locals, the corruption at every level quickly cancels out the good bits.

• Like 2

Don't you know how journalism works? The writers get so many free meals, hotel rooms, expenses paid to write good stuff. And since it is Bangkok they are writing about the are probably getting heaps under the table for pushing Bangkok up there.

congratulation for the achievement.. bkk deserved it..however this achievement is supported by "unquality tourist" which are not welcome and forgoten this days which is enjoying, explore, good photograph and nice post on facebook which attract other to explore bkk hence LOS

I think Bangkok is a fantastic city, probably my favorite.

And no, I do not frequent the "pay for play female scene" nor do I think that BKK is particularly cheap (not anymore).

I love the cinemas, the book stores, the food, the shopping, the BTS......

But of course, the usual Thai bashers will be along shortlysmile.png

How right you are/were.. Thai bashers out of bed with nothing better to do. Does make one wonder why they choose to stay if it's so bad?

If you were referring to the Blether, he was only talking about Bangkok, and I see where he is coming from. Yes, like other cities in the world, Bangkok has bad traffic Jams, but most visitors to any city do a lot of walking, and for that Bangkok is dreadful, the state of the sidewalks have already been mentioned, but what about the motorbikes riding along the sidewalks? On my first ever night in Bangkok, I was walking with my then girlfriend, her sister, and her sisters 7 year old daughter, about 4 motorbikes came riding along the sidewalk where we were walking, I made a grab at one of them and my then GK pulled me off screaming "NO NO". Until Bangkok stop this nonsense it can never be anywhere near the top cities in the world. I have been in Los Angeles, Montreal, Paris, London etc, and never seen behavior like that.

I really wonder who vote on these polls..as they cant be anything like myself.

Guess they stay in their hotels and just look out of the windows, get a massage in the room and like all the Kao Towing by waiters etc in the Hotel.

I would not even put BKK in the top 50 of the WORLDS best Citys..its a dirty, polluted, corrupt ridden, cess pool ….but you can get laid easy and anywhere by whatever fetish you have (oh I get it now that’s why it’s the best City????)

• Like 2

General safety

Do we really need to say anything here? Roads, walkways with motor vehicles on them, police force which is complicit with crime, lack of hygiene, ect. World class cities are those where non locals and locals alike feel generally safe from these things.

Apart from the other topics, I don't know any other big city in the world where I feel safe as in Bangkok, not nearly. And I know that all my friends in Bangkok see it the same way.

I fully understand, why bangkok is No 1. Go to european or australian cities and try to find decent food after midnight, almost impossible. Cities are like dead after midnight, with few exceptions.

Bangkok has very good international food and the prices are still fair in most of theose places. Bangkok has a lot of nice bars and clubs ( and I'm not talking about the redlight districts ), it has markets all over, fresh fruits, fingerfood, drinks on every corner so far.

Yes, Hongkong for example has a beautiful scenery, but that's basically all Hongkong has to offer. Singapore has nothing to offer, apart from very overprized costs of living. For me the most boring city in the world.

Ok, I never been to Tokyo and Seoul, can't compare with this cities, but after all, Bangkok is No. 1 in the world for many good reasons.

• Like 2

Personally I find Bangkok a bit scary with it's poor workmanship, design and over crowdedness but I'm not much of a city person anyway although I do always enjoy my short visits for the variety of places to stay, cuisine and markets, I can speak Thai pretty well and I have no problems when requesting the taxi drivers to drive at a slower speed as speeding and swerving in and out of traffic really does scare me and of course always giving them a small tip for their understanding, over the years I see so many Thai Bangkok residents coming out to the country to buy land and housing and they say Bangkok just has too many problems now and only getting worse.

Congratulations Bangkok! I feel quite chuffed to be a resident in the best city in the world.

I live here because I love it, and I love it so I live here.

Sure, there's bad elements and frustrations like anywhere. But I believe it's the people who make a city what it is, and I don't think you would find another city on earth the size of bkk which has as much friendliness in abundance.

• Like 1

BKK is a dump. There is no surer sign of a meretricious place than receiving a travel industry award.

But if folks there are happy, why, in most instances, argue with happiness? Enjoy for now because Bangkok is on something actually called 'Bangkok clay', never a good idea. Between sinking by sea and the river flooding caused by deforestation, Bangkok has a Double Whammy on the way. Urbem venalem et mature periturem si emptorem invenerit And All That.

• Like 2

I really wonder who vote on these polls..as they cant be anything like myself.

Guess they stay in their hotels and just look out of the windows, get a massage in the room and like all the Kao Towing by waiters etc in the Hotel.

I would not even put BKK in the top 50 of the WORLDS best Citys..its a dirty, polluted, corrupt ridden, cess pool ….but you can get laid easy and anywhere by whatever fetish you have (oh I get it now that’s why it’s the best City????)

Remember the saying, 'familiarity breeds contempt'. You know where they swept the dirt under the carpet and hid their used gum under the table.

Don't you know how journalism works? The writers get so many free meals, hotel rooms, expenses paid to write good stuff. And since it is Bangkok they are writing about the are probably getting heaps under the table for pushing Bangkok up there.

The readership did all the voting and they are the wealthy class who travel the World and can't be bought. Have you ever seen a copy of Travel+Leisure magazine? All the ads are from high class/expensive shops, hotels, etc. If the writers are responsible for getting all these people to vote for Bangkok, they deserve to win he Pulitzer Prize. BTW don't other countries offer special deals to travel writers or just Thailand?

• Like 1

This magazine must be owned by Thais. Every year?

It's actually owned by American Express.

Anyway, well done to Bangkok for winning this award again. Nice to see Thailand getting some good international press just now.

Edit

Forgot to mention even more well done to my own adopted home town, Chiang Mai for making the Top Ten!

Edited by bigbamboo
  • Like 2

My client base are Travel+Leisure types. They stay at the Oriental, Peninsula or other 5 star hotels. They never walk on the broken sidewalks or have to go around vendors, take taxis or even the skytrain. The have chauffeured cars to drop them off in front of the Grand Palace and a guide while there. Their hotel was smart enough to schedule their trip so they wouldn't get stuck in traffic. They shop at the Emporium and Gaysorn, and Siam Paragon. The visit world class spas, They eat at the best roof top restaurants and they have a picture postcard view of he city. They are totally insulated/isolated from the unsavory elements of he city. The sights they see, Grand Palace, Wat Po, Golden Mount, China Town, River Cruises, etcetera are unique in the World as the Eiffel Tower or London Bridge. The staff that they are exposed to represent some of the friendliest and most courteous people on Earth. If that is your experience, what's not to like.

p.s. the Bangkok I visit is completely different that that depicted above. I walk on the broken sidewalks, eat street food, take the BTS and MRT, shop at 7 and Big C, get cheap massage, go to Isaan nightclubs in Bangkok Noi, karaoke in Samut Prakarn, drive my motorcycle everywhere. I love Bangkok with its crowded street and sidewalks and vendors taking every free space. I don't mind the beggars, pollution, dirty buildings, oblivious locals obnoxious tourists, and mai pen rai attitude. Warts and all, I do love this city. No other place like it that I know of. I also have many friends in both high and low places to help with any eventuality.

Well it does have character and a certain uniqueness. But that does wear thin after a few......

Hours

• Like 1