World's Best City Award presented to Bangkok governor in New York

webfact

I think Bangkok is a fantastic city, probably my favorite.

And no, I do not frequent the "pay for play female scene" nor do I think that BKK is particularly cheap (not anymore).

I love the cinemas, the book stores, the food, the shopping, the BTS......

But of course, the usual Thai bashers will be along shortlysmile.png

How about mere BKK bashers? will that please you? There's more to see and do within one square mile of London than the entirety of Bangkok. That's never mind the superb city of Sydney.

BKK is a concrete jungle, a horrible place that's lost it's soul.

What might help explain this phenomenal phenomena could be one, the quality and/ or experience of the people who can afford to travel these days and

two, if it included whether it was a great place to visit for a short time or to live in.

One thing for sure is, the exceptional manners and friendliness of people here. One pure Thai national friend of mine describes his countrymen and women as born servants, which is pretty cynical, but he said it, I would not have.

You have to admit. They're probably the best in the world. It makes even a mediocre event or venue better when the people serving you are sooooo polite.

I have only found the equal in Bali.

I agree with the blether on this occasion, but for parts of Sydney, which judging by what people are prepared to pay to live there, is way out in front, and no wonder why.

• Replies 176
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Infrastructure

Bangkok has terrible infrastructure.

The Skytrain and MRT goes to only extremely limited number of places. In the original plans, there were supposed to be 12 lines on the skytrain by now - not 2. Pathetic.

The roads are terrible for driving, with horrific design (u turns in the middle of high speed highways) and are dangerous as nearly anywhere else in the world.

Obviously never been to Jakarta!

Bangkok is just fine.

Traffic? Yes can be frustrating but leaving enough time for the journey is key, and plan the route. The adage "never plan to do more than one thing a day", still holds true.

I'm going to Bang Kruay this afternoon and do not expect to be delayed significantly as I will be travelling on the expressway and over the new Phra Nang Klao bridge.

Walking is OK, if as you say, one takes into account the heat.

• Like 1

Bangkok has a world-class airport and that airport allows me to easily travel to many world class cities in the region.

I really like the airport too, ok over the past 10 years I've had to wait in the line for an hour or so on entry and exit when over crowded but most of the time I find it pretty fast and pleasant, plenty of nice food, shops, chairs, lounges, smoking rooms etc. and I've always found the staff very friendly and helpful :)

And no, I do not frequent the "pay for play female scene" nor do I think that BKK is particularly cheap (not anymore).

Oh yeah! The bashers will be all over this one. I believe that what we would find about most of them is that their comparative knowledge base is quite anemic when it comes to any first hand experience in cities around the world.wink.png

• Like 1

Excellent shopping, restaurants, infrastructure (subway/skytrain), airport, CBD, it's all there and much of it is very good quality.

You can harp on about the skytrain and mrt as much as you like but the fact remains that the cities roads grind to a gridlocked halt at least two times daily.

Is it your opinion that People come to Bangkok for the road conditions and nothing else.

Any big city in the world has its rush hour peaking times. Just pick the one you like the best and vote for it if you are taking part in the one magazines pole.

I liked this part

"He further promised to continue to gather feedback from tourists visiting the capital in order to further facilitate new influxes of visitors each year."

Facilitate not improve.

How about mere BKK bashers? will that please you? There's more to see and do within one square mile of London than the entirety of Bangkok. That's never mind the superb city of Sydney.

In a sense yes, but if you can appreciate good food and a large variety of restaurants (I don't mean street food stalls as I never go to those, but rather, good quality shopping mall restaurants or independent restaurants), good nightclubs, nice shopping malls which include some good book shops, Thai massage shops (not the ones that come with a happy ending!), markets such as Chatuchak and Chinatown then I think you'll find Bangkok to be a nice city. But I do agree that there isn't much else to do...especially if you head away from the tourist/expat areas and end up in a boring, ugly part of town like Bang Khae, which has two decent shopping malls (though nobody would ever go there especially for those 2 malls, because they don't stand out compared to other shopping malls elsewhere in the city) but which otherwise features one boring road full of ugly shophouses (Petchkasem road), with the skytrain being expanded along that road causing enormous traffic chaos for the next 4-10 years (they will never finish the project on time within 4 years)...no thanks. But Sukhumwit, Sathorn, Bang Na and a whole host of other areas of town are actually really nice.

• Like 1

Excellent shopping, restaurants, infrastructure (subway/skytrain), airport, CBD, it's all there and much of it is very good quality.

You can harp on about the skytrain and mrt as much as you like but the fact remains that the cities roads grind to a gridlocked halt at least two times daily.

Please note the users name that made that comment coffee1.gif

My Facebook feed was jammed last night with people complaining about gridlock in BKK. They're needing to quadruple the amount of train lines and double the cost of fuel to get all the cars off the road.

"The criteria used for the rankings were: tourist attractions; culture and customs; food hygiene and taste; and shopping availability; hospitality; monetary worthiness." Traffic jams. rolleyes.gif Yup! but you are xofftopic.gif.pagespeed.ic.ifZtFTWxj3.pn

Edited by techboy
  • Like 1

What might help explain this phenomenal phenomena could be one, the quality and/ or experience of the people who can afford to travel these days and

two, if it included whether it was a great place to visit for a short time or to live in.

One thing for sure is, the exceptional manners and friendliness of people here. One pure Thai national friend of mine describes his countrymen and women as born servants, which is pretty cynical, but he said it, I would not have.

You have to admit. They're probably the best in the world. It makes even a mediocre event or venue better when the people serving you are sooooo polite.

I have only found the equal in Bali.

I agree with the blether on this occasion, but for parts of Sydney, which judging by what people are prepared to pay to live there, is way out in front, and no wonder why.

Did all the Australians move out of Sidney?

I agree with the award. Bangkok is hospitable and cost resonable. Food is quite good and hotel accomdations are an excelletn value. Good place to come and relax.

Yeah, NYC, London, Tokyo, Seoul are more developed and offer vitually everything avaliable in BKK, except it's going to cost 2-3 more.

1) I am happy I don't live in BKK.

2) I am happy I don't live in any big city.

3) I would have been happier if I could visit for a month each year Florence, Venice, Paris, Rome, London, Madrid, Petersburg and I would be very happy

if I were allowed to by-pass on my trip N-Y, BKK, L.A. etc. I suppose there are things one loves or hates. No explanations.

But this is entirely personal feeling. Nobody gets any Awards from me. Good luck to BKK Governor... biggrin.png

BTW. "World's Best City" is a bit of a far-fetched Award.

From the point of cost of living - quite possible.

From the point of things to see - quite impossible.

From the point of Entertainment - quite impossible.

From the point of sex tourism - quite possible.

From the point of health and cleanliness - quite impossible.

How does a mixed bag like BKK make the World's Best City is totally incomprehensible to me.

On the other hand why not? Didn't it become the World Capital of Reading?

Edited by ABCer
  • Like 1

Please note the users name that made that comment coffee1.gif

My Facebook feed was jammed last night with people complaining about gridlock in BKK. They're needing to quadruple the amount of train lines and double the cost of fuel to get all the cars off the road.

If the traffic is so bad in Bangkok why is your facebook not jammed every night with complaints about it.

Try getting some friends on it that don't live in Bangkok and dump the Bangkok ones who just complain so much they jam the face book up.

Yeah. You tell 'em. What would all those travelers know, anyway?

Edited by HerbalEd

Yes, it does indeed. Thus, that's why the BTS and MRT are so great.

I bet I know why people liked Bangkok so much and it has nothing in common or to do with the reasons they like Istanbul or Florence.

1. Hospitality and particularly the hospitality of of the pay for play female scene and 2. Money going far

That's it really.

But, now I have to put up with Thais thinking Bangkok is world class city. coffee1.gif

And why do you think it is not?

It is far and away NOT the best city in the world. Claims that it is, are written by Thais for the brainwashing and edification of idiots. coffee1.gif

Are you saying that this magazine article was written by Thais? I can understand that many would not agree with this article but why is it that so many get so pissed off and emotional about it?

• Like 1

Bangkok is unique and has a lot to offer in many areas. The Thai bashers, and they are many here on TV, should just leave Thailand if they don't like it. I mean, if Thailand sucks as much as they say it does, and if everything is sooooooo bad here, why come here, why live here, why not just go back to your own crappy country....to quote the Stones, "in the sweet old country where I come from, nobody ever works, nothin' ever gets done"....just go back to where ever it is you came from and stay there. Thailand has it's issues, but so does every country. I like it. I'm tiring of the negativity on TV....

Infrastructure

Bangkok has terrible infrastructure.

The Skytrain and MRT goes to only extremely limited number of places. In the original plans, there were supposed to be 12 lines on the skytrain by now - not 2. Pathetic.

The roads are terrible for driving, with horrific design (u turns in the middle of high speed highways) and are dangerous as nearly anywhere else in the world.

Obviously never been to Jakarta!

Bangkok is just fine.

Traffic? Yes can be frustrating but leaving enough time for the journey is key, and plan the route. The adage "never plan to do more than one thing a day", still holds true.

I'm going to Bang Kruay this afternoon and do not expect to be delayed significantly as I will be travelling on the expressway and over the new Phra Nang Klao bridge.

Walking is OK, if as you say, one takes into account the heat.

Not so obviously as I travel there several times per year. Roads are better, traffic is worse. But, so what? Doesn't take away from what I wrote.

why is it that so many get so pissed off and emotional about it?

Good question. You like Bangkok. You don't like Bangkok. Who cares which it is? But I guess plenty on this forum, for whatever reason, just hate everything about Thais and Thailand to such a degree that the thought of other people liking anything Thai is unbearable and it certainly can't be the case that informed, intelligent people have an opinion which differs from theirs (hence the readership of the magazine are all whoremongers, or the editors were bribed, or Yingluck is using her Jedi mind control, etc. etc. etc.)

Bangkok, "World's best city".

Easy to say, but what does it really mean? This 'award' was made by a Travel & Leisure magazine and signifies that it is only "the best city" as far as tourists are concerned.

The world's most livable cities are listed here, 4 in Australia, 3 in Canada. All a matter of opinion of course.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/World%27s_most_livable_cities

Posters making what may seem to be negattive comments either live here or have, correctly, noticed many negative things about Bangkok.The city has a pathetic lack of greenspace and some of the worst traffic jams on earth..

It does have a fairly vibrant night life, some good restaurants and plenty of scenic concrete work.

But anyway it's nice for Thailand to be able to congratulate itself on something, since most of the news is, sadly, giving the country a bad name.

Just look at the forum topics for a list.

Livable city is far from city to holiday in.

I bet I know why people liked Bangkok so much and it has nothing in common or to do with the reasons they like Istanbul or Florence.

1. Hospitality and particularly the hospitality of of the pay for play female scene and 2. Money going far

That's it really.

But, now I have to put up with Thais thinking Bangkok is world class city. coffee1.gif.pagespeed.ce.Ymlsr09gMJ.gif alt=coffee1.gif width=32 height=24>

And why do you think it is not?

It is far and away NOT the best city in the world. Claims that it is, are written by Thais for the brainwashing and edification of idiots. coffee1.gif.pagespeed.ce.Ymlsr09gMJ.gif width=32 alt=coffee1.gif>

I believe that people rate it the best city to visit because it is a different culture. Some thing that has no relationship to where they come from. Remember this was a travel and leisure magazine poll not a settle down and never leave the city poll.

Never been there my self but I heard about a modern city in Brazil that was built in such a way as getting around it was no problem. Never see it on a list as desirable city to visit. Most travelers are intelligent and realize that traffic is going to be a problem where ever they go if it is a big city. As I said most obviously not all.wai2.gif

The cities may have wonderful rapid transportation systems but for the visitor he is not there long enough to learn there schedule and where they can and can not go. It is easier for them to take a tour or get a cab.

That is so unlike all the big cities other nations talk about.

I have a friend who told me in order to cross the highway in Cairo he had to get a cab.

• Like 1

Congratulations Bangkok! I feel quite chuffed to be a resident in the best city in the world.

I live here because I love it, and I love it so I live here.

Sure, there's bad elements and frustrations like anywhere. But I believe it's the people who make a city what it is, and I don't think you would find another city on earth the size of bkk which has as much friendliness in abundance.

I'd be interested to know what, other than the point you made, you love about Bangkok so much.

On the topic of friendliness, I'm not so sure I share the opinion, but I will say that, yes, Thais are generally alright enough. They certainly do tend to avoid confrontation (less aggressive) and put on the best face when meeting people and particularly strangers. The people are on average (both men and women) are decent and healthy looking which helps people's impression of them. They are slow (frustratingly so for many who live in Bangkok) which I'm sure is a nice change from most people from more modern places which have a much more rapid, hurried and even frenzied pace.

Not knocking Thais on general friendliness, but as Asians I can't say they are warm people in the way Western Europeans, Australians, North Americans, the Central and South Americans, Africans. They are more cold and keep to themselves outside of places where they are expected to be more outgoing. Disregarding the language issue which is big, how many times have you guys had Thais just catch up with you wherever you are in Bangkok especially and strike up an honest conversation with you? Happens to me in nearly all the non-Asian (not just non-Thai) countries I've been to with the exception of Kazhatstan (which is not really purely Asian anyway).

Personally, I find the friendliest and warmest people on Earth in the South American countries and Souther European countries.

If I had to classify the Asians by friendliness, I would say that that most of them who we take as friendly are actually polite and not necessarily friendly. I make a distinction.

You have raised some good points - even if you know Thai and know Thais well, if they are not used to being around foreigners by having lived abroad or due to being employed in companies with lots of foreigners etc., then you will find that while they are very polite, they usually don't go out of their way to meet up with you and talk to you at length about the sorts of things you would talk about with friends back home, nor do they send Christmas cards, New Year cards or call you for 1 hour conversations, even on Skype, which is free (they generally don't use Skype anyway). A Thai couple I used to be fairly close to usually talk about the same boring things over and over again in a depressing deja-vu kind of way as if they have some kind of early form of dementia (they are in their late 20s-early 30s), usually mixing in all sorts of racial stereotypes, you know, farang this, farang that. It's all starting to wear a little thin, but Thais who have spent time overseas are more open-minded, far more interesting and I have started to hang around those people instead.

Speaking of honest conversations, in Kolkata local men have come up to me on the street and spoken to me about cricket, the weather, and all sorts of other interesting things all with honest intentions. You are right that this would never happen in Bangkok - while the language barrier is an issue in most cases here even if it isn't always the case, there is a sort of uncomfortable barrier of sorts between locals and foreigners here and it doesn't matter where you are from, whether it's Vietnam, China, Japan, Europe, America, Australia...you'll struggle to fit in with most locals to the point of being close friends. More likely you'll be able to develop a good working relationship, but a personal one is more difficult to develop. Even neighbors in moo baans don't say hi to each other (or at most, just hi and nothing more), they would never invite each other over for dinner or hold a "street party" where all residents pooled together their resources to cook a grand feast like my grandad used to hold annually in his small cul-de-sac in Switzerland where everyone knows each other...it just doesn't happen here. When I first came over to Thailand I assumed that all Thais had lots of friends and would be holding parties and events with each other all the time and would invite every foreigner they saw walking on the street but I have found the exact opposite to be true - almost nobody entertains guests in their own homes here except for either weddings or funerals and people are actually very private who keep to themselves most of the time. Shopkeepers, children and the elderly will smile at you, perhaps even engage in a very basic conversation but you'll never get to know these people really intimately.

Many foreigners say that the Chinese are cold, particularly when compared with Thais. My impression is much different - the Chinese are like eastern Europeans. They might not appear very polite or friendly at first, but once you get to know them they will go out of their way to impress - they will take you places, show you around and invite you over for a meal inside their homes, and most of the time you don't even need to take off your shoes (even though I always do)! And they will generally pay everything for you, to further show their generosity. Even traveling around China I have found people, i.e. strangers to be most friendly, not just polite. And yes I don't mind all the pushing and shoving just to get on a bus or train, once you get past that aspect of China it can be a real fun place to travel around!

• Like 1

"The criteria used for the rankings were: tourist attractions; culture and customs; food hygiene and taste; and shopping availability; hospitality; monetary worthiness." Traffic jams. rolleyes.gif Yup! but you are xofftopic.gif.pagespeed.ic.ifZtFTWxj3.pn

If these are the only criterias for "World's Best City Award" then Thailand deserves the award for

"World's most intelligent ladies" facepalm.gif

Do you recognise the nonsense and the maniputaltion of such a so-called "poll" sad.png

• Like 1

And it's filled with cranky expats who feel threatened when they see their prejudices are questioned.

There is help at hand:

post-145917-0-45813700-1374301236_thumb.

Edited by Suradit69

The worlds "best" city? Best at what?The word best can be interpreted in many ways. You can be best at being terrible.The trouble is the Thais are brainwashed into believing positive things about their country and disbelieving negative things. Also,it is no good accusing Thai Visa contributers as being Thai bashers when all they are doing is giving constructive criticism that we can all learn from. After all America,Britain and the rest of the world are criticised at every opportunity, mercilessly.

Cities like London,New York,Paris,Rome,Barcelona etc.are streets ahead of Bangkok.They are in a different league.

When I asked tourists what Bangkok was like most would answer"three days-then out". The truth is every city is differentand this is a good thing.

I like the Bangkok Sky train, although it makes the streets below dark. Also there is an element of danger and business.Native people struggling to make a living at a market in a violent city. The sex trade with its horrible yet enjoyable characters. Their devotion to Budda.It all adds up to life in the raw.

Bangkok will never come near to being the "best" city in the world,but one thing is certain.....you will never,never be bored.

• Like 2

The worlds "best" city? Best at what?The word best can be interpreted in many ways. You can be best at being terrible.The trouble is the Thais are brainwashed into believing positive things about their country and disbelieving negative things. Also,it is no good accusing Thai Visa contributers as being Thai bashers when all they are doing is giving constructive criticism that we can all learn from. After all America,Britain and the rest of the world are criticised at every opportunity, mercilessly.

Cities like London,New York,Paris,Rome,Barcelona etc.are streets ahead of Bangkok.They are in a different league.

When I asked tourists what Bangkok was like most would answer"three days-then out". The truth is every city is differentand this is a good thing.

I like the Bangkok Sky train, although it makes the streets below dark. Also there is an element of danger and business.Native people struggling to make a living at a market in a violent city. The sex trade with its horrible yet enjoyable characters. Their devotion to Budda.It all adds up to life in the raw.

Bangkok will never come near to being the "best" city in the world,but one thing is certain.....you will never,never be bored.

World's Best City? and for 4 consecutive years?!

Travel & Leisure has become a travesty of a publication....maybe "SE Asia's Best City"....but then again, they and their readers probably have never been to KL.