Thai Court accepts case against ex-monk for violating girl under 13

webfact

Court accepts case against ex-monk for violating girl under 13
The Nation

BANGKOK: -- A woman believed to have mothered Wirapol Sukpol's child when she was under-age yesterday filed a complaint against the former monk, accusing him of statutory rape and restraining her freedom, and demanded Bt100 million in civil compensation from him.

Of the Bt100 million, Bt70 million is being demanded by the unnamed woman, who is now 26, and Bt30 million by her grandmother who took care of her and her son. The child allegedly fathered by Wirapol, aka Luang Pu Nenkham, is now 11 years old. Wirapol is now on the run in the US after being wanted for several offences, mostly involving fraud and embezzlement.

The statutory rape case filed by the woman cites sexual violation of a girl under 13, which carries heavier penalties than the case pursued by the Department of Special Investigation, in which Wirapol is accused of sexually violating a girl under 15.

The Ubon Ratchathani court has accepted the complaint and set a preliminary hearing on September 2. Somchart Wongtharathorn, the woman's lawyer, said he was awaiting a DNA-based maternity test to support the complaint, while the test on Wirapol had not yet been possible, as he has absconded and his parents were no cooperating.

Meanwhile, the provincial monastic office in Ubon Ratchathani has ruled that all monks residing in Wirapol's Wat Pa Khanti Dhamma monastery must leave before the Buddhist Lent begins on Tuesday.

Separately, the Anti Money-laundering Office said it had seized additionally Wirapol's assets worth more than Bt60 million, mostly vehicles and land plots believed to have been bought with money donated on charitable purposes.

The controversy surrounding the former monk has been covered extensively by Thai media, and foreign media like the Japan-based NHK and US-based CNN have also picked it up. The coverage by both the foreign networks is being translated into Thai and is being widely ridiculed on social media.

A local and special police task force in Ubon Ratchathani yesterday handed over a 668-page investigation report to the DSI, which has taken over the case. The DSI is planning to look into other possible wrongdoings of the former monk, such as soliciting money from donors in exchange for royal decorations, said Pol Colonel Prasobchocke Phrommool, a senior investigator in charge of the case.

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2013-07-20

While this may seem to be good news, remember that he can't be charged unless in Thailand to hear the charges read, and then can't be extradited to face those charges.

Of course, that could be changed with legislation, but given PTP's leader's current circumstances, I doubt that will happen.

• Like 2

While this may seem to be good news, remember that he can't be charged unless in Thailand to hear the charges read, and then can't be extradited to face those charges.

Of course, that could be changed with legislation, but given PTP's leader's current circumstances, I doubt that will happen.

Thanks for that as I'm not too well up in Thai law. In other jurisdictions he could be brought back to face charges and the fact of being wanted is enough providing there's evidence to support the charges that will be laid when the suspect appears in court.

If I were the mother, I'd have filed a suit against the monk for 70 million and another against the grandmother for 30 million, because it was the latter who willingly and deliberately farmed her granddaughter out to the monk. According to media reports the grandmother even complained that the monk never compensated her for pimping her granddaughter. Those comments alone not only show intent to commit a fellacy in exchange for financial gain, but also suggest that she was fully aware of the situation and proceeded nevertheless.

• Like 1

Lock the granny and the monk in the same cell and distribute his assets amongst all the piss poor but usually more genuine temples in rural Thailand that are trying to raise and educate kids that have been dumped on them…..is there no case being brought against the old hag…why not?

Edited by lemonjelly
  • Like 2

Granny wants 30M for taking care of her.She presented the child to be abused regularly by a thieving Kiddy fiddler.What kind of religious instruction for a 12 year old continues till 4am.(when the monk would return her to granny after he was done with her) Suffer little children to be born to such as these.

But just remember (and never forget) TIT

GREAT

but fat lot of good it will do since he is not in Thailand

So easy to lay on so many more charges

To bad the powers that e will not request he be brought back to face justice

Guess to many rich big names wold come out if he came back

GREAT

but fat lot of good it will do since he is not in Thailand

So easy to lay on so many more charges

To bad the powers that e will not request he be brought back to face justice

Guess to many rich big names wold come out if he came back

Despite allthe stupidity and incompetence we are so used to it's hard to think anything other that the DSI and a whole host of government departments haven't put the brakes on. If they stopped talking about seizing assets that are long done and playing pass the parcel over the passport issue this could be well on its way to being resolved.

I believe the US has been asked to cancel his visa but even if that happens the Americans can't direct where he goes next just simply tell him to go.

I'm not sure about the legal ramifications in the US, but if I was in charge, I would try every legal method to get him out of the US and hopefully back to Thailand, even if he cannot be formally charged until he is back on Thai soil.

I know this guy can be tried in the US for pedophilia as for this crime, the act does not have to be done on US soil, but it would be better for all hands if the guy was tried in Thailand.

• Like 2

granny, the pimp mamasam in the story wants money? she should get 30 years in prison in stead of 30 million

she might be confused a little bit

and thai fathers and paying alimony? are you kidding ?

that might set a precedent in court ...

I believe this would be a paternity suit where the mother and the accused would be submitted to an H.L.A. test; the most accurate type of testing currenlty, which cannot prove he is the father, but only proves he is not the father, if that makes sense. This comes from presonal experience over 30 years ago when I was hit with a paternity suit.

As far as the rape charges, I think she is over reaching it a bit as she has had a long time to think it over, and will find it difficult to explain to a judge why she waited so long, as the post-tramatic disorders of a rape victim usually make life intolerable in much less time than this.

In my opinion, however, I would be leaning a bit towards the suthenticity of what she is saying about the child being his, since Thais hold the Buddhist monks in such awe, and for your average Thai to accuse a monk falsely, the consequences of shame and ostracism, as well as her personal nearness to the precepts of buddhism do not make it seem practical for her to choose to pursue this unless there is some ounce of truth.

That dude is gone - he took his ill-gotten gains and is sunning himself on a beach in a non-extradition country. Will never be brought back here. Just smoke to distract from the rice scheme abortion.

True, who is to say he is still in the States. Most likely gone baby gone!

I'm not sure about the legal ramifications in the US, but if I was in charge, I would try every legal method to get him out of the US and hopefully back to Thailand, even if he cannot be formally charged until he is back on Thai soil.

I know this guy can be tried in the US for pedophilia as for this crime, the act does not have to be done on US soil, but it would be better for all hands if the guy was tried in Thailand.

AFAIK the oz legislation regarding paedophilia in foreign countries only applies to oz citizens, and I would be surprised if the US law is not the same.

On second thoughts, I remember an oz citizen who was arrested in an LA transit lounge on his way to Mexico where he had advanced purchased paedophile acts through an FBI sting.

Do you know for sure that US has laws covering acts of non-US citizens in foreign countries?

Under most extradition treaties what's necessary is, that a warrant issued by a competent court and sufficient proof is presented by the requesting authorities, showing that a crime has been committed according to the laws of the extraditing country. Whether the guy has heard the charges in a Thai court is not necessarily relevant.

The fact that an already convicted felon is wandering the face of the planet unencumbered, is testimony to the unwillingness of the current regime to apply the law equally to all its citizens (a.k.a. double standard), nothing more - nothing less.

• Like 2