What Was The Last Farang Meal You Made?

klubex99

Linguini pescatore made with shrimp, squid and mussles purchased yesterday at the local wednesday market. Made it this morning and had it for breakfast and will finish it tonight.

Edited by wayned

• Replies 249
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I made the greatest if not healthiest sandwich on the planet....

which is a Reuben sandwich.

It boggles my mind that these are not more popular around the world.

Are you in LOS? Where do you get corned beef like that? Can it be made from corning Thai beef?

I hadn't heard of a Reuben sandwich before. Looks delicious, I don't know if I agree with healthiest on the planet...lol

I tubed it.

It looks good but the bread doesn't seem right, I like to use a dark German rye because it's firmer. Also, and I think this is my big failing, I can't get the cheese right, I've tried, gruyere, swiss, ementhal but it still seems wrong, any pointers please?

It was invented in the USA so we just normally use 'Swiss cheese'. Emmental probably melts easier than Gruyere as it is a bit softer, I don't have a preference. Provolone is also sometimes used. If you can't get pastrami you can use ham and this is called a Rachel. Although not quite as good it is still acceptably tasty but don't skimp on good Rye bread.

Darker bread does seem to sear shut easier than lighter breads do. Taste is about the same but texture is what you go for here, also a bread that toasts easily makes the sandwich easier to flip.

I am bored so to make a Reuben i will share my thoughts here now.

Whatever ingredients are available will change the taste but whatever you have is fine as the process is the same.

Take your bread and put two slices of butter on one side. Make sure the slices are big enough to coat the whole piece of bread.

While you slowly heat a frying pan, microwave the pastrami until it is just room temperature. After this put the sauerkraut as much as you want to, in a bowl and use a fork to squeeze the excess liquid out and drain it. I generally also microwave the Kraut at the same time as the pastrami just to remove any moisture and make it warm. 30 seconds to a minute should do the meat and kraut. the juice from the kraut will also drip into the meat of the kraut is heated on top of it.

Take the slice of bread and put it butter side down in the frying pan on a medium heat. Put the thinly sliced cheese pieces (you can use as much cheese as you want so slice it thin and as each piece melts add more) on top and cover with a lid. Let the cheese start to melt partially. When this is happening make sure you don't see smoke too much from burning butter. This means you will burn the bread before the cheese and other ingredients are hot. That is the only difficult thing about Reubens.

Once the cheese starts to melt add the pastrami cover again with the lid. By this time you will see the cheese start to bubble, at this point you take the other slice of bread and put it on top and flip it so the butter said will land on the face of the pan. You can use as much meat as you want if it is warmed ahead of time otherwise you will burn the bread and have cold meat inside.

This side will smoke as the pan is much hotter so it will take half the time to toast the bread as the first side did. The last step is to take the sandwich off the pan and open it to put on the kraut and thousand island dressing. The kraut won't need heating as it is already warm from the microwave earlier. Cut the sandwich in half and garnish with a pickle.

I am going on a bit here but the key to a good Reuben in my opinion is making sure everything is warm and nothing is burned or mushy. I have made these all over the world and everybody has liked them. Depending upon your local ingredients YMMV.

Enjoy

It goes well with a pint of Guinness.

I tried this again two nights ago and got the closest yet to perfection, found some good quality pastrami at the Rimping supermarket and had it sliced very thin and used two slices of havarti cheese, one on the the top and one on the bottom - a jar of decent German saurkraut and some ranch dressing - I've got to keep trying different types of bread because the bavarian rye didn't work real well, despite that it was an awesome culinary feast for someone who's on a restricted carb diet - I had to spend half an hour on the running machine afterwards to burn it all off but it was well worth it let me tell you.

What is needed for this thread is a sticky at the beginning of the Western food in Thailand that people can post recipes and photos onto and then everyone who is interested can share around.

Welcome to Thai Visa, please feel free to look around.....whistling.gif

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/forum/83-western-food-in-thailand/

coffee1.gif

Been here nearly 10 years and still haven't found a single simple place where all recipes etc are together without ploughing through 78 pages, 2,324 topics and 31,558 replies.

I am delighted to find that lots of folks have discovered the local pork loin which is good for a lot of falang dishes...when I got a good mustard available just slather, wrap in foil and toss in the oven for 45 mins...mix the drippin' with cream if available for a nice sauce...

I always make pork ribs when at home; marinate in the fridge overnight in any available bottled steak sauce then cook in oven 1 hour on high and then turn down to half for 1 hour...always a big hit...

ah's gwine t'buy another meat grinder soon so I can again make meatloaf, bolognaise and other falang ground beef delicacies...the cutting blade got lost on the one I got and I've spent the last 5 years lookin' fer it...

we often buy big bags of frozen french fries when we do a big grocery shop and the step-daughter and the kids like to hook 'em down with plenty of catsup...when I indicate the falang provenance of the fries to the step daughter who makes a 'big deal' out of not liking falang food she snorts and sez: 'they are not falang food, we just bought them at lotac...'

Edited by tutsiwarrior

I grated a potato skin and all, chopped up an onion and 5 or 6 garlic cloves along with a bit of moo yaw which is a sort of Thai spam which I chopped into cubes.

Chucked the whole lot in the frying pan along with some black pepper and worcester sauce and turned it every few minutes until the potato got brown and scrunchy.

It tasted great.

My quick and dirty corned beef hash is not much different:

dice a potato, skin and all and saute in a pan until brown, add half a can of corned beef and mix together and serve, makes a nice change from mesuili for breakfast from time to time.

Thinking about it there's a number of English favorites that I used to make years ago which Mrs CM now makes, over time the recipies have changed to where they now bear little resemblance tot he original - the shepherds pie is now made from pork and cauliflour with a liberal dollop of brown mustard mixed in with the meat, I'm not sure I could happily revert to the original any longer since I like the current product so much, strange.

• Like 1

Ain't there a cooking forum for all you bloody women.

This us Thailand, no real man cooks and shares recipes on forums with other men.

It gives them a break from doing the cleaning, washing up and other domestic chores.

• Like 1

This us Thailand, no real man cooks and shares recipes on forums with other men.

It gives them a break from doing the cleaning, washing up and other domestic chores.

Well, we can't spend all our time talking about the good ole days in MACV-SOG while we advised Westmoreland every other Tuesday and were occasionally loaned out for mercenary duty in the Congo.

• Like 1

Well, we can't spend all our time talking about the good ole days in MACV-SOG while we advised Westmoreland every other Tuesday and were occasionally loaned out for mercenary duty in the Congo.

It would help if you replied in English. What is MACV-SOG , and how do you advise a county?.

It would help if you replied in English. What is MACV-SOG , and how do you advise a county?.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Military_Assistance_Command,_Vietnam_%E2%80%93_Studies_and_Observations_Group

Irish stew in a slow cooker, cooking now and smells wonderful....

I wish, I had a slow cooker.

Cooking "Viennese goulash" now.

Might be around 6-7 kg all together. (Are there slow cooker available with this size?)

As a replacement, I am using a decent 10l pot and an electric table-barbecue as a "stove".

Our Gas oven is far too hot, even at the lowest level.

Black squid ink fettuccine (from Makro) with garlic, olive oil, anchovies and finely chopped broccoli. Seasoned with oregano and basil that we grow in pots on the roof.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Nice, but unfortunately:

PLUGGING THIS PRODUCT INTO AN OUTLET WITH VOLTAGE IN EXCESS OF 110-120 VOLTS MAY RESULT IN FIRE AND/OR INJURY.

I will look, if I can find a similar one in Germany/UK, so friends can send it to me.

Edited by roban

Real men can cook and look after themselves without any problem and of course Johnniey are you suggesting that if the posters on this thread are not real men, then why are you posting here?

Real men can cook and look after themselves without any problem and of course Johnniey are you suggesting that if the posters on this thread are not real men, then why are you posting here?

• Like 1

Nice, but unfortunately:

PLUGGING THIS PRODUCT INTO AN OUTLET WITH VOLTAGE IN EXCESS OF 110-120 VOLTS MAY RESULT IN FIRE AND/OR INJURY.

I will look, if I can find a similar one in Germany/UK, so friends can send it to me.

Step down transformers are available if you can't find one that operates on 220vac, about 400 baht. Or try this website: http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=sr_pg_2/277-9839868-9585409?rh=n%3A11052681%2Cn%3A!3147411%2Cn%3A391784011%2Cn%3A3147441%2Cn%3A3147641&page=2&ie=UTF8&qid=1374991865

Edited by wayned

hahaha +1000 clap2.gif

Last night's dinner

Linguine with creamy pesto sauce topped with roasted portobello mushrooms

Cheese and spinach ravioli bake - with bolognaise sauce (for the kids)

Garlic/herb baguette

Salad of micro greens, cherry tomatos and buffalo mozzarella with a simple drizzle of caramelised balsamic vinegar (homemade in Daylesford, Victoria (Australia) and some extra virgin olive oil

Washed down with a red from Gigondas

last nights dinner

Starter - seafood bisque with crispy croutons

Main (Adults)- seafood rissotto with NZ mussells, shrimps and squid with a mixed salad

Mains (Kids) beef patty sliders, crinkle cut chips

Finished off with no-bake lemon cheesecake (kids made that)

washed down with a crispy Australian Chardonnay

Unfortunately the kitchen smelled like a fishmongers house after hours of reducing the fish stock down for the bisque and the rissotto - still, I think it was worth it. Bon Apetit!

last nights dinner

Starter - seafood bisque with crispy croutons

Main (Adults)- seafood rissotto with NZ mussells, shrimps and squid with a mixed salad

Mains (Kids) beef patty sliders, crinkle cut chips

Finished off with no-bake lemon cheesecake (kids made that)

washed down with a crispy Australian Chardonnay

Unfortunately the kitchen smelled like a fishmongers house after hours of reducing the fish stock down for the bisque and the rissotto - still, I think it was worth it. Bon Apetit!

Good to see you integrating into Thai culture.....................................