What Was The Last Farang Meal You Made?

klubex99

last nights dinner

Starter - seafood bisque with crispy croutons

Main (Adults)- seafood rissotto with NZ mussells, shrimps and squid with a mixed salad

Mains (Kids) beef patty sliders, crinkle cut chips

Finished off with no-bake lemon cheesecake (kids made that)

washed down with a crispy Australian Chardonnay

Unfortunately the kitchen smelled like a fishmongers house after hours of reducing the fish stock down for the bisque and the rissotto - still, I think it was worth it. Bon Apetit!

Good to see you integrating into Thai culture.....................................

Well the thread is about farang meals...

I do find that after living here for 8 years, I'm eating far less Thai food and far more western food, than I did when I was first here.

• Replies 249
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Good to see you integrating into Thai culture.....................................

Well the thread is about farang meals...

I do find that after living here for 8 years, I'm eating far less Thai food and far more western food, than I did when I was first here.

Same here. I have been here 14,5 years now. For some years since about 6 years ago or so my body has become intolerant of Thai foods, especially streetfoods. I used to be able to eat almost everything with no side effects, no matter how spicy. Now if I eat food from street stalls I usually have to rush to a toilet, even with Thai food from "normal" eating places. I have been finding myself eating a lot of western food again as it seems to be the only thing my stomach can really hold :(

W

last nights dinner

Main (Adults)- seafood rissotto with NZ mussells, shrimps and squid with a mixed salad

Unfortunately the kitchen smelled like a fishmongers house after hours of reducing the fish stock down for the bisque and the rissotto - still, I think it was worth I think it. Bon Apetit!

If I am not mistaken Sunshine, the title of this thread is What Was The Last Farang Meal You Made. If the thread had been What Was The Last Thai Meal You Made my post would have been different. If you feel the need to make comments about our relative integration into 'Thai Culture' then go right ahead. I am not sure however that you can deduce a great deal from my post (s) but please feel free to do so. You are clearly a qualified Cultural Commando.

Very perceptive of you Mr Johnson.

You continue to enjoy your very regular Farang meals.

I agree that the topic is "..last Farang meal.." but I am not sure that the OP intended you to maintain a personal diary.

last nights dinner

Unfortunately the kitchen smelled like a fishmongers house after hours of reducing the fish stock down for the bisque and the rissotto - still, I think it was worth I think it. Bon Apetit!

If I am not mistaken Sunshine, the title of this thread is What Was The Last Farang Meal You Made. If the thread had been What Was The Last Thai Meal You Made my post would have been different. If you feel the need to make comments about our relative integration into 'Thai Culture' then go right ahead. I am not sure however that you can deduce a great deal from my post (s) but please feel free to do so. You are clearly a qualified Cultural Commando.

I agree that the topic is "..last Farang meal.." but I am not sure that the OP intended you to maintain a personal diary.

I think I may have posted 4-5 times on this topic over several weeks. Am I being overly enthusiastic and annoyingly regular with my posts. My apologies, I simply like to cook. It is a hobby of mine and my children also enjoy being involved. It gives us some quality time together. Would you perhaps like to see a complete inventory of my eating habits to determine the proportional intake of western food versus Thai food and then be able to make a much more accurate judgement of my 'integration into Thai culture'. Of course one has to keep in mind that indicators of cultural integration are numerous and complex and not all of equal value. To get a really accurate picture you would need to survey me, and others, on our integration using other cultural indicators such as myths, language, literature, music, religion, arts, institutions and architecture and these would all be useful also in determining our relative levels of cultural integration. But of course you probably already knew that.

Your serve, so to speak.

• Like 1

last nights dinner

You can just skip reading his posts if you want. Personally I like them, they are witty, unlike your droll reply.

Homemade pizza....pepperoni. Nice thin crust.

Big tossed green salad with homemade vinegar estate.

Homemade hummus with carrot and celery sticks for dipping.

A fairly cheap Shiraz to wash it down.

My other two meals of the day were Thai, thank you.

• Like 1

Hmm. Sounds tasty and healthy too. Very pleased to see you noted the other two meals were Thai. Wouldn't want you contravening the 'integration' rules set by the self-appointed Thai Cultural Integration Police, would we? BTW Tom, did you use canned chick peas in that hummus?

• Like 1

Spaghetti Bolognese and I must say it was the best I've ever made. Followed by cream crackers and blue cheese. Only Thai ingredients for the evening were a couple of bottles of Leo and the wife.

Sex: The most fun you can have without laughing. Woody Allen.

Sent from my iPad with Retina display, using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Sort of hard to pinpoint the last meal.

We eat almost exclusively at home, home cooked meals, all European styles.

Cooking is my hobby. She has learned my best loved recipes and now is cooking herself. Very good at it too.

Funny part is - she actually prefers European food to Thai.

Today's food:

Breakfast - Cottage cheese (home made) with sour dough bread, hot croissant, orange marmalade, coffee.

Lunch - Pizza Bolognese ( sauce, onions, capsicum, tomatoes, olives, cheese, pork ), beer, fruits.

Dinner - Veal sausages with mustard, sauerkraut and dill cucumbers (homemade), mashed potatoes, beer.

Cheers coffee1.gif

yeah i cook most days as well. i eat thai for lunch or as a change. my kid wouldn't stand for it for dinner

I'm going to make fried eggs, bacon, fried bread and baked beans for breakfast tomorrow. Shame I don't have English pork sausages.

Been here for 4 months now and this will be the first English breakfast I've made. I had an English breakfast in an up market hotel when I first got here and it was disgusting. I've been eating Thai breakfast, mostly rice soup, part boiled eggs, sometimes with toasted bread with salted butter. I sometimes have a little of the £8 jar of Marmite that I got in Udon Thani. That's a luxury now.

Sent from my iPad with Retina display, using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Hmm. Sounds tasty and healthy too. Very pleased to see you noted the other two meals were Thai. Wouldn't want you contravening the 'integration' rules set by the self-appointed Thai Cultural Integration Police, would we? BTW Tom, did you use canned chick peas in that hummus?

Haha, yes. The last few days I have had all Thai food! But it is the weekend and I am making American style BBQ chicken and ribs tonight, and have a crockpot of chili going! I will also probably make an American style potato salad, my dad's recipe. And had a lovely cheddar, green pepper and avocado omelette for breakfast! So this weekend several Western meals planned. Hopefully my Western to Thai ratio of meals will be enough though to appease the aforementioned TCIP. smile.png

For my hummus I usually just buy a can of of the chickpeas, though you can get them dry at Foodland for cheap and cook up a whole boatload of them (makes too much for me, I don't like that many chickpeas floating around at once. Both seem to work great. I get my Tahini from Foodland as well, about 220 Baht for a jar that lasts for at least 8-10 batches of hummus. Also, I discovered that you can sub raw zucchini for the chickpeas and you can make a 'hummus' that is nearly identical in taste...sounds weird I know but it is true. I make that one almost more than the regular hummus...good way to get the veggies in! Zucchini is quietly becoming my favorite vegetable. Foodland is the only place I see it, they got some lovely ones there.

No, I don't work for Foodland, but it is the best supermarket hands down.

Edited by tominbkk

Yesterdays breakfast was Frosties (they're grrrrrreat) and a homemade bread roll with butter and Makro cheese.

Lunch was chopped beef, onions and garlic in the same saucepan and then poured over boiled potatos with a dash of Worcester sauce.

Not a greasy frying pan in sight.

For dinner I had moo ping from the market that my wife brought home.

today a party day

morning 4 boiled eggs and half liter full cream milk

lunch beer,. cigarettes and reggae

dinner more beer cigarettes and metal / rock

snacks in between such as walnuts , thin cuts of homesmoked beef , accompanied by guess what BEER

tomorrow healthy again

• Like 1

Dinner last night

Olive tapenade on water crackers and a vodka martini (extra dry)

Starters - chilled leek and potato soup served with croutons and chopped chives

Main - Oven baked seabass stuffed with lemon, olives, tomato and basil served alongside roasted vegetables and a rocket salad

Desserts - no-bake vanilla cheesecake served with fruit of compote and ice cream

Washed down with a 2011 Semillon Chardonnay

Yum!

I made reubens for lunch again using whole grain bread from Joe's Bakery (via Rimping), that plus very thinly sliced pastrami and two layers of havarti plus saurkraut and a spot of 1,000 Islands dressing, it was surprisingly good and not expensive. I was worried the whole grain bread wouldn't work but it does, surprisingly so, I'll try to remember to take pics the next time.

For the diabetics out there: the above caused my glucose levels to spike to 134 at 2 hours from a base of 97 (I'm having a good couple of days), three hours later I was back to 110 but I took a 15 minute run to achieve that. Contrast that against using rye bread or similar where the spike would have been 170 or higher! The wholegrain bread is a great find, for me.

believe it or not ,, unionsoup

just before i fried some tenderloin half rare in garlicbutter

and ask if she want some of the soup

after a long longfaced noseup look she put like a whole vegetable stand in there chopped up and made moo kra ta

more food and more work cause i had to speed defrost and marinade all the meat and fish

no complaints tasted great

,by the way this is my 1000 st post here

celebration at my house pm me for details

Edited by retell

Spag Bol again tonight. That's twice this month. Didn't have the blue cheese and crackers this time, nor the Leo. Probably have the wife a little later though.

I don't eat much farang food, because since I've been eating Thai food, farang food seems to give me very bad indigestion, apart from Spag Bol. I don't know why it happens, but it's not good when it does. I'm beginning to think ill never be able to go back to the UK and eat normally again. Thank Buddha for small mercies!

• Like 1

Spag Bol again tonight. That's twice this month. Didn't have the blue cheese and crackers this time, nor the Leo. Probably have the wife a little later though.

I don't eat much farang food, because since I've been eating Thai food, farang food seems to give me very bad indigestion, apart from Spag Bol. I don't know why it happens, but it's not good when it does. I'm beginning to think ill never be able to go back to the UK and eat normally again. Thank Buddha for small mercies!

Sex: The most fun you can have without laughing. Woody Allen. �

been eating thai food like lifestyle alot but still after a plate of somtam i like some meat so fry a tenderloin or a staek

after an hour hungry again so it would explain 1 16 ltr gas bottle in 2 month time

and after many years doing like this i would be about 140 kg i thought

still below 70 (no worms) good exercice daily