What Was The Last Farang Meal You Made?

klubex99

What was the last farang meal you cooked for yourself?
Typical Danish Xmas crispy pork roast with brown sugar potatoes, red cabbage and doublecream souce. The Thais in my house loves it – so do our farang guests.
What is your fave comfort food from your home country that you make here?
How does the wife/gf react to your western culinary creations?
I took GF to my home country to get used to farang baking and cooking – it worked well – so she, and/or our maid (who has picked up the farang-way-of-cooking), cook a mix of menues: Thai some days and farang style other days. Not typical home country meals, but typical European style, such as home made pizza; ditto lasagne; various steaks with baked potatoes, doblecream pepper souce, and salad & baguette; fish & chips; owen baked duck or roast; spaghetti bolognese; pork tenderloin cream carry bowl with bacon and vegetables; various pasta dishes with bacon, ham and doublecream; etc.tongue.png
Works very well, as my “family” got used to foreign food from our visits to restaurants, and we all may get bored of Thai food only (I believe apart from Isaan-style spicy papaya-salad, which Thais seems not to able to survive without).smile.png

• Replies 249
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

as a try-out i made myself a 3.5 kilo piece of cured and smoked lamb-leg.

Anybody have any great ideas what to do with it besides slice it up real thin and eat it like that ? (lovely tast thou )

I've been on a sausage kick recently. Last week I used fennel and made Italian sausage and put that in some home made spaghetti sauce and this week I whipped up some sage, breakfast sausage. I'm also a big fan of black eyed peas.

this stuff is all delicious but I think I may be eating a little too much now.

My wife likes many farang dishes which we have a few times a month.

Toasted cheese and jam sandwiches

Roast pork with roast potatoes, various vegetables and gravy

Cottage pie

Fish/Egg/Sausages (not all together!) and chips, not french fry

Weiner Schnitzel

Fatboy Cumberland sausages with mashed potatoes, veg and gravy

Locally made by farang chicken pate

Locally made by farang sausage rolls

Locally made by farang pork pies

Traditional Xmas dinner

Cordon Bleu

Others too

She also likes custard.

Plenty of choice to have over a number of weeks.

Pancakes with chocolate sauce/honey whipped cream... the girls love them (breakfast)

Spag Bol (pork or beef) again mass appreciation.....

Traditional Brit Sunday roast (usually lamb) roasties, roast veg - carrots, parsnips, sweet pots, peppers, cauli cheese, broccoli, braised onions, roast garlic, leeks....

the girls just love the tastes...eg not soaked in chilli.

mushy peas on toast 4 hours ago

I think that falls into the same category as my fish finger sarnies. I used to love brown sauce (Hammond's Chop Sauce) on toast as a kid.

I make my own bacon, hams and gammons, I have made my own pease pudding here, and I will next attempt to make my own stottie cakes.

Ham and pease pudding stotties. Maybe some members can fathom out where I was raised by that snack.

Newcastle?

I had to stop reading all the posts - it made me start to crave for farlang comfort food. Fortunately for me my wife cooks great cottage pie, spaghetti bolognaise, lasagna and other stuff. She hasn't tried to make a meat pie yet, but I'm working on it.

• Like 2

I had to stop reading all the posts - it made me start to crave for farlang comfort food. Fortunately for me my wife cooks great cottage pie, spaghetti bolognaise, lasagna and other stuff. She hasn't tried to make a meat pie yet, but I'm working on it.

555 same here i'm stuffed all day hungry cos of this topic

now time for a few beer ( and some snacks mmm cheese, bacon and tomato wrapped in pastry-dough 15 minutes in the oven and ) oops forgott oregano and thyme

tongue.png

Edited by retell

Full English Breakfast - Cuppa tea an' a ciggy. Lol.

Actually, Scambled Egg made with milk, butter, salt, pepper and a hint of garlic, grilled smoked steaky bacon (nearly crispy) fried white button mushrooms (or straw mushrooms) with seasoning sauce, garlic salt and a hint of soy sauce, grilled tomatoes with fresh ground pepper, proper home made (with sage, bay and nutmeg) sausages, fried bread (small), freshly made toast, quality butter (eg Emborg), freshly made groung coffee (strong and sweet).

Still working on the back pudding.

None of those disgusting hot dog things or slimey processed ham.

• Like 1

I think that falls into the same category as my fish finger sarnies. I used to love brown sauce (Hammond's Chop Sauce) on toast as a kid.

I make my own bacon, hams and gammons, I have made my own pease pudding here, and I will next attempt to make my own stottie cakes.

Ham and pease pudding stotties. Maybe some members can fathom out where I was raised by that snack.

Newcastle?

Spot on.

Mince and potatoes, made enough for three meals and froze two of them.

Took immense pleasure in adding copious quantities of Lea & Perrin Worcester Sauce to the plate and then mashing all the mince and spuds together to make a thoroughly unappetizing looking gruel......wife looked on and was gagging. Tasted bloody beautiful...then I waddled over to the tele and couldn't move for 45 minutes.

My husband does that to every single thing he eats, even when eating out. He calls it sloppy Molly, I've heard someone else from Teeside call it that but never from anyone else.

I made stotty cakes last week. Not quite as good as my nan's but better than mam's (not that I'd ever be able to tell her that). I was going to make a Jamaican Ginger cake this morning, but I don't have enough black treacle left, will be stocking up soon. Really got to stop with the treacle sandwiches, I lugged it over from England for baking not snacking facepalm.gif

I've never tried peas pudding, I've never seen (but haven't looked for) yellow split peas - did you use the split moong beans? We're back for a month in a couple of weeks, so I'll be getting some from Bolands at Ferryhill AKA the best peas pudding known to mankind.

Starter - Pan-seared scallops on a bed of minted green pea mash with a sliver of crispy pancetta on top - served with a chilly chardonnay)

Main - beef cheeks slow roasted in red wine, tomatoes and a range of herbs (bay leaf, thyme, marjoram, oregano and bay) served with truffle mash and steamed green beans - washed down with a red from the Cote de Rhone

Dessert - rum bananas with vanilla ice cream (very 1970's but still a treat) - washed down with a sticky reisling

Not really really a typical evening meal but some friends came over so what the hell. It was all delicious - even if I do say so myself!

• Like 1

The last 'farang' meal I cooked was over 20 years ago. Actually, any meal for that matter.

Unless you call making a toasted sandwich cooking.

I've hardly ever even been in my kitchen.

My wife, on the other hand, cooks a lot of Western food, which is good for me as I'm really bored of Thai food these days.

The other day she told me that it was cheaper to make a pasta dish for the family than to make Thai food. So we have pasta/spaghetti bolognaise/macaroni cheese probably 4 nights a week. We also have chicken and mushroom pies/chicken kiev and other Western classics.

My wife has spent a lot of time with my mother and grandmother on our Scottish trips and my mother comes here every year for at least a month so my wife knows my favourite dishes and how to make them. There are some things that are not possible for example one of my favourites, courgette bake and some eggplant vegetarian dishes.