Exporting New Yacht from Thailand / Samui > Malaysia / Procedures?

I am re-posting this on Samui Forum, as Samui will be our Exit Point and we have not received any response from agents proposed in Phuket Forum. Thank you.

Hi to all yachties & experts;

I have a yacht built in Thailand which I want to export out of Thailand to Malaysia. The yacht is newly built and in the process of being registered under Malaysian flag now. Our exit point for immigration and yacht-sign-out will be Samui.

Has anybody done this and could supply a checklist regarding procedures. Is there any taxes, duties, special paperwork I need to be aware of? Or would anybody know about a reliable agent who would do the entire paperwork for me? Don't mind paying his fare to Samui, if coming from Phuket.

Thank you kindly for any feedback. M.S.wai2.gif.pagespeed.ce.goigDuXn4X.gif

Edited by moonseeker

There is a company that operates out of Ocean Marina in Pattaya that does this service. The company is called Buzzcats.

Let me ask this question in a few hours and try and save you a few bucks.

Great, thank you very much. Have a great Sunday. MS.

sorry in this topic you were not asking about thai registration.

THX. Still open for suggestions for that, too. Also we believe we will get it in Bangkok at the Harbor Department. The export issue seems more pressing with much conflicting information as usual in Thailand. MS.

sorry in this topic you were not asking about thai registration.

THX. Still open for suggestions for that, too. Also we believe we will get it in Bangkok at the Harbor Department. The export issue seems more pressing with much conflicting information as usual in Thailand. MS.

I was just pointing out that registration was like nationality and you cannot have dual registration for boats. If you are here it may be best to get thai registration and that will allow the boat to stay here and I believe leave with little problem. If you have Malasian registry you will have a very limited time to stay here with it and I thinkmore trouble on leaving Thailand as you did not enter with it. You can change to Malasian or other registration later.

Thank you. the yacht was built here new and will be exported and registered in Malaysia. In fact we will leave Thailand with the yacht under Malaysian flag.

But in order to check in at the Langkawi harbor/immigration we will have to show the yacht having been checked out in Thailand/Samui. What are the requirements for this?

Thank you. the yacht was built here new and will be exported and registered in Malaysia. In fact we will leave Thailand with the yacht under Malaysian flag.

But in order to check in at the Langkawi harbor/immigration we will have to show the yacht having been checked out in Thailand/Samui. What are the requirements for this?

Of no registration in Thailand, you just need a customs declaration of export. Ask a freightforwarder. Shouldn't cost more than 2 or 3000 Baht. But you should purchase from Thai shipyard as non resident, with address on invoice outside Thailand. That way you save 7% Thai VAT.

Furthermore, ask shipyard for certificate of origin, so that no import duties are levied in ASEAN countries, or China, NZ, Australia. Might make it easier to sell vessel in the future.

• Like 1

Of no registration in Thailand, you just need a customs declaration of export. Ask a freightforwarder. Shouldn't cost more than 2 or 3000 Baht. But you should purchase from Thai shipyard as non resident, with address on invoice outside Thailand. That way you save 7% Thai VAT.

Furthermore, ask shipyard for certificate of origin, so that no import duties are levied in ASEAN countries, or China, NZ, Australia. Might make it easier to sell vessel in the future.

Great Info. THX. MS.

last i checked years ago importing foreign vessels into oz was not permitted. got links to backup your claims?

Last time I checked it was.

still is too:

http://www.customs.gov.au/site/page4365.asp

the free trade agreement probably also exempts the boat from duty.

Looks like Da Pope is falible.

thanks for that. like i said it was years ago i check and it was more to do with fishing vessels. still not sure if yacht would include fishing type vessels now, perhaps you know or can clarify?

Edited by Der pope

there is this bit here:

"* Pleasure craft definition:
pleasure craft means a ship that from the time of its arrival at its first port of arrival in Australia from a place outside Australia until the time of its departure from its last port of departure in Australia is:
( a ) used or intended to be used wholly for recreational activities, sporting activities or both; and
( b ) not used or intended to be used for any commercial activity; and
( c ) not offered or intended to be offered for sale or disposal.

"

from http://www.customs.gov.au/site/page6080.asp

wonder if free trade will apply to boats intended for commercial activity? clear as mud.

Edited by Der pope

there is this bit here:

"* Pleasure craft definition:

pleasure craft means a ship that from the time of its arrival at its first port of arrival in Australia from a place outside Australia until the time of its departure from its last port of departure in Australia is:

( a ) used or intended to be used wholly for recreational activities, sporting activities or both; and

( b ) not used or intended to be used for any commercial activity; and

( c ) not offered or intended to be offered for sale or disposal.

"

from http://www.customs.gov.au/site/page6080.asp

wonder if free trade will apply to boats intended for commercial activity? clear as mud.

You are talking about carrying on business in Australia with ships and of course that is not related to duty free entry. FOr example ships whether australian or foreign need permits to operate and this applies to such things as fishing which I think you may be thinking of.