Farang food cart?

frankwhite

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Can a farang own and work a mobile food cart??

The vast majority of the Thai authorities, let alone the general populace, don't have the first clue about regulations for foreigners and therefore don't care.

I dont know if this is the same guy but this guy is famous here in Thailand and also in many countries. He has been on tv around the world and was just on Thai Tv a few weeks ago.

Here is the link to that show. I just saw his cart in front of 7-11 in China Town yesterday.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jb6ekolUZgw&feature=player_embedded

Edited by chrischronic
  • Like 2

Work permit for food cart ? Do you know what you are talking about ?

No! Thats why he is asking.

No he is forbidden! It is "work" You cant even work for free (they scare you might get a back hander)

Of course, if has a work permit .But for a food cart?

I recall an old American in Udon that had a "bright idea" that he would supplement his pension by walking round with a cart selling bespoke fine brewed coffee, needless to say he was the laughing stock of the local expat community.

I went to a place called Corn Dog Dude in K-Village Bangkok run by an American. I've always wondered why corn dogs haven't caught on here. It seemed like they have pretty high mark-ups and Thais love buying those garish pink 'hot dogs' on sticks anyway. If a farang does want to start a food cart, Corn Dog Cart has a pretty cool ring to it, I think.

Edited by aussiebebe
  • Like 1

A Norwegian I know, drove all around the vilages of Yasothon selling waffles from his motorcycle. He financed his whole Isaan village existance and border runs that way. He died a couple of years back. But had a lot of problems with an alcoholic wife and a yaba adicted step daughter working Soi Cowboy in Bangkok...and he was likely quite well marinated in lao khao himself...

• Like 1

Become a good 'Thai', show you love the people and the country, make an effort to learn the language and smile, compliment and laugh with the locals every day, show no signs of greed or trying to do over the local businesses and I'm sure anyone would be fine out side of the main tourist areas in the country. Even if one or two locals are disgruntled the Thais will want to reciprocate the love he gives them, and he won't be touched. As with nearly everything here, what you give out will be reciprocated back.

Though many, if not most farangs who live here are just too bitter and hateful/angry to act in such a way. Then wonder why their life in Thailand, and getting things done here is difficult for them.

Interesting. His wife says they can sell more when he prepares the food. Not sure if he speaks Thai though.

If you are referring to a cart with a motorbike on the side of it, then these travelling food carts are illegal in Thailand, even for Thais, with some exceptions. There are specific zones where they are allowed to operate within certain hours. Bangkok has some of these zones. As yet, Pattaya does not and the other cities I am not aware of.

This means the thousands of foodcarts buzzing around Pattaya day and night are ALL illegal. Just at the moment, I can't recall where the Bangkok zones and times are. Of course, Thais often ignore these rules though, and are sometimes caught and fined on the spot by police. Police do have the ability to seize the carts and the staff if they feel so inclined. You will often see a cart, pick up stakes and head off in a popular spot when police come past.

I could not imagine a Farang getting a work permit to operate one of these, but anything is possible here.

TL

Become a good 'Thai', show you love the people and the country, make an effort to learn the language and smile, compliment and laugh with the locals every day, show no signs of greed or trying to do over the local businesses and I'm sure anyone would be fine out side of the main tourist areas in the country. Even if one or two locals are disgruntled the Thais will want to reciprocate the love he gives them, and he won't be touched. As with nearly everything here, what you give out will be reciprocated back.

Though many, if not most farangs who live here are just too bitter and hateful/angry to act in such a way. Then wonder why their life in Thailand, and getting things done here is difficult for them.

Interesting. His wife says they can sell more when he prepares the food. Not sure if he speaks Thai though.

He tries to. Which is the important thing.

Become Thai, love Thai, speak Thai, work with Thai instead of against, proclaim your love for Thailand and its people, be happy, friendly and complimentary, and one is unlikely to have many problems. wink.png

Edited by Salapoo
  • Like 2