Gaskets for recessed ceiling lights?

wpcoe

I just replaced twelve recessed ceiling lights with fixtures having a clear lens that you twist on/off to change the bulb. Problem is, and this probably qualifies as a "First World Problem," they don't fit as snugly against the ceiling as the previous ones. I suspect that is due to the need to be able to twist the lens?

Anyway, in addition to looking a bit sloppier, some of them also emit a small "halo" around the fixture through the gap. I'm sure there must be some sort of seal or gasket or something that would fit the gap? I'm hopeless at googling, but was surprised that searching for "ceiling recessed light gasket" came up with nothing.

Other than sitting down with craft shears and a sheet of rubber or thin styrofoam, can anybody think of something that would work? The outside diameters are 4.5" and 5.5". Surely there must be something that size that's meant for another use but would work? I was thinking of canning lids, but I think they'd be too small and who knows where I'd find them in Thailand?

Never seen gaskets, but if yu do it yourself try using "future board". It comes in many colors and is very easy to work using either scissors or a box cutter. The kids use it for school projects and it is availabe in most stationary stores. If it's drop ceiling tiles you could always replace the tile and cut the correct size hole.

Never seen gaskets, but if yu do it yourself try using "future board". It comes in many colors and is very easy to work using either scissors or a box cutter. The kids use it for school projects and it is availabe in most stationary stores. If it's drop ceiling tiles you could always replace the tile and cut the correct size hole.

Ah, so that's what that stuff is called. I was looking at it today in Tesco and almost bought a sheet of white. It seems about the right thickness and certainly is cheap!

Many times the usual three clamps/clips used to hold the light in the ceiling are adjustable to allow for variation in the ceiling board thickness. By adjustable the clamp/clip can be repositioned within its holding frame for a snugger or looser fit. Did you check to see if the clamp/clip can be repositioned in its holder assembly. Take another look at the clamp/clip assembly...it may be adjustable.

A couple of the larger fixtures did have a different attachment slots for the spring clips to accommodate different gypsum thickness, but that's not the problem here. The gap is only 1 mm or so, just enough to allow a small halo around the fixture.

This morning I "reactivated" a ruptured disk injury in my lower back, so pretty much all activity -- including taking photos -- will be on hold for a while. Maybe in a day or two I can post a photo.

Many times the usual three clamps/clips used to hold the light in the ceiling are adjustable to allow for variation in the ceiling board thickness. By adjustable the clamp/clip can be repositioned within its holding frame for a snugger or looser fit. Did you check to see if the clamp/clip can be repositioned in its holder assembly. Take another look at the clamp/clip assembly...it may be adjustable.

I agree with you, assuming the ceiling hole is the correct size then the spring clips or whatever system is used to secure the fitting inside the ceiling should be able to be adjusted for a perfect flush fit. The twisting of the lens should not be an issue because this should butt up against a flange.

I assume therefore that it is the flange that is proud from the ceiling and allowing light to emit, plus looks a bit loose?

Which leads me to suspect that the design of the new lights may have a lip or step on the flange that is keeping them "proud" from the ceiling. Perhaps the hole is slightly too small and therefore the body of the light cannot be fully recessed to flush? It's possible that the original lights may have had a different design where a 50mm hole was satisfactory, but the new ones may require a 52mm hole. (just guessing the sizes.)

Edit: Also - if there is up/down movement and you can push the light upwards so it does actually fit flush, then it's definitely the fitting clips that need adjusting. If that's the case and the clips are at their maximum length, you'll have to figure out a way to extend the clips or pack them out. In the alternative, put a few dabs of superglue behind the flange and hold them in position for a few seconds. The glue will hold but will easily let go without damage if you ever want to pull them out again.

Edited by Gsxrnz

While I was hopped up on meds yesterday, I took some pictures to try to show what I'm talking about:

post-33251-0-00598600-1374888554_thumb.j

The "halo" doesn't show up so well, but it is visible in the second photo in the upper left quadrant.

The light fixture itself, i.e. everything but the lens, is flush against the ceiling. It is only the lens that doesn't sit flush. The lens has three tabs that correspond to three cutouts on the light fixture, and when turned the lens is drawn to the ceiling, but even at the height of its travel, the lens is not flush. It's not a crisis. I initially wondered out loud if there were a quick/easy fix. I tried cutting "future board" but it was so tedious to get just one right, that I'm about ready to start admiring the heavenly halos. smile.png

I've got one light fixture like this and had the same problem you are having. I only needed to adjust the three tabs I talked about in my earlier post. But your fixture may be different . Good luck

Sent from my Samsung S4 (GT-I9500)