VIDEO: Thailand's former Olympic badminton team brawls at competition, acts like children

Lite Beer

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't get it. Yingluck and the PTP government asked Thais abroad to promote Thainess. Then these players decide to do exactly as they were told by their government, start a Thai style face saving fight over nothing and take no responsibility for their actions, two of the most important aspects of Thainess, and people still complain?

I Think they just promoted Thainess better than the TAT ever has!

In this case it is highly likely both players will HAVE to take responsibility over their actions - by international authorities. If they think the can act like stupid people and break the law overseas and get away with it, they have another think coming.

I wonder if any Thai media is covering this embarrassment.

http://video.sanook.com/player/505574/

Also featured extensively on Channel 3 with lots of head-shaking and tongue-clicking from the presenters. It included an apology for 'losing his head' on behalf of the dude with the stitches in his ear.

The apology looked to be forced on the perp by the Thai badminton association, in the mistaken belief that apologising for something afterwards in some way mitigates the action.

• Like 1

How is this being reported in the foreign media?

In a comical fashion, if at all. Similar to the way the occasional fight between footballers on the same team in England is reported, or similar to when the Korean parliament comes to blows. It will be viewed with curiosity......the world's general viewing public after all will be watching without bias and see it for what it is....a very unusual incident involving sportsman from the same country.

People in general aren't suddenly going to think wow....typical Thais, they're all like that because people in general are not that stupid......(or bitter fortunately)......oh, the predictability of the response from the usual suspects on here........

• Like 1

Waiting for the social cultural experts explaining me that this kind of behavior is deeply rooted in the badminton community and all of them who play badminton are probably like this.

The Canadians thought they were watching a badminton match, but then suddenly a hockey game broke out.

• Like 1

A viscious assualt that clearly intended to inflict severe damage. Lucky the officials intervened. Sports competitors representing their country are not entitled to diplomatic immunity. The Canadian police should arrest and charge this guy if they can, as its doubtful the victim will press charges. Maybe under a public affray charge or something. If the Thais have any sense (first time for everything) they will send him home very quickly.

What a complete disgrace.

But, the Aussie Rugby captain who stamped on the Welsh guy's head managed to get cleared, twice, despite blatant video evidence, so who knows these days. Probably all be dismissed as high spirits or something.

Canadian law is not like American law in a case like this. The police, in theory should be obliged to arrest this guy because there was a public and easily provable assault and battery, which is an offense against the crown. Individuals can file a complaint, but charges cannot be withdrawn as in the USA (the idea being to prevent intimidation of the victim) - and the victim need not file a complaint for an arrest to be made.

Though they should arrest him, if only for the fun of seeing the Thai public baffled, my bet is they won't, for two reasons: 1. diplomatic issues with Thailand, and 2. Because then they would also have to start arresting ice hockey players - they could easily be accused of hypocrisy if they go after this guy.

Official Statement in Press Release .

Tournament Incident press release

2013 Yonex Canada Open Grand Prix (Richmond, BC)

Badminton Canada Press Release

For Immediate Release

July 22, 2013

Tournament Incident in the finals at the 2013 Yonex Canada Open

There was an unusual incident in the finals of the Men's Doubles at the 2013 Yonex Canada Open. A a black card was issued to the Thailand pair of Bodin Issara and Pakkawat Vilailak, who were disqualified. Their opponents were another Thai duo, Maneepong Jongjit and Nipitphon Puangpuapech.

Local authorities were called to the Richmond Olympic Oval, but no charges were laid.

The Badminton World Federation is aware of the incident and will conduct a thorough investigation. The world-governing body has procedures in place to deal with such situations and this matter will be referred to the Disciplinary Committee.

Badminton Canada will be working with the BWF during the investigation to facilitate a fair and appropriate resolution.

All media inquiries should be directed to Kyle Hunter, Executive Director of Badminton Canada.

Badminton Canada

Badminton Canada’s mission is to be an innovative and highly respected sports organization that is the leader in contributing to badminton becoming the most successful racquet sport in Canada and the world by enabling Canadian Athletes, Coaches and Officials of all ages, cultural background and skill level the opportunity to excel in badminton and in life. .

Kyle Hunter

Executive Director

Badminton Canada

So let me get this straight in my head. They were both on the same team? Then the assault occurred. Were they losing at the time of the assault? We have no idea at the moment what the guy who was slugged was doing to provoke the guy doing the slugging. I doubt the Government will do anything because all they will see is that Thailand won the competition, so objective complete. They have never heard of the old saying 'it ain't what you do it's the way that you do it' !

The poster above (Globeman) who brings in the precedent of on pitch ice hockey violence raises a very valid point. I am unsure how Canadian authorities can go ahead and punish what is clearly nothing short of a brutal violent assault, when such events are accepted as being part and parcel of ice hockey games. All that said the BWF should have no reservations about banning the guy for life from competitive badminton (unless of course the BWF headquarters are in Thailand where it will be a 2000 baht fine and a hundred thousand baht under the table).

So let me get this straight in my head. They were both on the same team? Then the assault occurred. Were they losing at the time of the assault? We have no idea at the moment what the guy who was slugged was doing to provoke the guy doing the slugging. I doubt the Government will do anything because all they will see is that Thailand won the competition, so objective complete. They have never heard of the old saying 'it ain't what you do it's the way that you do it' !

The poster above (Globeman) who brings in the precedent of on pitch ice hockey violence raises a very valid point. I am unsure how Canadian authorities can go ahead and punish what is clearly nothing short of a brutal violent assault, when such events are accepted as being part and parcel of ice hockey games. All that said the BWF should have no reservations about banning the guy for life from competitive badminton (unless of course the BWF headquarters are in Thailand where it will be a 2000 baht fine and a hundred thousand baht under the table).

I think they are former playing partners, but at this tournament were on different teams. Maybe incident is from previous rows which might be the reason behind why they are no longer playing together.

Brawls occur in almost every sport and at various venues around the world.

What makes this one different is players from the same country, in fact once on the same doubles team viciously attacking each other in a distant land - Canada.

What makes this one different is that we don't see jostling, pushing & shoving but a player pushed to the ground by a fellow-countryman and kicked and beaten by a once fellow doubles partner -all at an international meet.

Arguably, many may say that this is not out of the ordinary. But very much part of Unseen Thailand which the world got a glimpse at.

Mind you we could have excused it had this happened in the course of play - as in a rugby tackle. The genteel sport of badminton makes any such excuse impossible. Suffice it to say that the public display we see here is played out a thousand times in Thailand - outside the gaze of tourists. The Thai psyche & temparament does not cope well with even a minimal dose of challenge.

• Like 1