Silica Gel And Dessicants

taxexile

what is the best method for drying out the silica gel sachets and how often should it be done.

i keep my cameras and lenses in plastic food containers with silica gel sachets inside.

i havent used my 35mm film camera for a long while now , and i think i should dry out the gel.

any suggestions ??

thanks

This does not answer your question but here's one solution you might want to consider...

post-13351-1144492206_thumb.jpg

Reusable silica gel I bought at a shop called Daiso in Siam Square (opposite Siam Paragon). 8 bags of those in this sachet for 60 Baht. It says it is for preserving dry food but I guess it doesn't really matter what you use it with. It says (in Japanese) to put it in the microwave oven to heat when the color of the blue gel fades or turns orange.

post-13351-1144492253_thumb.jpg

Moisture absorber that you can plug into the power outlet to heat and dry. It came with the sealed dry box with hygrometer shown in the picture below (as mentioned in the link in the above post). This product is sold at Fotofile (in MBK) and I believe the price is around 2,500 Baht (box + moisture absorber, from Taiwan). After plugging it twice or so you can bring the humidity in the box down to as low as 20% (according to the hygrometer reading in the box). I'm not so sure if they still sell the device alone but I did buy one extra for around 700 Baht years ago. Whatever the type of moisture absorbent you use, it won't do much good unless you keep it in a sealed box (or bag). I have to dry this about once in two months to keep the humidity under 50% (in sealed condition).

post-13351-1144492288_thumb.jpg

Edited by Nordlys