Songkran Advice

marshbags

Quote from the Nation. 16-04-06

RECKLESS BEHAVIOUR

Curbs on revellers

Unruly frolickers blamed for mayhem and carnage on the roads, blinding motorists with thoughtless water attacks

To prevent road accidents during the Songkran holidays next year, water-splashing will be allowed only on designated roads, the Interior Minister said yesterday.

Though many road accidents this year took place on secondary roads, many people were splashing water on main roads, making them prone to accidents, said Chidchai Vanasathidya, who has assumed the duties of caretaker Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra.

A meeting of the Cultural Ministry, Disaster Prevention and Mitigation Department and local administrative organisations will be held after the holidays to designate roads for water-splashing throughout the country, Chidchai said. Alcohol and weapons will be banned on all roads designated for Songkran festivities, he said. Drunk driving was reported to be the major cause of accidents over the holiday, he added.

For full article http://www.nationmultimedia.com/2006/04/16...es_30001778.php

Excerpt ended...........................................................................

At last a voice echoing much needed advice said many times before. ( las few years )

I,d go one further and allocate fields /areas where people can do as they wish in a safe manner without effecting everyone who doesn,t want to get involved to much.

Something like the " Gladstonbury festiville in the U.K. " let them go crazy in a controlled enviroment and enjoyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy

Consideration and Common sense is what most posters are saying is the requirment NOT banning it. I agree with them all.............................................................................

And we are not killjoys or old farts ect. ect. so cut the crap you selfish ***** and remember the down side of your actions.......but then again you haven,t got the brain for this have you !!!!!

marshbags :o:D:D

For the record i celebrated in the traditional way and it was a really pleasant experience again.....

Enjoy without selfishness.

Thanks for every observation in support of this.

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Donz mentioned throwing water on people during a water throwing festival.

2 responses have had his nose broken and his teeth knocked out.

Very selective quoting there Maigo6. Donz mentioned how much fun it was soaking people who didn't want to be soaked. If someone does not wish to get drenched, they have every right to be left alone. Continuing to soak them is an act of aggression, and some people may choose to respond with their own form of aggression.... Thais are used to having people take the piss with their personal space and wishes. People in other countries are not.

Thais are used to having people take the piss with their personal space and wishes. People in other countries are not.

I thought I was talking about a Thai Festival taking place in Thailand, where are you talking about?

Quote from the Nation. 16-04-06

RECKLESS BEHAVIOUR

Curbs on revellers

Unruly frolickers blamed for mayhem and carnage on the roads, blinding motorists with thoughtless water attacks

To prevent road accidents during the Songkran holidays next year, water-splashing will be allowed only on designated roads, the Interior Minister said yesterday.

Though many road accidents this year took place on secondary roads, many people were splashing water on main roads, making them prone to accidents, said Chidchai Vanasathidya, who has assumed the duties of caretaker Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra.

A meeting of the Cultural Ministry, Disaster Prevention and Mitigation Department and local administrative organisations will be held after the holidays to designate roads for water-splashing throughout the country, Chidchai said. Alcohol and weapons will be banned on all roads designated for Songkran festivities, he said. Drunk driving was reported to be the major cause of accidents over the holiday, he added.

For full article http://www.nationmultimedia.com/2006/04/16...es_30001778.php

Excerpt ended...........................................................................

At last a voice echoing much needed advice said many times before. ( las few years )

I,d go one further and allocate fields /areas where people can do as they wish in a safe manner without effecting everyone who doesn,t want to get involved to much.

Something like the " Gladstonbury festiville in the U.K. " let them go crazy in a controlled enviroment and enjoyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy

Consideration and Common sense is what most posters are saying is the requirment NOT banning it. I agree with them all.............................................................................

And we are not killjoys or old farts ect. ect. so cut the crap you selfish ***** and remember the down side of your actions.......but then again you haven,t got the brain for this have you !!!!!

marshbags :D:D:D

For the record i celebrated in the traditional way and it was a really pleasant experience again.....

Enjoy without selfishness.

Thanks for every observation in support of this.

It's amazing ... there is a place for water throwing through Songkran ..... it is called Thailand.

Had a few good days in Kanchanaburi already ... it may be time to go to Pattaya tmw!

Don't let the old fart killjoys get you down :o ... have fun and be nice!

Edited by jdinasia

This is Advice for people who go to Bunol in Spain when the Tomato Throwing Festival is on, it's the biggest food fight in the World.

Once you're there

Don't wear your holiday best and beware that anything white won't stay clean and bright for very long. It's usually boys versus girls, and it rapidly becomes something of a wet t-short contest. People wearing baseball caps or carrying cameras are considered prime targets for everyone, so if you're determined to take pictures bring a see-though waterproof bag.

There aren't many rules to tomato warfare, but those that do exist are in the interests of safety and public decency:

l) You can throw tomatoes and tomatoes only.

2) They must be squashed before you throw them, otherwise they can cause a nasty bruise.

3) Although the locals tend to rip each other's clothing, it is officially forbidden and as a visitor, you will be expected to behave.

Just replace the Tomato references with Water, and you have Songkran, personally, I would like to see Tomato Wars in Thailand too and The Running of The Bulls.

post-4007-1145170882_thumb.jpgpost-4007-1145170937_thumb.jpg

Soi Oz and Maejo man at the Tomato Throwing Festival maybe ? :o

Mango wars and The running of The Buffalos in Pattaya would bring thousands of extra fun loving tourists from all over the world, and the old or the just plain miserable could watch more DVD's at home.

Edited by Maigo6

Looks like it'll be fun ..... Out of BKK tmw ... heading "upcountry" but since it isn't Isaan and you can get there in a couple of hours ... :D

Temple in the morning of the 13th .... then throwing water all day! (Here's to seeing some uptight "git" in a suit!

................................................................................

................................................................................

It's amazing ... there is a place for water throwing through Songkran ..... it is called Thailand.

Had a few good days in Kanchanaburi already ... it may be time to go to Pattaya tmw!

Don't let the old fart killjoys get you down :o ... have fun and be nice!

Seems you get about a bit " jdinasia " how do you manage to cover such vast areas between the 11th and today and at the same time keep logging onto T.Visa and reading, composing/posting on the computer while wet from all the brilliant water fights ect you take part in.

Hmmmm.

1) Bangkok to upcountry,

2) Back to Kanchanaburi for 3 days, ( 2-3 hours on the road one way ) or 3 hours plus on the train.

3) All the way to Pattaya on the 17th., all this during the Songkran celebrations and traffic chaos :D:D

You are one of several things, unless you have the benefit of super powers.

Just a simple/curious observation that,s puzzling me on your efforts and creditability.

Now aint that Amazing :D

marshbags :D

Edited by marshbags

Well, I'm just PO'd that I can't be there to see the sexy lil ladies in the soaked through blouses. There only one thing that I love more than sexy lil ladies and that is revealing sexy lil ladies... :o I was supposed to be there for the event this year but had to return to work to soon.

Donz mentioned throwing water on people during a water throwing festival.

2 responses have had his nose broken and his teeth knocked out.

If someone does not wish to get drenched, they have every right to be left alone. Continuing to soak them is an act of aggression, and some people may choose to respond with their own form of aggression.... Thais are used to having people take the piss with their personal space and wishes. People in other countries are not.

Doesn't this belong in the "Whining About Songkran" thread down in the Farang Pub forum? :o

:o

Looks like it'll be fun ..... Out of BKK tmw ... heading "upcountry" but since it isn't Isaan and you can get there in a couple of hours ... :D

Temple in the morning of the 13th .... then throwing water all day! (Here's to seeing some uptight "git" in a suit!

Don't let the old fart killjoys get you down :D ... have fun and be nice!

Seems you get about a bit " jdinasia " how do you manage to cover such vast areas between the 11th and today and at the same time keep logging onto T.Visa and reading, composing/posting on the computer while wet from all the brilliant water fights ect you take part in.

Hmmmm.

1) Bangkok to upcountry,

2) Back to Kanchanaburi for 3 days, ( 2-3 hours on the road one way ) or 3 hours plus on the train.

3) All the way to Pattaya on the 17th., all this during the Songkran celebrations and traffic chaos :D:D

You are one of several things, unless you have the benefit of super powers.

Just a simple/curious observation that,s puzzling me on your efforts and creditability.

Now aint that Amazing :D

marshbags :D

:D Yes ... read that first section carefully Marsha dear :D Kanchanaburi is considered "upcountry" ... It is about 3 hours drive from BKK :-) Rough drive huh? up on the 13th ... home on the 16th ... WOW

then ALL THE WAY to Pattaya from BKK? wow .... if I go in the morning (probably wiill wait until Tues though) it will take me 2 whole hours to drive there! Amazing Thailand :D

Marsha ... have you been to BKK? did you go out on the 13th? Fastest drive I have ever made to Nakhon Pathom! Absolutely no one on the road until after Puttamonthon and even then the traffic was very light ... coming home was the same! left at 10am ... stopped at Fly Now outlet in Kan and STILL made it back before 1pm!

No accidents on the road ... all weekend ... including in the main section of throwing water in Kan .... <no crybabies either!> What a GREAT weekend!

Well, I'm just PO'd that I can't be there to see the sexy lil ladies in the soaked through blouses. There only one thing that I love more than sexy lil ladies and that is revealing sexy lil ladies... :o I was supposed to be there for the event this year but had to return to work to soon.

You missed a GREAT time!

i will wet whoever the hel_l i want.

Next year when i go to thailand im gonna only wet people that dont wanna get wet.

Broken nose? thats would be a stupid response for getting abit of water thrown on them during a WATER FESTIVAL.

dont wanna get wet dont go outside.

easy as that.