Thailand to become ASEAN's seafood hub

webfact

Thailand to become ASEAN's seafood hub

BANGKOK, 23 July 2013 (NNT) - The Agriculture and Cooperatives Ministry is devising a new strategic plan to position Thailand as the regions’ seafood hub.

Agriculture Minister Siriwat Kajornprasart revealed that the plan includes closer collaboration between the Department of Fisheries and the Fish Marketing Organization.

The Fish Marketing Organization will become a trade center for fishery products, facilitating fishermen and overseeing services offered by marine piers. The Fisheries Department will meanwhile see to it that seafood products maintain international standards in accordance with other global markets.

The highlight of the plan includes transforming the Bangkok branch of the Fish Marketing Organization into a central market for quality marine products which are targeted at providing supplies to supermarket chains, restaurants and hotels.

Currently, the organization suffers from an annual revenue loss of 2 million baht. The ministry plans to promote local seafood products at trade shows and to supply the Corrections Department with their goods in order to boost income. They expect to raise the annual income to up to 10 million baht per year.

nntlogo.jpg
-- NNT 2013-07-23 footer_n.gif

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

well of course they have to do this.

The virtual slavery by which allot of the fishing fleet crew are shackled by has come under public scrutiny and will continue to do so such that in the near future there could well be a ban on seafood from Thailand by USA/ Europe/ Australia

So rather than do anything about this just realign the focus to those who dont care as much.... except pesky Singapore who may side with the farangs....

How very Thai.....

Now just one little problem... given the overfishing and fact that Thai fishing industry has limited future based on reports how does one sustain the business longer term.....

Another hub built on politicians excrement I fear

The irony of all of that is, Green Peace just said a week ago that the Thais were ruining the Gulf Of Thailand and that small fish were not able to grow into large ones. Looks like The Agriculture and Cooperatives Ministry didn't get the memo.

Then of course there are all the human trafficking and slave labor issues that revolve around the fishing industry. But hey, it's good to dream big and ignore all the problems.

Nice One. Unfortunately for Greenpeace they are a bunch of eminently forgettable foreigners and only Thai government sources speak the truth, the whole truth and nothing like the truth

• Like 2

The irony of all of that is, Green Peace just said a week ago that the Thais were ruining the Gulf Of Thailand and that small fish were not able to grow into large ones. Looks like The Agriculture and Cooperatives Ministry didn't get the memo.

Then of course there are all the human trafficking and slave labor issues that revolve around the fishing industry. But hey, it's good to dream big and ignore all the problems.

Nice One. Unfortunately for Greenpeace they are a bunch of eminently forgettable foreigners and only Thai government sources speak the truth, the whole truth and nothing like the truth

The credibility of Greenpeace is even below the Thai government. Hysterical ideologists.

• Like 1

If, big if, the could get their act together they could easily provide Asia and the world with plenty of farmed fish, shrimp and the like. They have the natural resources, but I fear the long term planning is missing.

However, before all we smart *ss Europeans start blah blahing, we fished our fisheries to exhaustion. So a little bit of embarrassed silence would go a long way here eh?

• Like 1

You are absolutely right. Slavery get's <deleted> done! However, in this case it may end pretty soon when the pond is empty!

What has the " Corrections Department " got to do with sales ?

There will be by-catch of the day next to the rotten rice (Isaan's finest) on the menue of the "Bangkok Hilton."

There will be catch of last week on the menu.

If, big if, the could get their act together they could easily provide Asia and the world with plenty of farmed fish, shrimp and the like. They have the natural resources, but I fear the long term planning is missing.

However, before all we smart *ss Europeans start blah blahing, we fished our fisheries to exhaustion. So a little bit of embarrassed silence would go a long way here eh?

Regrettably you may have a point! Rather difficult to crow about sustainable fishing I fear.

• Like 2

Regrettably you may have a point! Rather difficult to crow about sustainable fishing I fear.

Indeed, best not to carp on about it!

• Like 2

Just in case anyone missed it........very witty CM. biggrin.png

• Like 1

Just in case anyone missed it........very witty CM. biggrin.png

No red herrings Blether, back on topic please. giggle.gif

• Like 1