Chiang Mai and Hua Hin included in World's Top 21 Overseas Retirement Havens

webfact

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hub of people that have the choice to stay in Thailand, or, leave Thailand.

They choose to stay, then think Thailand owes them something.

Then they do nothing but bitch and whine about what a terrible place it is, all the while, they can leave when they want to, but they still don't leave, they stay, then continue to whine about what a bad place it is, it's so bad, they still continue to stay facepalm.gif

Not everybody has the choice to leave. They are fully invested in Thailand. Jobs, property, families and have been here many years.

How do you leave that?

Well it would help if you read the article. Pretty hard to be retired when you have a job.

I have no job or property here just a wife who would be quite happy to live in Bali. Yet I am fully vested in Thailand. I wanted to live in Thailand so I got rid of all my property in Canada. I even gave my car to my ex wife. I do not own one thing here in Thailand that I can not walk away from. I do have some items of value but I refuse to let my possessions own me.

If that is some ones choice so be it. I understand. I lived that way for 64 years. Now all that would hold me back is my wife. That is a choice I am happy to live with. She is Thai.

I know lots of people who are retired from their jobs back home, but still work here. Some just rent out a few properties. Others dabble in this and that to make a few extra Baht. Others have work permits and are doing all sorts of stuff full time. No different than back home. I know lots of retired people back home who are the same way.

I was like you several years ago, but decided to make Thailand my home. Knowing the flaws fully well. I could leave relatively easily, but the question is? To where? I've not come up with a better alternative. Considering the weather and cost of living. 2 very important items to me.

wai2.gif

i am living comfortably in pattaya on my social security. if i was trying to do same in the USA i would be eating out of garbage cans and sleeping in a shelter. only benefit i miss is my free medical insurance with the VA since i'm a veteran.

I know quite a few who have moved back due to the heath care issue. As you well know, it's not great here and insurance is really expensive. If you add in the costs of health care, I'd bet the cost of living wouldn't be that much different.

You do know there are some hospitals here that pay 75% of your medical costs upfront? Quite a few options for a vet.

Strange that ThaiVisa announced this story in the same list as it announced that dengue fever had never been so bad in CM.

I come to CM for each winter, six months of renting half-decent condos just outside the city perimeter. I have to confess that the quality of life is visibly deteriorating with each year I am here. Traffic has become almost unbearable. The automobile pollution is life-threatening at the five-hour traffic lights. Restaurant menus this last year far outstripped inflation. Most restaurants catering to farang tastes increased their prices by about 20%.

I happily pay, since I am only a visitor. But if I were truly doing the expat thing and uprooting from my home country, I would not choose CM as my final destination. I would not pay the inflated prices for the new condos going up, all looking really smart in the photos cos they have a few gleaming modern appliances sucking you in.

But when all's said and done, better than living a drizzling winter in Liverpool, Manchester, Boston or Toronto.

You're last sentence nails it. What the CM bashers in this thread are failing to tell us is which places are better. Is it that CM is the worst possible place except for all the others?

TOURISM

Chiang Mai, Hua Hin best

The Nation

30210976-01_big.JPG

BANGKOK: -- The Live and Invest Overseas website has ranked Chiang Mai and Prachuap Khiri Khan's Hua Hin district as a couple of the world's best places to retire due to the low cost of living and beautiful beaches.

The website recently revealed its first annual "retire overseas" index which used several criteria to name the best places, including the cost of living, local people's English skills, entertainment venues, environment, public health, infrastructure, real estate, residential areas, safety and taxes.

Chiang Mai and Hua Hin were included in a list of 21 other cities, including Abruzzo in Italy, Ambergris Caye and Cayo in Belize, Boquete in Panama and Cebu in the Philippines.

because of the low cost of living with Bt 37,500 per month. Moreover, the cost of insurance and medical service are not too expensive for foreigner.

While Hua Hin was picked up because of the precious beaches and low cost of living.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2013-07-23

"The province also offers affordable health insurance plans and healthcare services."

Oh, does it now?

Not if you're at retirement age or older.

Sounds like someone is gilding the lily.

Yes, if there is an "affordable Health Insurance plan" for people of or over "retirement age", PLEASE Advise, I'd love to know about it. When we lived in Australia my Thai Wife and our Daughter were given immediate coverage by Australia's MEDICARE. No "return favours" in Thailand eh?

Sure, I have the option of taking them both back to Australia but we want to be around my wife's family and I can't take the lot of them, not that all of them would want to go anyway. So if there is "reasonable health insurance" available for me, please let me know.

CM is becoming a Farang Ghetto, it's going to eat itself alive.

On the other hand, I predict a mass exodus within 5 years. As soon as the wall of Chinese and ASEAN money pours in, which it will, it will become the BKK of the North. Over priced and gridlocked.

Those in CM just now should be looking for the next best thing, go buy land there and wait it out. Once they are sick of CM, cash in and move.......get yourselves one step ahead of the game.

Unfortunately, I do see hyper-growth in Chiang Mai over the next few years. This article will only exacerbate the situation. Over population is the bane of any metropolis. Perhaps Chiang Rai will be the new Chiang Mai in the future...not that I have any interest in moving up there.

CM has grown significantly over the ten years I've been here. It's still a nice place to live (most of the time) but TBH it's not the place it once was with the extra traffic in town and the seasonal burning, which although it certainly happens is overstated. Fortunately we have our country pad further out and that's where we'll probably live in the future.

• Like 1

Strange that ThaiVisa announced this story in the same list as it announced that dengue fever had never been so bad in CM.

I come to CM for each winter, six months of renting half-decent condos just outside the city perimeter. I have to confess that the quality of life is visibly deteriorating with each year I am here. Traffic has become almost unbearable. The automobile pollution is life-threatening at the five-hour traffic lights. Restaurant menus this last year far outstripped inflation. Most restaurants catering to farang tastes increased their prices by about 20%.

I happily pay, since I am only a visitor. But if I were truly doing the expat thing and uprooting from my home country, I would not choose CM as my final destination. I would not pay the inflated prices for the new condos going up, all looking really smart in the photos cos they have a few gleaming modern appliances sucking you in.

But when all's said and done, better than living a drizzling winter in Liverpool, Manchester, Boston or Toronto.

They are only inflated prices to people who have been living here or coming as often as you. To a person who has never been here they may be dirt cheap. Then in 6 years he will say they are inflated.sad.png

People choose to retire here for what it has to offer today not 6 years ago.smile.png

What you don't understand is that 6 years ago when you first came here there were people saying the same thing about Chiang Mai as you are saying today about it.coffee1.gif

What about beach road Pattaya sitting there on the side walk with a warm 7/11 beer hanging around with all the winners , wonder what that ranking was?

Surely you mean "sitting there on the sidewalk with a warm 7/11 beer hanging around with all the losers. . ."?

I don't see the problem?

Pattaya has something for everyone. smile.png

It's amazing how any topic here can be used for a quick bash at Pattaya, no matter how irrelevant.

"Pattaya has something for everyone. smile.png"

including things to be bashedbiggrin.png

Pattaya, despite it's downsides, would still be in my top ten retirement destinations. Fifteen thousand baht a month for a twenty third floor apartment on the south side of Markland condo with magnificent views of the bay.UBC so I can watch all the sport I want, and a host of young pretty ladies on Beach Road willing to provide me with my '5 a day' and stimulate my septuagerian heart for a pittance.

Plenty of 'losers' like myself around to share a joke with and to trawl the area for fleeting company. Breakfasts for 50 baht and superb seafood, pork, steak barbies in Naklua for 150 baht at night.

And when I grow old Father William I will hire a long term carer from the many ladies who are past their best and they can become my nursemaids for minimum wage.

Just avoid the bars and strip clubs, enjoy the occasional Chang or Singha with friends at home or on the beach. Watch your back, dress down, carry outdated credit cards and the minimum of cash, never take katois or walk alone especially if intoxicated.

Not perfect of course, nowhere is, but my retirement pension and superannuation allow me to live like Prince rather than a Pauper in UK

• Like 1

Then they do nothing but bitch and whine about what a terrible place it is, all the while, they can leave when they want to, but they still don't leave, they stay, then continue to whine about what a bad place it is, it's so bad, they still continue to stay facepalm.gif

Not everybody has the choice to leave. They are fully invested in Thailand. Jobs, property, families and have been here many years.

How do you leave that?

You nailed this one perfectly.

Also for some of us its not the country... its some of the people that make life worse... The rascist Thais. the theiving police and so on... When we confront them, it makes a pleasant day a day to forget and hope tomorrow brings something better.

This is true of many countries, but we are not there, we are in Thailand and we have the right to get pissed off... It doesnt mean we hate it...

Sounds like you need a change of life style.

In seven years I have never had a problem with thieving police and have met very few raciest.

Back in North America there are fifty raciest for every one here in Thailand. Anti Colored anti Mexican anti Native American.

In some of the larger city's they have populations of a large bunch of people from other countries and they are against them. In Vancouver when I lived there in the early 80s It was just grouped all together anti Pakie's even though they came from other eastern Asian nations also.

Never been to Europe but I would think there is starting to be anti Muslim feelings there.

I probably run into anti farongs here but they do not show it in there business dealings with me and if they did I would not patronize them. Or try to have them as friends.

You are rite we do have that here in Thailand but to come into constant contact with it to the point you have to post about it is a reason not to retire here is a little to much contact and I suggest you take a look at what you are doing to encounter so much of it.wai2.gif

I almost took the article seriously till I saw Hoi An, Vietnam on the list!

Don't get me wrong, Hoi An is nice place to visit, but as a retirement haven... sorry I can't see that.

The article said Hoi An received an F for Fail on infrastructure.

How do you leave that?

Well it would help if you read the article. Pretty hard to be retired when you have a job.

I have no job or property here just a wife who would be quite happy to live in Bali. Yet I am fully vested in Thailand. I wanted to live in Thailand so I got rid of all my property in Canada. I even gave my car to my ex wife. I do not own one thing here in Thailand that I can not walk away from. I do have some items of value but I refuse to let my possessions own me.

If that is some ones choice so be it. I understand. I lived that way for 64 years. Now all that would hold me back is my wife. That is a choice I am happy to live with. She is Thai.

I know lots of people who are retired from their jobs back home, but still work here. Some just rent out a few properties. Others dabble in this and that to make a few extra Baht. Others have work permits and are doing all sorts of stuff full time. No different than back home. I know lots of retired people back home who are the same way.

I was like you several years ago, but decided to make Thailand my home. Knowing the flaws fully well. I could leave relatively easily, but the question is? To where? I've not come up with a better alternative. Considering the weather and cost of living. 2 very important items to me.

wai2.gif

Using your line of logic I am retired four times as I had four different careers in two different countries and I am just unemployed now.

I prefer to think of it as retired and that is what the article was all about. It was not about new cities to move to and take up a job.

Edited by hellodolly

The only good thing about Hua Hin is that it's not Pattaya, with CM, yes it cheaper

than most other foreigner's populated areas but the air pollutions from the burning

of crops and traffic congestions that become no unusual to be stuck in, put

the kybosh on the place.

Chiang Mai is actually a great place to retire!

Great that Chiang Mai has no beaches so it will never be overrun by tourists like the places down south. The climate is great - people friendly.

The burning season bothered us this year maybe for 1 week as where I live there is always a nice breeze blowing so it wasn't too bad at all this year.

Traffic congestions? Who wants to live in the city center unless one has to for work?

I moved to the countryside 18 kms outside the city - and lucky us they built the new Central Festival at the end of the main road into town - now I have the best of both worlds - quite country living, lots of expat and Thai friends in the area - but the "city life"and shopping within easy reach.

Almost all my Farang friends in the area have beautiful big houses with gardens and pool - for the price of what you would probably pay for a 2 bedroom condo in the city.

People can tell me a thousand times whats "trendy" - so if they like it in their congested little world around Nimman so be it - I can make my own decision where I want to live. If you live in Chiang Mai there is no reason to get into the congested city center whatever one needs is now in the outskirts of the city. The city center is for tourists!

Edited by Cnxforever
  • Like 2

On the other hand, I predict a mass exodus within 5 years. As soon as the wall of Chinese and ASEAN money pours in, which it will, it will become the BKK of the North. Over priced and gridlocked.

Those in CM just now should be looking for the next best thing, go buy land there and wait it out. Once they are sick of CM, cash in and move.......get yourselves one step ahead of the game.

How would you know you never stay long enough to do anything other than meet a few people at the bars and you are off again to some other location?

I know CM well enough to see that the traffic and building growth has gotten to problem levels. Do you disagree with that?

How would you know you never stay long enough to do anything other than meet a few people at the bars and you are off again to some other location?

I know CM well enough to see that the traffic and building growth has gotten to problem levels. Do you disagree with that?

Something you can't disagree with, as every city is the same -or nearly anyway. as things progress there will be less and less super retirement areas.

Suppose the Ideal place for most that we near all dream about is a place overlooking the sea, warm climate, good shopping with the type of food you love and company--people of similar style and habits, together with a nice local community. NOT far to travel for your 90 day visa, and airport within an easy distance. BUT THATS ME. any other posters want to do the same ????

• Like 1

Why do you think it is odd to run both stories?

They have come from different sources and just happened to be released at the same time. Are you suggesting that ThaiVisa ought to "sit" on one or the other, or perhaps even both? Obviously you have no concept of what happens in a News outlet. Stop grizzling or go back to your English winter, or is it summer over there, no matter, whatever you call it, it is damned rotten.

The only good thing about Hua Hin is that it's not Pattaya, with CM, yes it cheaper

than most other foreigner's populated areas but the air pollutions from the burning

of crops and traffic congestions that become no unusual to be stuck in, put

the kybosh on the place.

Chiang Mai is actually a great place to retire!

Great that Chiang Mai has no beaches so it will never be overrun by tourists like the places down south. The climate is great - people friendly.

The burning season bothered us this year maybe for 1 week as where I live there is always a nice breeze blowing so it wasn't too bad at all this year.

Traffic congestions? Who wants to live in the city center unless one has to for work?

I moved to the countryside 18 kms outside the city - and lucky us they built the new Central Festival at the end of the main road into town - now I have the best of both worlds - quite country living, lots of expat and Thai friends in the area - but the "city life"and shopping within easy reach.

Almost all my Farang friends in the area have beautiful big houses with gardens and pool - for the price of what you would probably pay for a 2 bedroom condo in the city.

People can tell me a thousand times whats "trendy" - so if they like it in their congested little world around Nimman so be it - I can make my own decision where I want to live. If you live in Chiang Mai there is no reason to get into the congested city center whatever one needs is now in the outskirts of the city. The city center is for tourists!

You can live in the city with out having to be in the center of it. If how ever you choose to you can live in the center of it. Or you can live in the boonies. Don't listen to people who say it is one or the other there are lots of in between places.wai2.gif

Yes.

What one would consider traffic problems another would just laugh at. Besides the heavy traffic is only at certain times of the day and not a city wide event. Except for certain holidays when every one and their brother from Bangkok come here to just drive around in circles. the day will come when it will become a big problem but if that is a reason to not retire here so be it. Doesn't sound to me like it would be an enjoyable retirement any how always having to drive ihn the bussiest part of town.

The only problem I see with the building growth is there is not enough buyers for it and that is not mine or yours that is the developers problem. You will note that some of the buildings are in the form of new malls away from the heart of the city. With the exception of one which has yet to open. Even that one is being built in an area where there is a huge concentration of people that can walk to it.smile.png