Floods hit Korat and Chanthaburi after heavy downpours

webfact

Flood situation in Chantaburi still critical
By English News

13746341628072.jpg

CHANTHABURI, July 24 -- The flood situation in Thailand's eastern province of Chanthaburi is still critical as the water level in some areas has reached more than one metre high as high tides slow the runoff of water to the sea, with 14 schools forced to close.

Although the rain has stopped, many areas in the province remain under more than one metre of water, particularly in Trok Nong subdistrict of Khlung district.

The vicinity of the provincial seat has a half metre inundation. Some low-lying locations received runoff from Kham district.

The high tide caused water from the Chanthaburi River to overflow into the community, and residents built a sandbag dyke to prevent flooding.

The water level at Phra Pok Klao Hospital has slightly receded, and ambulances can now enter the hospital complex.

However, the Chanthaburi Education Service Area Office ordered 14 schools in the province to close temporarily due the the flood.

Meanwhile, in the southern province of Ranong, continuous rain for many days has caused a one metre deep 50-metre long subsidence of Phetkasem Road at Thabchaiya School in La-un district.

In Satun's La-ngu district, a storm hit three villages, damaging more than 10 homes but no one was hurt.

The Meteorological Department has warned of heavy to very heavy continuous rain countrywide today. Residents of Nakhon Ratchasima, Sa Keao, Rayong, Chanthaburi, Trat, Ranong and Phang-nga are especially warned of the severe conditions.

Strong winds and 2-3 metre high waves are likely in the Andaman Sea and the Gulf of Thailand. All ships should proceed with caution and small boats keep ashore.

However, tomorrow and Friday, the monsoon trough and the southwest monsoon will weaken, with decreasing rainfall expected over Thailand. (MCOT online news)

tnalogo.jpg
-- TNA 2013-07-24

Severe floods hit Thailand's eastern, northeastern provinces.
By English News

13746311981232-640x390x2.jpg

CHANTHABURI, July 24 - Heavy rains and run-off water have wreaked havoc in this eastern seaboard province where patients were moved out of the provincial hospital and more than 10 schools were barely accessible.

In Chanthaburi's commercial areas including the gem market, floods were nearly one metre high after several hours of rain and run-off water from the Sabap mountain range yesterday.

Staff at the provincial hospital were busy relocating patients to higher ground and flat-bottomed boats were needed as the water level was too high for vehicles to reach.

In the northeastern province of Nakhon Ratchasima, flooding was about one metre deep and could be more due to heavy rainfall.

Soldiers from the Second Army headquarters tore down parts of the walls surrounding the compound to release excessive flood water.

Officials said floods had receded at the outbound section of Mitraparb Road, from Bangkok, and traffic was back to normal. (MCOT online news).

tnalogo.jpg
-- TNA 2013-07-24

I had a bit of a drive around Chantaburi today, thankfully not much rain today, but the water levels are high in a in the rivers, and one near PloySiam has burst it's banks. If there is more heavy rain in the next 48 hours, there'll be further problems. Took these photos from one of the coffee shops on the river next to Robinsons, you can see how high the water is, as it's right up to the balconies, and on the far side has flooded out some riverside housing.

post-31474-0-65187300-1374683803_thumb.j

post-31474-0-07174300-1374683821_thumb.j

post-31474-0-14671400-1374683840_thumb.j

post-31474-0-69219000-1374683859_thumb.j

I had a bit of a drive around Chantaburi today, thankfully not much rain today, but the water levels are high in a in the rivers, and one near PloySiam has burst it's banks. If there is more heavy rain in the next 48 hours, there'll be further problems. Took these photos from one of the coffee shops on the river next to Robinsons, you can see how high the water is, as it's right up to the balconies, and on the far side has flooded out some riverside housing.

No mention anywhere as to the positions / water levels in the dams ...????

I think they have opened some dams, but not sure. Water was moving fast downstream today. Lets see what tomorrow brings.

I think they have opened some dams, but not sure. Water was moving fast downstream today. Lets see what tomorrow brings.

well I guess we can only hope that we don't have a repeat of the 2011 floods....!!! It's amazing that nothing but nothing has been mentionned onver the past 4-5 months regarding the water levels in the dams... regardless of draught or excessive rains... not a word !! too low, too high, normal ,... whatever.... not a single word...!!

Yinglucks flood program not going as planned in south Phetchabun, spent all year building this and the first big rains punched two holes in it.

Sent from my i-mobile IQ 2 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

That is what you get from corruption.. not sure the democrats would have been less corrupt, but the government in charge is responsible for this and that is Pheu Thai. They are without a doubt the most corrupt government Thailand has seen especially if they get those huge loans passed through all other money ever stolen from Thailand by politicians will then pale in insignificance

You must be a mind reader... Because I have been saying this to the wife for weeks. I pray they don't get this 2 trillion thay have been asking for, because 70% at least will find its way into Swiss bank accounts... and a lot of it into Heir Thaksin's Dubai bank.

Yinglucks flood program not going as planned in south Phetchabun, spent all year building this and the first big rains punched two holes in it.

Sent from my i-mobile IQ 2 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

That is what you get from corruption.. not sure the democrats would have been less corrupt, but the government in charge is responsible for this and that is Pheu Thai. They are without a doubt the most corrupt government Thailand has seen especially if they get those huge loans passed through all other money ever stolen from Thailand by politicians will then pale in insignificance

You must be a mind reader... Because I have been saying this to the wife for weeks. I pray they don't get this 2 trillion thay have been asking for, because 70% at least will find its way into Swiss bank accounts... and a lot of it into Heir Thaksin's Dubai bank.

Of course and it will make them so powerful we wont be rid of them in ages. They will also use it to finance the rice scam because that will blow up if they cant find money soon.

I do think there should be a good flood mitigation plan but not while these corrupt jokers are in power. Unless there is truly a transparent setup maybe with democrats checking them and having the power to stop the corruption. It would be great as then it would benefit the country and not the bank accounts of the corrupt.

Wish they had some rule that on projects of this size the opposition had the right to look in all contracts and such on punishment of disbanding a government. This way you would get projects that are less corrupt. Of course it would have to work 2 ways that if the Democrats are in power the same happens. I trust them more but they got a lot of corrupt guys there too. Its better to let them check their enemies so both can't steal the money and it would be well spend.

After Korat/Isaan area flooded in 2010 and central thailand flooded in 2011 both times I read later in the news that they opened the dams to release water because they had too much water in the dams. So it seems that they do it on purpose so some people can benefit from the floods. Everyone knows that the heavy rains come mostly during the rainy season. And with some research we should be able to know on a 20-50 year average how much rain fall each region receives during the rainy season and on average how much water each region uses during the dry season, so why do they not start draining the dams to a certain level before the rainy season gets here to accommodate the 20-50 yearly average rainfall amount?

Then would this not enable the dams to hold alot of the rain fall that comes during the yearly rainy season?

After Korat/Isaan area flooded in 2010 and central thailand flooded in 2011 both times I read later in the news that they opened the dams to release water because they had too much water in the dams. So it seems that they do it on purpose so some people can benefit from the floods. Everyone knows that the heavy rains come mostly during the rainy season. And with some research we should be able to know on a 20-50 year average how much rain fall each region receives during the rainy season and on average how much water each region uses during the dry season, so why do they not start draining the dams to a certain level before the rainy season gets here to accommodate the 20-50 yearly average rainfall amount?

Then would this not enable the dams to hold alot of the rain fall that comes during the yearly rainy season?

Problem is if they let out too much water before the rainy season and there is not enough rain the farmers who are important to the ruling party will complain.

The info you want is here--every province is included: http://www.tmd.go.th/en/province_stat.php?StationNumber=48501

• 3 weeks later...

Problem is if they let out too much water before the rainy season and there is not enough rain the farmers who are important to the ruling party will complain.

To be safe they could just add some % to the historical amount of water they need to keep in the dams, in case the rainfall does not reach the 20-50 year average. Which more than likely would cover this situation.

The info you want is here--every province is included: http://www.tmd.go.th/en/province_stat.php?StationNumber=48501

Since the data is available it can be done but then some may not get a flood time bonus.