The Key To The Kingdom

Originally, I thought of posting this on the TVF Thai Language Forum,

On second thought, I wondered if they might object over there,

Because that forum is more for Learning Thai,

Not talking about having already learned it.

I will post this here instead, and

Hope for the best,

Sawadii

Krap

I am not a very good Thai Language Speaker.

I am more like a Thai Language Chops Sticks Player

If Thai Language were the Piano

And I the player. I speak Thai like some beginning pianists play Chopsticks

But with only One Finger.

Sawadii Krap

So today, it was almost like giving birth to my first child,

Which I never had.

There I was, sitting in my usual place,

At my usual restaurant. Having the usual, PadKrapCow

And some sort of Green Soup with Coconut and Chicken.

Usually, I never open my mouth to order my usual,

I just know where it is located on the menu, which is all in Thai!

And there are no numbers on the menu so if I get my positioning wrong,

Then I do not get my usual, I get something else instead. When I'm a half centimeter off in my pointing.

So there I am, having my usual PadKrapCow, and this restaurant prepares great tasting PadKrapCow, and today is a Holiday.

I know I need to come back for a second helping before the restaurant's closing time, but this is a Holiday,

Who knows what time this beanerie will close tonight.

I look at the owner's wife, and I point to where my watch should be on my wrist, while gesturing what I use to mean closing time.

She goes, "Som Tome". Well I wonder what time that could be, because you gotta add 3 + 6 in your head, while you're trying to think in Thai.

So I finally answer her, I go, "Song Tome Kreung!", I can't believe I have done it!

And this owner's wife who is really nice actually remembers me, because I go in there twice a day.

And she knows that when I first came in the first day I did not know beans about Thai

And comparatively, I am almost fluent now.

So I go back to my seat, and I sit down. But the owners wife had never heard me open my mouth before, and she thinks I am fluent.

She follows me back to my table and starts grilling me why I have not been in except only once a day

And where do I come from, and where do I live, and do I like Thailand, and what do I do all day,

And will it rain tomorrow.

Sawadii Krap

So this is why I keep telling you guys,

If you will just learn a little Thai,

The people are gonna love ya,

They will respond in kind.

Sawadii Krap

So, this is why I am now telling you guys,

Thai Speaking is the Key to the Kingdom.

Sawadii Krap.

So, but what I really want to know is what was your first experience with that "Ah Ha, Thai" moment?

Like a Virgin? The Very First Time?

I speak a bit of Chinese as L2, and I still recall decades later when I first spoke a few words of needed Chinese in Real Life.

The experience was truly life changing.

Some guys say that Thai is not needed here because they can get by using English or another language, which is true.

But they will always be on the outside,

Looking in.

Yeah, it is true what the song says:

Without Thai,

YOU ARE not complete!

Thai Is Mine!

It makes me feel I've Nothing To Hide

Touched for the very first time.

OH! BABY!!!!!

Feels so good inside.

Edited by OldChinaHam

Speaking thai by living there is certainly a benefit. As long as you are able to say; i do not understand what you say when a thai person is speaking to you. For the fluent thai speakers this is not neccesarry but for the people who can speak it 50/50 1 needs to be careful because many thais can think you are a fluent thai speaker after a couple of sentences. While this is probably not the case. MISUNDERSTANDINGS !!!!!!

• Like 1

My very first experience of anything practical, after self study for a few weeks, was telling a taxi driver that he was charging me too much, should be 40B, not the 100B he asked for. Big smiles, 40b and a 20B tip.

• Like 2

In this digital age, an ATM card is the key to the kingdom. smile.png

Yes, that is another problem I have.

But first things first.

First, I speak to the owner's wife, who is really nice and smiley,

Then I talk to the ATM which is a machine,

And for which,

It is nice to know sometimes how to tell it I have finished my transactions, and I

Do NOT want anymore to do with it.

Sure most of the machines are in English with an English interface,

But some are more fluent in English than others,

And some you just want to give them a good kick, once in a while,

WHICH I NEVER DO, BY THE WAY

AND NEITHER SHOULD YOU.

Okayyyyyyyyyyyy, lets move this to Pub.

We don't have a specific forum for folks who converse with ATM's (surprising), but I'm fairly sure if we did, then General ain't it.

Does this mean.

The stars are aligned again,

So soon?

• Like 1

We don't have a specific forum for folks who converse with ATM's (surprising), but I'm fairly sure if we did, then General ain't it.

Does this mean.

The stars are aligned again,

So soon?

Why not.

Let's call it some divine cosmic intervention ;)

• Like 1

General is more for the unfriendly folks that don't talk to anyone, least of all ATMs; though they might go on the internet to meet one...

• Like 1

@O.C.H. as I already know you are a grammar pedant, I will attempt to write my first " Ah Ha Thai moment". With as few mistakes as possible.

It came when I opened the cover of my copy of The fundamentals of the Thai language (fifth edition) and there inside, displayed were the

44 consonants and 33 vowels. In columns alongside is a system of transliteration, that would take a Philadelphia lawyer to understand.

That was my moment. And though it was a long time since ('85) I am still struggling on in my attempt to understand this fascinating language.

J.D.

• Like 1

I was stationed for three years in Germany during the 70's and learned enough German to carry a conversation (Which got much better as the beer flowed). Then stationed in Panama and chatted enoughSpanish to order food, pass pleasantries and stay out of difficult situations. Then came Korea and kimchi-chigae and loads of talking and learning the words to "Ka gee my la go" by Cho Yun Pil. I still remember the words after thirty years. Learned to say, "Hello, thanks, please, how much and where is the toilet?" in a handful of languages.

I'm not fluent in any language save English, but in all the years past my attempts to learn the local lingo was met with smiles and friendships that last to this day.

It's up to the individual to find what's comfortable and with some, staying mono-lingual is perfectly ok.

And now for my Thai language experience and the wonderful challenges that lay ahead.

• Like 1

How does it go again?

If you speak two languages, you are bilingual.

If you speak three languages, you are tri-lingual.

If you speak four or more languages, you are multi-lingual.

If you only speak one language, you are (usually) American.

I still get a certain vicarious thrill with the three staples of conversational Thai acquired so many years ago,

What's your name?

How old are you?

How much?

@O.C.H. as I already know you are a grammar pedant, I will attempt to write my first " Ah Ha Thai moment". With as few mistakes as possible.

It came when I opened the cover of my copy of The fundamentals of the Thai language (fifth edition) and there inside, displayed were the

44 consonants and 33 vowels. In columns alongside is a system of transliteration, that would take a Philadelphia lawyer to understand.

That was my moment. And though it was a long time since ('85) I am still struggling on in my attempt to understand this fascinating language.

J.D.

I am very sincerely happy for you, because you know first hand the joy that learning languages does bring.

But I just can't figure out, with all your book learning, how you might have gotten the year wrong, and then listed it here for all to see.

Or is this your Back to the Future senior moment?

Anyone in Thailand will tell you '85 is still a ways down the road.

Philadelphia time, on the other hand, is something you may know I know pretty well.

• Like 1

I was stationed for three years in Germany during the 70's and learned enough German to carry a conversation (Which got much better as the beer flowed). Then stationed in Panama and chatted enoughSpanish to order food, pass pleasantries and stay out of difficult situations. Then came Korea and kimchi-chigae and loads of talking and learning the words to "Ka gee my la go" by Cho Yun Pil. I still remember the words after thirty years. Learned to say, "Hello, thanks, please, how much and where is the toilet?" in a handful of languages.

I'm not fluent in any language save English, but in all the years past my attempts to learn the local lingo was met with smiles and friendships that last to this day.

It's up to the individual to find what's comfortable and with some, staying mono-lingual is perfectly ok.

And now for my Thai language experience and the wonderful challenges that lay ahead.

Thank the gods I do not envy you.

I do not need to.

I am doing just what you are doing.

And many others are envying us. (I did not even realize envying might be an English word until I spoke with you.)(Sounds like South Philly Talk, to me.)

• Like 1

How does it go again?

If you speak two languages, you are bilingual.

If you speak three languages, you are tri-lingual.

If you speak four or more languages, you are multi-lingual.

If you only speak one language, you are (usually) American.

I still get a certain vicarious thrill with the three staples of conversational Thai acquired so many years ago,

What's your name?

How old are you?

How much?

Sounds like you need a full time Thai Squeeze,

Just so you can finally become bilingual.

She might learn you something

General is more for the unfriendly folks that don't talk to anyone, least of all ATMs; though they might go on the internet to meet one...

I did not mean, originally, when we were some place else,

To imply that anyone was actually 'talking' to machines, not in the literal sense.

I thought it was understood that I was just resorting to the OP's right to exert some poetic license when and where required,

And then I was trying to practice my use of metaphor, irony and gallows humor, altogether.

But basically, in a very valid way, I was showing how the study of Thai can help us all to know what the marks on the screens mean.

When we think they might now be completely understood in English, but instead some things only written in Thai.

Because sometimes there is no clear indication of what one should do next, even when the ATM has some English, and it just sits there waiting for you to press one of its buttons.

But does it really sit there?

No, of course not

I was just anthropomorphizing a bit, which is my want

When the going gets tough

And I don't have the language skills to cope.

Sawadii Krap.

You can tell it's a full moon, by the way.

The full moon, I do understand

Some of those humor bits, I found fun but very long.

It must have required quite some time at the office to write up all of that

And I am glad that you did.

Do you have a boss or office manager over there where you are?

Or, are you he?