tourist visa

I am an American citizen and will be residing in Thailand this winter from Nov 6,2013 until March 6, 2013. I most likely will be getting a double-entry tourist visa. I am going to be visiting Cambodia by bus for a few days at some point to see Angkor Wat and will be returning by bus to Thailand. I am also planning to fly to Luang Prabang Laos for a week during my 4 months stay this winter and will be flying back to Thailand after my trip to Laos is finished. I am a little confused in terms of best utilizing my tourist visas to get maximum useage out of them. I am also a little confused because if I fly to Laos and then fly back to Thailand after my stay there, I know I get 30 days in Thailand. But since I have a tourist visa, which takes precedence over the other? I don't want to 'shoot myself in the foot" so to speak by shortening my stay in Thailand on my tourist visa in order to go to Laos or Cambodia. Any suggestions on how to best utilize my double-entry tourist visa in relation to my planned trips to Cambodia by bus and Laos by air to maximize my alloted time in Thailand would be appreciated. My schedule is very flexible and I haven't locked anything in yet.

Depending on your travel itinerary the two entries with tourist visa and the third entry without visa is all you need. If any of your entries with the tourist visa is for a stay longer than 60 days you can get a 30-day extension of stay. If you plan your third entry, the visa-exempt entry, to be for a stay longer than 30 days, you should not use a visa-exempt entry but instead get a single-entry re-entry permit, if necessary first get a 30-day extension of stay.

If you plan to make your second visa entry later than 90 days from the visa's issue date inform the Thai consulate accordingly and ask them to make the visa valid for travel to Thailand for six months from the issue date, because some consulates might make the double-entry tourist visa valid for only three months or 90 days.

To be able to answer your question properly it would be better if you posted your proposed itinerary.

In your case, I would get a triple entry visa instead of a double. The visa will be valid for six months and you get three entries which would cover your travels plans with no problems. The cost of the visa is only $40 more which is less than one 30 day extension, 1900 baht or about $63. You can get the visa via courier service. The Honorary consulate in Portland has been very friendly and efficient in the past. Here's their info:

Visa application porcedures, Portland Oregon.doc

Edited by wayned