Certificate of residency for renewal of Thai driver's licence

Last year, my wife went to immigration (Khon Kaen) and she obtained the certificate of residency. I had filled and signed the basic application form. And she didnt need to show any other document or need copies of anything or pay anything. This was for my first application for a Thai driver's licence.

Now my 1 year thai driver's licence is due to expire this weekend. So today we both went to immigration (Khon Kaen) for another certificate of residency, for renewal of Thai driver's licence. Thinking it would be just the same as last year! No copies of anything, as none was required last time. How wrong we were!!!. This time, they wanted a photograph of myself, copy of my wifes ID card and copy of blue book. Is this correct?

So was not too pleased coming away empty handed especially living 60 kilometers away and having to go back again.

If you have a work permit ( I do ) can you use this and not need a certificate of residency from immigrations. Is this correct or does it all depend on the requirements of my local Transport office?

Would like hear from other peoples experiences

I've just renewed my licence today. I needed my work permit, passport and old licence, plus a medical certificate from the doctor which was 100 baht.

I also needed photocopies of my passport, visa and work permit. I had to take the colour blindness, depth perception and reaction tests again.

The cost of the renewal was 655 baht.

I've just renewed my licence today. I needed my work permit, passport and old licence, plus a medical certificate from the doctor which was 100 baht.

I also needed photocopies of my passport, visa and work permit. I had to take the colour blindness, depth perception and reaction tests again.

The cost of the renewal was 655 baht.

The reaction test is always the one that makes me laugh. The first time I saw this, I thought "how could anyone possibly fail this"....oh how innocent I was!

Edited by GinBoy2

Until a couple of years ago (in my experience) you could get a license just by slipping a THB or 2 to the people at the local transport office but like alot of things now in Thailand this has changed as they tighten up.

I had to have a photo, medical cert' and proof of address which I obtained by getting a yellow house book as well as my UK driving license and the wife's ID card and blue house book.

The yellow book is useful as it shows that you have been through some local official process confirming that is your address in Thailand, usually you need the village headman to sign the appilcation or some other local govt' officiai who can vouch for you.

Having a yellow house book or certificate of residency does not work at all driver licence offices (Ubon is one). They will give you a form to take to immigration to have signed and stamped.

Some people have been given another 1 year license because they could not get form signed because they were not on extensions of stay.

Thanks for the info guys, we paid our local transport a visit and asked them, can i use my work permit as confirmation of address instead of using a certificate of address from the immigration. And result No problem.

So Today, went with relative documents, passport, old drivers licence, work permit and medical certifcate (which mine was a copy, No problem with this ) and did the colour blindness, reaction test and depth perception test which was new to me. hadn't done this one before. Still can't quite understand what this test is for.

Anyway in and out of the transport office in 20 minutes. And all is good for 5 years.

Until a couple of years ago (in my experience) you could get a license just by slipping a THB or 2 to the people at the local transport office but like alot of things now in Thailand this has changed as they tighten up.

I had to have a photo, medical cert' and proof of address which I obtained by getting a yellow house book as well as my UK driving license and the wife's ID card and blue house book.

The yellow book is useful as it shows that you have been through some local official process confirming that is your address in Thailand, usually you need the village headman to sign the appilcation or some other local govt' officiai who can vouch for you.

Love this quote. Other people moaning about all the corruption in Thailand and when they start to "tighten" up it is a problem.

Thanks for the info guys, we paid our local transport a visit and asked them, can i use my work permit as confirmation of address instead of using a certificate of address from the immigration. And result No problem.

So Today, went with relative documents, passport, old drivers licence, work permit and medical certifcate (which mine was a copy, No problem with this ) and did the colour blindness, reaction test and depth perception test which was new to me. hadn't done this one before. Still can't quite understand what this test is for.

Anyway in and out of the transport office in 20 minutes. And all is good for 5 years.

See, once you find out the proper procedure it all goes pretty smooth. What the work permit shows as well is that you are in Thailand on an immigration visa and not a tourist visa. For those not able to show a work permit you need to get a letter stamped by immigration proving you have a proper visa. In most cases when you apply for the 5 year dl you can get a letter from the LTD which you take to immigration to have stamped. Along with all the items listed in the previous posts and you are all done.

• 2 months later...