No good deed: Chiang Mai ex-pat shot by man he tried to help

webfact

No good deed: Chiang Mai ex-pat shot by man he tried to help
By Casey Hynes

CHIANG MAI: -- The night Nic Brown got shot seemed at first a night like any other. The 35-year-old Canadian ex-pat was out with his girlfriend and some friends. The group was having a few drinks at Baan Din, a small bar in Chiang Mai, Thailand.

Brown had even played the part of the Good Samaritan, helping break up a fight between a drunk Thai man and the Baan Din bar staff. After seeing the man out of the bar, Brown and his friend Ryan Powell lingered outside the bar, discussing the brawl.

They say no good deed goes unpunished, and that seemed the unfortunate case that night. The drunk man returned to the bar with a gun and opened fire as he drove past.

“I’m in the doorway perfectly framed, wearing a white t-shirt, holding up a beer,” Brown recalled. “And then suddenly five shots ring out, bam bam bam bam bam. And I got hit.”

Looking for trouble

Don Praweenmeth, who has confessed to the shooting, had been making a nuisance of himself at Baan Din that night, according to reports.

Full story: http://asiancorrespondent.com/111038/chiang-mai-ex-pat-shot-by-man-he-tried-to-help/

-- ASIA Correspondent 2013-07-25

• Like 1

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Considering that the shooter was drunk he can hardly be held accountable now can he?

I'm sure this was meant as joke, but seriously if he presents the defence that he was drunk and the farang caused him to loose face.. it's not really a defence but it may be enough of a mitigating factor to see him walk free in a couple of years.

• Like 1

“Me and Nic went outside to talk and I saw my girlfriend Daytona with a very drunk Thai man,” Powell said via Facebook message. “She introduced him to me. He didn’t [seem] too terribly grabby but did seem very drunk. We returned to the table and the drunk Thai man followed.

Probably more to the story than reported. :(

• Like 1

Breaking up a pub fight does not constitute being a good samaratin. bah.gif

I totally agree with this. It's not a good deed to interfere in such a way in Thailand.

Seems to me that anyone standing outside the pub was going to get shot. The gunman couldn't have been too drunk if he recognised the guy who broke up the fight, drove past and zapped him.

Ah the mental clinic route he will be trying to do a moo ham. There is no justice here when the rich are involved. All because of the corruption that a large part of the farang expats find great (its so easy to pay a bribe to drive fast so much better as back home.. not realizing that its all part of the system that makes sure there is no justice here)

So true. We like corruption- when it benefits us...