Eye surgery experience and advice wanted

BKKstan

I have severe case of Glaucoma and eye surgery has been suggested to arrest the fluid pressure that has permanently damaged the Optic nerves in both eyes. Has anyone had this type of surgery and can anyone recommend a competent surgeon?

You have had treatment by drugs that do not lower pressure enough and doctors are advising surgery? Do they not do this themselves?

In Bangkok the premier eye clinic is Rutnin Eye Hospital and has been top choice among Embassy/expats for many decades. But all major hospitals will have experienced doctors on staff.

Sorry can not speak from surgery experience other than having glaucoma with drug treatment keeping it in check.

Here is a link to the Glaucoma Research Foundation which you may find helpful.

http://www.glaucoma.org/treatment/surgery-overview.php

If your ophthalmic surgeon is advising surgery then one presumes medication has failed to reduce your intra-ocular pressure.

This will not improve without intervention.

If your uncertain about having this surgery please obtain an urgent second opinion

i had a detached retina operated on here - http://www.eent.co.th/home.html

doctor, staff, room and food very good, they did it sooner than bangkok hospital rayong could do it, and a third of the price that included a vip room, my surgeon was a lady doctor Dr Somsiri. i could not recommend this hospital/doctor highly enough

• Like 1

I have not had glaucoma surgery but have had both eyes operated on for cataracts. Two separate operations both at Yanhee Hospital here in Bangkok. Dr Patamanuch did both surgeries. I can highly recommend her and the hospital as I am very satisfied with the result. I don't remember the cost but it was very reasonable.

Which operation, a "Trab??" http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trabeculectomy

I've had glaucoma for about 30 years, Dr Chaiwat at Rutnin Eye Hospital did the cataracts on both eyes several years ago.

The IOP was generally OK but about 2006, left eye spiked to a level uncontrollable by eyedrops, he tried different combinations. So, a Trab on the left eye. Successful.

Two years ago the right skyrocketed, different combo of eyedrops didn't work, so a Trab on that eye, also by Dr Chaiwat. Successful again.

After a month he told me to stop the eyedrops in both eyes to see how the IOP was holding. It was fine, and continued to be so. Guess you could say I'm paying off the cost of the Trabs by not buying eyedrops any more!!

I still see Dr Chaiwat about every 3-4 months for a pressure check, last one in June, IOP 9 & 10, left & right, fine.

As do cost, don't have the figures with me, they're at home and I'm temporarily in Pakse.

Dr Chaiwat did say that the operation is usually 85% effective at the first shot, but if you happen to catch the 15% end of the stick, it can be done again. This is what happened to a Thai friend. Trab on one eye worked fine, the other eye he's had done a second time, seems to have worked.

Dr Chaiwat also said that 18 months after the operation is a critical checkpoint. If the flap is still open then, then it's considered a good operation.

Mac