Security of Funds in Thailand

Hi

I have Non(O) Immigrant visa. My Thai wife wants to start a business in her name and borrow approx. 400000 Baht from me. I have no objection over it. Only the big problem is the security of funds. Is there a legal way of monitoring and securing funds that will be used in her business. Please note: I will not be getting any return but the installments on monthly basis. I also don't want to get myself victimized over 50:50 rule in case of separation/divorce.

Requesting an appropriate answer.

Cheers

Initially my reaction is "Don't invest more than you're prepared to lose" -- which applies in any country.

Also .. don't rely on written contracts to set anything in stone. The thai legal process appears to be exasperating at best, and just hopelees at worst. Having said that - contracts don't work in all situations. There's an old adage that says you can't blood out of a stone, so if your contract is with someone who has blown the lot, they won't be able to repay anything no matter what a court says.

On the positive side - you obviously have got your thinking cap on which hopefully means that you will exercise due diligence before handing over any cash as a "loan", "investment", or whatever. Just remember that the Thai concept of Loan or investment is most definitely not the same as yours. Hence my opening remark.

Plenty of farangs have done business in Thailand without serious problems, but there are a large number of horror stories as well -- but you could probably say the same in any country.

Watch for you status regarding the need for a work permit - it'll only take a grumpy neighbour or business associate to really mess with you in that regard.

Security is ephemeral, but you could try to get something of theirs legally into your name - a car maybe ? At least that way you are not totally trouser-less ;)

Good luck in any event.

• Like 1