Pop up rotatory or gear sprinklers;buy in LOS or ship from U.S.?

Dean1953

I've got a 6 year old sprinkler system at my house in Bosang. I had problems with the first Thai that claimed he could do it (and was recommended by the person that built my house). After buying the supplies at Global House, he had several leaks in the tubing, which he tried to fix with tape. After firing him, I got on the internet and decided that I would use PVC pipe and have my sister ship Rainbird rotor pop ups from the U.S. It is on a box Hunter timer, with 4 zones and 4 pop ups per zone. My family then moved to the U.S. and have a caretaker take care of the house and lawn. The problem with the intiial installation is I had a local plumber do it and the sprinkler heads were set a little high for a lawnmower to cut over them. I put red flags near each of them and asked her to use the weed wacker near them instead of the lawnmower. Three years ago, we decided to have a well dug just to supply water to the sprinkler system, as the water bill from the government was pretty high. I am at the house now and brought 16 new Rainbird pop up's with me. Unfortunately, I screwed up and they are not rotor or gear but spray pop ups. A person working at a sprinkler shop near the nurseries near Tesco Lotus told me he could adjust the sprinklers to spray further. After paying him 4, 600 Baht for his "expertise," the sprinklers don't spray any further and 3 of them constantly leaked (I took them out and put the old sprinklers back in). Now, to the questions. I have done some additional research and think that Hunter PGP or I-20 stainless steel gear pop ups come with the most recommendations for reliability and ease of maintenance. If they are compatible in size to the old Rainbird pop ups that I took out, I'll probably buy them and ship them over and have a plumber put them in for a lot less than I paid the sprinkler shop person. Is there any rotor/gear pop ups that anyone could recommend, that can stand up to 12 months of use with well water that probably corrodes the working parts? Of the 16 sprinklers that I will have put in, 10 shouldn't need any adjustments at all but the other 5-6 are near walls or near the patio and I would like them adjusted so the walls and patio aren't sprayed. Does anyone know of someone that could make these adjustments? I could probably print off the instructions in Thai and include them with the shipment (and include the tools used to make the adjustments). There is no particular hurry, as I hope to have the parts shipped here by the end of August and the adjustments could be made anytime after they are installed.

Everything seems to be either installed with tape or repaired with tape.

Just had electricians install extra power outlets, and where ever they joined up cables, they used insulation tape (of course, they had to ask me for the tape!)

Junction boxes? Probably never heard of 'em.

Good luck with the sprinklers. It does being back memories.

Using bore water seems to be the way to go, but just mind it doesn't stain the walls of the house, if there's a high iron content.

I've moved to a rental house in Suthep, and thought the water smelled a bit strange while showering or washing the dishes, and then discovered that the bore water valve was permanently on and connected to the incoming town water. Soon fixed that.

Not sure if this is any help or not but I'm having a house built myself and want to install a sprinkler system. I came across a company called Lanna Sprinklers (Google it and you'll get their Facebook page). I have yet to get in touch with them myself, but they may be able to help you. Just a thought.

All the equipment you need for automatic sprinkler systems is available here including rotor popups and rain birds and has been for years. The people that do the installations are usually landscapers who know the right level to set the sprinklers at. If a landscaper does not do it, he knows somebody who does or he is not much of a landscaper. The sprinklers are mostly plastic so little worry about corrosion. If you buy the ones available locally which are good, then people here can install and adjust but if you buy the Hunter ones maybe nobody here will know how to make them work and you will again have given yourself a mud bath.

Chill out Dean, you are running yourself in circles. Hope you got the wall fixed.

• Like 1

I have just installed a sprinkler system, I used 1in PVC pipe and fittings for the runs and 1/2in tees off

I looked around and could not see decent sprinklers.

I bought Rain Bird 3504SM with swiver arms, also a 24VDC Controller

Purchased the items in the UK and posted to Thailand

Tried to find someone to instal, however could not find so DIY

Not difficult to install, I layed around 250metres of pipe

I'm more inclined to mail them here after I return to the U.S. next Wednesday. The cost of the Rainbird rotors wasn't much, around $150 shipped. The PVC pipe and connectors wasn't much and I paid the plumber 3,000 baht to install (I did dig myself the trench for the fours PVC pipes going from the control system to the outer reaches of the last head, at recommendation; 1 foot deep; not much fun). I've got 80,000 baht into the well and the tank. Yes, the water does stain the walls after repeated spraying (I hope that it doesn't affect the wall's foundation but shouldn't as I have a concrete gully surrounding 3 of the four walls which leads any excess water to the creek behind me). I wasn't going to bring up the leaning wall but it has gone from 3 inches out 2.5 years ago to 7.5 inches now. I'm assuming that it is going to cost at least $2,000 to tear it down and fix it right but I can't get any builders in the area interested in looking at it. The general contractor of my house (and wall) is going to look at it this weekend, so I can at least get an idea of what it will take to replace it properly. I do have two people that I trust that can inspect it daily to see that the foundation is deep enough and drainage is taken care of. I'm just about done with what I can do myself on the house. My wife several weeks ago had 4 bamboo trees torn out. I used my saws all and a hatchet to get rid of the stumps on the 2 bamboo trees that I had away from the wall, so grass can grow there. The other 2 series of stumps, I surrounded with paving bricks (they are near the front perimeter wall). I thin that I'll start chilling out Wednesday at the Delta Club at Narita and then continue for 4 hours at the Delta Club at Atlanta. By the time I reach Kansas City late Wednesday night, I should be all chilled out.

I'm more inclined to mail them here after I return to the U.S. next Wednesday. The cost of the Rainbird rotors wasn't much, around $150 shipped. The PVC pipe and connectors wasn't much and I paid the plumber 3,000 baht to install (I did dig myself the trench for the fours PVC pipes going from the control system to the outer reaches of the last head, at recommendation; 1 foot deep; not much fun). I've got 80,000 baht into the well and the tank. Yes, the water does stain the walls after repeated spraying (I hope that it doesn't affect the wall's foundation but shouldn't as I have a concrete gully surrounding 3 of the four walls which leads any excess water to the creek behind me). I wasn't going to bring up the leaning wall but it has gone from 3 inches out 2.5 years ago to 7.5 inches now. I'm assuming that it is going to cost at least $2,000 to tear it down and fix it right but I can't get any builders in the area interested in looking at it. The general contractor of my house (and wall) is going to look at it this weekend, so I can at least get an idea of what it will take to replace it properly. I do have two people that I trust that can inspect it daily to see that the foundation is deep enough and drainage is taken care of. I'm just about done with what I can do myself on the house. My wife several weeks ago had 4 bamboo trees torn out. I used my saws all and a hatchet to get rid of the stumps on the 2 bamboo trees that I had away from the wall, so grass can grow there. The other 2 series of stumps, I surrounded with paving bricks (they are near the front perimeter wall). I thin that I'll start chilling out Wednesday at the Delta Club at Narita and then continue for 4 hours at the Delta Club at Atlanta. By the time I reach Kansas City late Wednesday night, I should be all chilled out.

Well your wall and your sprinklers have been topics on this forum for years now, best of luck getting them resolved and have good flights.

The wall staining is usually iron in the water, so should not pose any problems to the strength. It gives that typical groundwater smell.

When cutting back stumps prior to removal, I painted them with neat 'Roundup' (Glyphosphate). This certainly stopped any new shoots or small bits of roots starting to grow.