How fresh does the bank letter need to be for extension of stay?

circusman

I'm not sure of the actual dates, but I go as close to my extension as possible, (day before) give them the bank book which they update to that day and get the letter together. (Make sure they get the account number right).

Never had a problem at immigration.

One week.

Correct.

Within 7 days of applying for the extension of stay.

The account or accounts have to be solely in your name, joint accounts not acceptable, unless it`s with a Thai wife and than, 1.6 million baht is required in those accounts.

No need for the letter to be in English. Best in Thai, easier for the bank, easier for Immigration.

There will be a bank charge of 100 baht for the letter.

Check with your bank as to how much notice they require to issue the letter and when you collect the letter, check that all the names of accounts, dates and balances are correct, and it is signed by the bank, before leaving the bank.

You hand over the original to Immigration, no need to make photo copies, unless to keep for your own reference.

Edited by Beetlejuice
  • Like 2

Last time I renewed in Jomtien they never ask for a Bank Letter..Only wanted to look at the Bank Book..No copies of that either...

I've never had them ask to look at the book. They've always accepted the manager's letter and the photocopies of pages in my bank book without comment. Most recently, Jomtien last December.

Unless they've published a new list of requirements, I would still get the letter and have pages in your bankbook photocopied ... ensuring that the letter date & amount and the last entry in the bank book are exactly the same. I've always got the letter the day I went to Immigrations or the day before, both apparently acceptable there, although that could vary from one office to another. Bangkok bank has always produced the letter for me and updated my bank book within ten minutes of my request while I waited.

Edited by Suradit69

Last time I extended my retirement visa at Nonthaburi Immigration, my letter from my Bangkok Bank was dated the day before, but they asked me to go to a Bangkok Bank nearby to get my bankbook updated to that very day!

That sounds like you were unlucky to get an officer on a 'off day'. I used to get my bank letter a few days before and update the bank book at the same time. I remember the time I had not updated my book for some weeks and even although the letter was only a few days old I had to go out and update the book. That was fair enough, and I have not made that mistake again.

One week.

Correct.

Within 7 days of applying for the extension of stay.

The account or accounts have to be solely in your name, joint accounts not acceptable, unless it`s with a Thai wife and than, 1.6 million baht is required in those accounts.

No need for the letter to be in English. Best in Thai, easier for the bank, easier for Immigration.

There will be a bank charge of 100 baht for the letter.

Check with your bank as to how much notice they require to issue the letter and when you collect the letter, check that all the names of accounts, dates and balances are correct, and it is signed by the bank, before leaving the bank.

You hand over the original to Immigration, no need to make photo copies, unless to keep for your own reference.

-in Pattaya it is one day with an update of the bank book the same day, balance must tally.

-we are using since 9 years a joint account, my wife is not Thai.

-Pattaya immigration accepts photocopies of the bank book.

edit for addendum:

-Pattaya immigration is now asking for two letters from the bank.

Edited by Naam