To bring or not to bring

Bmouthboyo

Hi guys,

So move day to Bangkok is only a week and a half away and so the packing begins!

My wife and I have decided to just pay for extra checked luggage opposed to shipping. So in total we will be bringing 5 suitcases, one of which is a flight case with my imac in it (another story and not ideal i know).

Now i am sure this has been discussed before but thought i woukd ask anyway after a failed search. I will be in a furnished accom provided by my employer for at least two years. From what i can gather it has the basics but no more. Can anyone advise on what I should or shouldnt pack?

So far it is work clothes, 2 suits, rugby kit, judo kit x2, PS3, Small HTPC, bread maker, some sentimental bits.

Cheers all

Kitchen gadgets, if you like to cook. And certain non-perishable food items.

Sounds like you're from a place with identical electric, so I'd say a toaster and coffee maker and mixer would be a good idea as the ones here are pricey and generally crap quality. Blender for protein shakes?

Small nutritional supplements. Multi-vitimans, etc. Expensive here, and questionable quality. PM if you have questions on specific items.

Edited by HeijoshinCool

Cotton sheets & pillow cases, really expensive here.

Forget toaster, dead cheap, if not good quality.

Bread maker, bread here is rubbish, bread makers expensive.

Shoes if you are bigger than 11US, local stuff only has smaller sizes.

No small appliance here approach the quality and price of back west.

Well everyone is different. If you had more time I would have told you to sell everything you own and bring only clothes and store your sentimental stuff back home.

Do you take supplements or vitamins? You may want to stock up until you find a source in BKK. Back up your iMac to small external drive and carry that with you on the plane. Your can get just about any consumer electronics or appliance in BKK but you will toss them out after a while. I would think short term personal items like medicine. Do you have a smart phone? Get the Sygic Southeast Asia GPS app now. You are going to wish you had it on day one.

Not sure if your have been to BKK but it is hot all the time 24/7 365. So many of my best clothes stayed behind because you just can't wear them! Impossible.

Edited by NCC1701A
  • Like 1

+1 on the cotton sheets and I had a heck of a time finding a decent potato masher finally found a nice one at isetan for 890 baht.

if you use a shaving brush they are no where to be found and perhaps a decent supply of razor blades whilst you adjust to poor quality ones here. the Mach 4 cost 530 baht for a three pack I think.

edit: I forgot if your from America or Canada pick up a magic jack for free calls to and from North America works like a charm both the old one and magic jack plus

Edited by ToddWeston

Forgetting the cooking stuff it is all available here and the excess baggage makes it not worth it. Forget clothes except light jumpers etc for your wife in airconditioned places. One essential is socks and underwear. You will not get your sizes here easily. Your wife will need bras and things that are aparently different here.

Forgetting the cooking stuff it is all available here and the excess baggage makes it not worth it. Forget clothes except light jumpers etc for your wife in airconditioned places. One essential is socks and underwear. You will not get your sizes here easily. Your wife will need bras and things that are aparently different here.

You have a big bum H ? whistling.gif ........................biggrin.png

• Like 2

although if you don't know the bed sizes, its pointless for fitted sheets. thai king is different

Edited by GirlDrinkDrunk

Yes - do you really need 2 suits? I have one suit for the few formal events I need to go to each year - but I never wear a suit for work. For meetings I may take a jacket - but then it ends up sitting on the back of the chair for the whole meeting.

As others have said - shoes tend to top out at US size 10/UK size 9 so bring decent shoes - although the heat and rain may destroy them in a few months.

And yes - good quality cotton sheets are expensive here.

Cheese is also crazy expensive - so if you've got the space bring some good cheese and a bottle of wine (you can only bring one bottle per person).

I never eat in (not worth the effort in Bangkok) so cooking equipment is only needed if you're a keen 'hobby' cook.

Most other things are available here - but don't forget some warmer clothes for trips back home in the winter.

If there's a chance you'll be riding a motorbike - then bring a good quality helmet and gloves.

Things like razor blades and aftershaves are expensive here too. Mind you they're not cheap in the u.k. I use the gillette fusion pro-glide blades which I've not seen here as yet. Decent bed linen and towels aren't cheap either. And if you like certain condiments (hp, branston pickle etc) stock up on those. There's probably a hundred things, so just concentrate on looking forward to your new life and anything you might have forgotten can most likely be sourced here anyway. Good luck!

Things like razor blades and aftershaves are expensive here too. Mind you they're not cheap in the u.k. I use the gillette fusion pro-glide blades which I've not seen here as yet. Decent bed linen and towels aren't cheap either. And if you like certain condiments (hp, branston pickle etc) stock up on those. There's probably a hundred things, so just concentrate on looking forward to your new life and anything you might have forgotten can most likely be sourced here anyway. Good luck!

fusion blades at big c

• Like 1

You have a big bum H ? whistling.gif ........................biggrin.png

Commandocheesy.gif

• Like 1

Comfortable hot weather walking shoes that actually fit you and can take some precipitation.

That's the biggest mistake I've made this time round, I've got plenty of dress shoes and nothing decent for a day time. Luckily my sister is flying in soon so she'll restock me.

Comfortable hot weather walking shoes that actually fit you and can take some precipitation.

That's the biggest mistake I've made this time round, I've got plenty of dress shoes and nothing decent for a day time. Luckily my sister is flying in soon so she'll restock me.

Her feet are the same size as yours?

• Like 1

Though I buy them in USA these are definitely my preference for shoes in Thailand:

http://www.teva.co.uk/

Problem is here shoes and clothes have just about the highest customs duty of all.

That is probably a good reason to carry some with him.

My preference among the Teva line is http://www.teva.com/mens-dozer-iii-water-hiking-shoe-hybrid/4154,default,pd.html?dwvar_4154_color=BLKO&start=13&cgid=men-sandals

I really haven't worn anything else for several years. The closed toes are nice and give you some protection.

No small appliance here approach the quality and price of back west.

For higher end appliances, I would agree. But for things like a toaster and even a hand mixer, the prices and quality here are fine.

I have my high end appliances (VitaMix, Braun mixer, meat slicer, etc) in one corner of my kitchen clustered around my big transformer (not one of the little travel transformers, but a big heavy duty one) and my Thai-bought appliances on the other side of the kitchen.

Aside from food items and kitchen tools/pots/appliances, I have brought high thread-count Egyptian cotton sheets (three sets), razor blades, high-end shaving gel, plenty of underwear, a high-end modem/router, an Apple TV (really a good investment in order to watch US shows on your Thai television set) presents (usually perfume/chocolate/vitamins/beauty accessories), and tools. My next thing to bring? I bought a New Braunsfel offset BBQ and will take it apart and carry it back in my luggage. It would be $700 to ship via sea freight ($400 just getting it from Denver to the port of Long Beach), and I think I can get it in free via my luggage, even if that might limit what else I bring back.

Though I buy them in USA these are definitely my preference for shoes in Thailand:

Problem is here shoes and clothes have just about the highest customs duty of all.

My preference among the Teva line is http://www.teva.com/mens-dozer-iii-water-hiking-shoe-hybrid/4154,default,pd.html?dwvar_4154_color=BLKO&start=13&cgid=men-sandals

I really haven't worn anything else for several years. The closed toes are nice and give you some protection.

I buy the exact same model -- closed toe sandals for riding the Honda Wave but I also have open toe varieties -- but that specific model was not on the UK website. I thought K. Blether said his sister was coming to visit so she could bring them with her if she can get them quick enough.

I buy the exact same model -- closed toe sandals for riding the Honda Wave but I also have open toe varieties -- but that specific model was not on the UK website. I thought K. Blether said his sister was coming to visit so she could bring them with her if she can get them quick enough.

She might like to bring some for the OP too.

Thank you all so much for these great replies. Reading some of the other threads I thought I might get flamed!

I have not actually been to thailand before however my wife has a few years back. I have a friend who is TEFL'ing out there and loves it so been picking his brains.

Regarding what to bring my imac unfortunately is way too big for hand luggage so it is going in the hold with a flight case, fingers crossed. I shave with DE blades so that will be easy to stock up thanks. We are actually keen cooks back in the UK so although I know not really cost effective in LOS we would like the option to knock the odd curry or pasta dish up. Silly question but is flour, yeast etc readily available at comparative UK prices?

Regarding UK electronics will they run on thai voltage OK? Or require a transformer of sorts?

Wine is going to be one of our biggest sacrifices as I love the stuff, so a bottle each for special occasions is a great idea thanks. Would that be best as hang luggage? Some Holy Puree sauce also a must.

Clothes shopping I am finding hard as I am trying to buy heat sensible stuff but also trying to avoid shirts and T-shirt look that I know thais can find too casual at all but the beach and parks. I get hot fairly fast so in for a rough initiation I think. I have one pair of work shoes, rugby boots, trainers, sandals and some casual pumps. Are decent smellies like Armani black etc readily available or worth bringing?

Thanks again guys and gals

Well everyone is different. If you had more time I would have told you to sell everything you own and bring only clothes and store your sentimental stuff back home.

Do you take supplements or vitamins? You may want to stock up until you find a source in BKK. Back up your iMac to small external drive and carry that with you on the plane. Your can get just about any consumer electronics or appliance in BKK but you will toss them out after a while. I would think short term personal items like medicine. Do you have a smart phone? Get the Sygic Southeast Asia GPS app now. You are going to wish you had it on day one.

Not sure if your have been to BKK but it is hot all the time 24/7 365. So many of my best clothes stayed behind because you just can't wear them! Impossible.

I have been looking at Sygic Southeast Asia GPS as it is on sale for £21.99, is there any difference between that and the Thailand version? I wondered if the thailand one had more attractions or something? Also is it recommended even if not driving? I will be based in BKK mainly but hopefully venture out whenever possible. Edited by Bmouthboyo