To bring or not to bring

Bmouthboyo

Well everyone is different. If you had more time I would have told you to sell everything you own and bring only clothes and store your sentimental stuff back home.

Do you take supplements or vitamins? You may want to stock up until you find a source in BKK. Back up your iMac to small external drive and carry that with you on the plane. Your can get just about any consumer electronics or appliance in BKK but you will toss them out after a while. I would think short term personal items like medicine. Do you have a smart phone? Get the Sygic Southeast Asia GPS app now. You are going to wish you had it on day one.

Not sure if your have been to BKK but it is hot all the time 24/7 365. So many of my best clothes stayed behind because you just can't wear them! Impossible.

I have been looking at Sygic Southeast Asia GPS as it is on sale for £21.99, is there any difference between that and the Thailand version? I wondered if the thailand one had more attractions or something? Also is it recommended even if not driving? I will be based in BKK mainly but hopefully venture out whenever possible.

I don't have any experience with the Thailand only version. I would think it is just as good as the SE version. I used it with a iPhone 4. The thing about this app is the database is completely contained on your phone, so no cell network is required to use it. I drove all over Thailand and had zero problems. I used it in taxis, buses and trains. No more "lost" taxi drivers. Also works great on iPad which sat on the center console in my rental car. Never lost GPS lock. In "Walk" mode you have to walk at a fast pace for the GPS to get its bearings but then no problem. Sometimes like all cities were there are too many tall building in Bangkok and being on foot it would take awhile to find a open sky space. I used it on a scooter with headphone and the voice guidance would say "turn here" and there was no need to look at the map or display. I have a favorites list of every place I wanted to go loaded before I hit the road. I programed the address of my hotel before I left the US and watched the taxi driver take me straight there from the air port. It has a very large POI database. Hotels, businesses, food, hospitals. It even knows where Soi Cowboy is!

Edited by NCC1701A

Since you're bringing a computer, maybe a quality, reasonably priced surge protector.

I ''had'' one of those, it went up in smoke for no reason. sad.png

Every single "surge protector" that I have bought here, even the most expensive, have gone bad in no time. Usually switches stop switching, but I had a DVD player get fried even though I'd paid 2000 baht for a unit at a computer shop. Melted inside. No thunder and lightning. Just melted. I guess it must have been a serious power spike. OP, the power here is as dirty as a sailor's language. Mine goes out 4 or five times a week.

Power here is same: 200v 50 hz

Bring a real surge protector or might as well leave the Mac at home.

Regarding flour Central World BKK has lots of Waitrose flour self rising and the likes around 250 baht they also carry maldon salt but it's plus 300 baht. If you love or hate marmite it's 189 baht. I'm a Marks and Sparks extra strong boy and it's 489 baht to give you some idea. You may want to learn about curing meat bacon etc, I adore gravlax even better than smoked salmon. For bacon some recipes call for salt Peter which is difficult to find as well as sausage casings.

One item I'd love to find here is a decent baking dish pot for cassoulet and lancashire hot pot so far no luck. Something the size that would fit into the mini toaster ovens would do the trick.

I mentioned in a previous post about a shaving brush, I find lathering up softens the bristles and there is obviously no need for shaving cream or gel but he added bonus is I'm able to use lower quality blades and actually get a much nicer shave.

I feel your pain about wine it's one thing I miss a lot, but I miss port even more and that is super hard to come by compared to the UK.

Finally if you are on a low dosage aspirin routine either 75 or 81 mg those tablets are slow release which is the benefit, low dose aspirin here are not coated as slow release.

happy travels

Well everyone is different. If you had more time I would have told you to sell everything you own and bring only clothes and store your sentimental stuff back home.

Do you take supplements or vitamins? You may want to stock up until you find a source in BKK. Back up your iMac to small external drive and carry that with you on the plane. Your can get just about any consumer electronics or appliance in BKK but you will toss them out after a while. I would think short term personal items like medicine. Do you have a smart phone? Get the Sygic Southeast Asia GPS app now. You are going to wish you had it on day one.

Not sure if your have been to BKK but it is hot all the time 24/7 365. So many of my best clothes stayed behind because you just can't wear them! Impossible.

Dont waste money on sygic as google maps now has voice for thailand as is free.

The other thing you can do is look at the websites here........ Tesco, Big C and Big C Extra, Index, Home Pro, Ikea, Makro..+ many more....... will give a good idea on what things cost here.....

Re electric things bit pot luck how long they last, the cables just don't last so a "surge protector" is a good idea......... I have had lots here, but the one from the UK is 15 years old used 24/7......... Toaster, hot water pot, Rice cooker, Microwave etc I bought here in November 2002........ The DVD player from UK is over 15 years old, still used a lot, but one bought here same make Panasonic lasted just over 1 year !!

As for "Centrum" I think is is very expensive per tub here, last time when I was in Australia I bought 5 tub as works out 1/2 the price...

Anything metal here goes rusty very fast......... plastic goes brittle and breaks fast, both = climate here

Edited by ignis
  • Like 1

The other thing you can do is look at the websites here........ Tesco, Big C and Big C Extra, Index, Home Pro, Ikea, Makro..+ many more....... will give a good idea on what things cost here.....

Re electric things bit pot luck how long they last, the cables just don't last so a "surge protector" is a good idea......... I have had lots here, but the one from the UK is 15 years old used 24/7......... Toaster, hot water pot, Rice cooker, Microwave etc I bought here in November 2002........ The DVD player from UK is over 15 years old, still used a lot, but one bought here same make Panasonic lasted just over 1 year !!

As for "Centrum" I think is is very expensive per tub here, last time when I was in Australia I bought 5 tub as works out 1/2 the price...

Anything metal here goes rusty very fast......... plastic goes brittle and breaks fast, both = climate here[/quot

If I may add http://www.verasu.com/

Some of the brands are well known and prices are shown.

Great advice here :)

I have never used a surge protector here in the UK, I think the Mrs of all people has one for her PC but I expect it is a cheap one. Anyone recommend one here in blighty that will be worth buying and bringing? Last thing I need is frying my iMac after its epic journey and case that cost near on a flight ticket lol

Overall very excited, only hard thing is we have been spending more time with our family and friends in the run up to leaving and it makes it all a little harder. Just keep telling myself only live once, chin up :)

Great advice here smile.png

I have never used a surge protector here in the UK, I think the Mrs of all people has one for her PC but I expect it is a cheap one. Anyone recommend one here in blighty that will be worth buying and bringing? Last thing I need is frying my iMac after its epic journey and case that cost near on a flight ticket lol

Overall very excited, only hard thing is we have been spending more time with our family and friends in the run up to leaving and it makes it all a little harder. Just keep telling myself only live once, chin up smile.png

I really find some of this advice hard to understand. Yes you need a surge protecter. Yes you can buy one here and not pay freight. Yes it will cost about 50% more than there but you can get good ones here.

If you have something I can understand bringing it because otherwise you would have to throw it away but if you have to buy anything other than clothes........especially shoes and underclothes forget it.

I already had one the surge protector tower.......... as said used every day 24/7 for 15 years...... http://www.maplin.co.uk/10-way-surge-socket-tower-220694

I also have a number of UPS units bought here.... you do need to change the batteries often, last about 8 months, but only cost around 300 baht...

Here you can buy the Surge power strips, even the very expensive one fail well within a year, oddly a cheap one last just as long and cost 1/3 of the price... [must have had 20 or more bought here, all the same switches fail, some catch fire] = now for past 3 or so years have 4 UPS units

Of course if you bring a surge protector from UK, remember to bring some adaptors as here is 2 pin... surge protector strip or tower is light, so will not add much weight to your suitcase

Edit we are talking about the Surge power strips, NOT not the surge protector UPS units, good make here

http://www.apc.com/site/products/index.cfm/homeoffice/?segmentID=1&ISOCountryCode=th

Edited by ignis

I already had one the surge protector tower.......... as said used every day 24/7 for 15 years...... http://www.maplin.co.uk/10-way-surge-socket-tower-220694

I also have a number of UPS units bought here.... you do need to change the batteries often, last about 8 months, but only cost around 300 baht...

Here you can buy the Surge power strips, even the very expensive one fail well within a year, oddly a cheap one last just as long and cost 1/3 of the price... [must have had 20 or more bought here, all the same switches fail, some catch fire] = now for past 3 or so years have 4 UPS units

Of course if you bring a surge protector from UK, remember to bring some adaptors as here is 2 pin... surge protector strip or tower is light, so will not add much weight to your suitcase

Edit we are talking about the Surge power strips, NOT not the surge protector UPS units, good make here

http://www.apc.com/site/products/index.cfm/homeoffice/?segmentID=1&ISOCountryCode=th

It is quite natural that a standard surge supressor fails. It shows it works. THey are like a fuse and the semiconductor that stopped the surge commits suicide. You need to replace the semiconductor or the item. Be sure that if it has failed it has probably stopped the item having a more expensive failure.

It is quite natural that a standard surge supressor fails. It shows it works. THey are like a fuse and the semiconductor that stopped the surge commits suicide. You need to replace the semiconductor or the item. Be sure that if it has failed it has probably stopped the item having a more expensive failure.

Yes all the ones I have/had had a push button re-set....... if this did not work you unscrewed the button and replaced the fuse..

But this does not stop the Thai ones from switches not working after or actually catching fire and starting to melt.

Great advice here :)

Overall very excited, only hard thing is we have been spending more time with our family and friends in the run up to leaving and it makes it all a little harder. Just keep telling myself only live once, chin up :)

Don't buy a surge protecter. Buy a UPS which also has surge protection included. Buy only APC brand from US, not the Thai made crap. As this stuff is heavy, buy it in Thailand for reasonable costs.

Blimey never heard of a UPS before. They are fairly pricey, why would they be better than a good quality surge protector strip / tower other than continuous power if fails for a while? Would i need to buy one for each applience area? I.e one for ps3, htpc, plasma and one for imac, macbook etc?

Regarding freight light things are fine as we are pre checking extra baggage so each has upto 23kg opposed to paying excess at weighing which is pricier per kg.

Blimey never heard of a UPS before. They are fairly pricey, why would they be better than a good quality surge protector strip / tower other than continuous power if fails for a while? Would i need to buy one for each applience area? I.e one for ps3, htpc, plasma and one for imac, macbook etc?

Regarding freight light things are fine as we are pre checking extra baggage so each has upto 23kg opposed to paying excess at weighing which is pricier per kg.

ups is slightly optional. As well as the standard surge supression it keeps power to the computer and monitor for about 10 minutes so you can shut down without data loss and prevents short interuptions to the power shutting down the comp or causing the comp to hang. Highly desirable and if your power is very variable needed but many places power is not as unreliable as people say.

Yes you would need one for each.

Edited by harrry

Relax, it's not deepest jungle here. Civilisation is just round the corner. If you are going to live in BKK and are on a good salary then you have no worries.

If you have a more limited budget then that's not a problem either... you need to simply adjust.

Loading yourself with imagined 'must have' items may lead to short term satisfaction but unless your income satisfies it, they are short term fixes.

The reality is that you learn to adapt, convert, adjust, modify and eventually it becomes normal..... just like you had before you came here!

3 - 4,000 baht is cheap compared to what a i-Mac cost, better than a fried hard drive or Motherboard...

For TV's and all the items for TV's [DVD etc] have just the cheap Thai ones 1,600 baht.. or the Surge protector strip 3 - 700 baht [ as said before appear little difference how long a Thai one last cheap or more expensive]

As for 'but many places power is not as unreliable as people say' guess where you live, mine pops off, sometimes just for a few seconds, but often many times a day for the past 10 years, been off at least 6 times today and is only 6:30 pm.

3 - 4,000 baht is cheap compared to what a i-Mac cost, better than a fried hard drive or Motherboard...

For TV's and all the items for TV's [DVD etc] have just the cheap Thai ones 1,600 baht.. or the Surge protector strip 3 - 700 baht [ as said before appear little difference how long a Thai one last cheap or more expensive]

As for 'but many places power is not as unreliable as people say' guess where you live, mine pops off, sometimes just for a few seconds, but often many times a day for the past 10 years, been off at least 6 times today and is only 6:30 pm.

I shave with DE blades so that will be easy to stock up thanks.

Excellent! You can buy a box of 100 DE blades cheaper here at a beauty supply here than you can there. Astras, Feathers, Lords, Gillettes. Shaving soap or cream, though, "no hab." (Members here believe wrongly that foam and gels are creams, and most all get it from a can.) Knowing this, I got 1 kg of Cella last time I was in the USA; it's great and will last forever: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Cella-Crema-Barba-Shaving-Soap/dp/B00BPUJJ92

Surge protectors: we got Belkin in Thailand, international brand, quite good enough, reasonable price.

+1 on walking shoes, motorcycle gear (rainsuit!), vitamins. I often wear light hiking boots everywhere: the sidewalks and roads hazardous.

Miscellaneous (apologies if some have been mentioned):

small "genuine" keychain multitool, led light, belt hanger for keys

quality non-residue electrical and duct/gaffer tape: http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_c_0_5/275-0159877-6201535?url=search-alias%3Ddiy&field-keywords=duct%20tape&sprefix=duct+%2Cdrugstore%2C847

quality ballpoint pens (ink dries up in all Thai pens in a few months)

cigars (THE biggest ripoff in Thailand)

large supply of good socks; Thai socks quickly wear through

good sunglasses; can't trust Thai, not UV resistant, international brands overpriced

multimedia player like WDTV Live, if voltage OK

suspension trainer (http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_c_0_3?url=search-alias%3Dsports&field-keywords=trx&sprefix=trx%2Cdiy%2C356&rh=n%3A318949011%2Ck%3Atrx)--though can make one here cheap if you're motivated; I did

female vibrator wink.png

a tailored suit/shirt/pants that can be used as a specification for tailors here

extra shoelaces in the right length

paracord comes in handy sometimes, like when you're exiting a burning building wink.png (http://www.amazon.co.uk/BCB-CM030-Paracord-Breaking-Strain/dp/B002UONUUQ/ref=sr_1_2?s=sports&ie=UTF8&qid=1375077887&sr=1-2&keywords=550+paracord)

spare keyboard?

suitable walking hat in the style you prefer

quality backpack w/ sternum strap to prevent inconvenience/loss while on motorbike

good earplugs, bulk package cheap there

thin wallet

pacsafe (http://www.amazon.co.uk/Pacsafe-CoverSafe-Secure-Waist-Wallet/dp/B000PCTLYO/ref=sr_1_1?s=sports&ie=UTF8&qid=1375078335&sr=1-1&keywords=pacsafe)

aftershave has been mentioned; how about colognes--no discount here.

coffee grinder, Thai voltage

spindle of double density DVDs (such as: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Verbatim-43666-Data-Life-DVD/dp/B0015Y9LQY/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1375080003&sr=8-1&keywords=double+density+dvd). Hard to find quality here.

Welcome to Thailand!

Edited by JSixpack